CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all. I accidentally purchased a GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H but I meant to get the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH instead for the Thunderbolt capabilities..

With many thanks to this site, I assembled my first Hackintosh and successfully installed Mac OS X 10.8.... but in my excitement, didn't realize that I ordered the wrong motherboard until afterwards :banghead:

My question is this:

If I was to replace the current Motherboard with the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, would it be recommended that I reinstall Mountain Lion from scratch?

Or - since they're both are Z77 boards from the same brand, are they closely related enough that I would need to?

In the meantime I've been able to load some of my audio software and have it successfully run with my audio interface, which is an RME Fireface 800 - via the on-board Firewire port... runs smooth as silk!

Also, I must note that I'm not using any of the onboard audio; matter of fact the only option I checked when using Multibeast was 'UserDSDT or DSDT-free installation'.

I have no plans of using the on-board audio, as the interface handles all that just fine...

The reason I would like to have Thunderbolt capability is that I plan to use a Universal Audio Apollo, which is a new Thunderbolt-ready audio interface.

Thanks in advance & I look forward to continuing to learn & contribute!

Don't know for sure but I would guess that you could switch those boards without issue. Be sure to set the bios up to match your current settings. Of course as always, do a backup first.

do a fresh install, at least you can add another notch to your experience in the number of installs, and solve future problems.

Many thanks for the input fellas!

I ended up doing a clean install and lots of experimentation, but now I seem to have a pretty solid setup!

Looks like I'll be testing the Thunderbolt ports early next week to see if they work.

Only issue I seem to have is that the 2 front USB 3.0 ports don't work with USB 2.0 flash drives.

They do work USB 3.0 devices, mouse, keyboard (which is an old USB 1.0 Apple keyboard), and my 2 dongles (which are USB 2.0)...

.. and the USB 3.0 ports in the back work fine with anything 2.0 or 3.0..

Lastly, it looks like I'll be using the original MOBO for upgrading my home studio rig, as I won't have a need for Thunderbolt and can use the extra SATA 6GB port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back