Contribute
Register

My First G5 Mod (ATX): all suggestions are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z97
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everyone. I am in the process of modding a G5 chassis for the first time. I'm thinking about trying my hand at doing as little cutting as possible with whatever method of modding that is quick and easy for me to do. I plan to cut out the excess pieces from the chassis using a drimmel hand saw and using masking tape to mask-off as much of the exterior to prevent from cutting more than what's needed. If need be, I can paint the chassis after I'm finished. I plan on using only brush aluminum metal accessories for my mod so everything matches the chassis to minimize the need for painting.

My main goals are to change the front panel power button & I/O connections (if there's a kit available, where can I find it?), to modify the rear of the chassis with a new back panel (preferable w/ a 120mm fan opening), and install a motherboard tray for my motherboard. However, I have come across this back panel and this I/O panel but to me, the I/O panel doesn't look seamless when joining it w/ the back panel. I would like to know where to purchase other examples of suitable back panels and motherboard trays for an ATX motherboard. The end result I'm looking for is to align motherboard so that it sits flush against the I/O back plate towards the rear of the chassis. If it is not necessary for me to keep the existing original PCI card slots then I can do without them.

Here are the specs for my new machine:

• Intel Core i7-4770K (currently have)
  • EVGA Z87 FTW (ATX) (being shipped)
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 (currently have)
  • Noctua NH-U14S (CPU fan)) (being shipped)
  • ASUS BW-12B1ST (currently have)
  • OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB (currently have)
  • Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB (currently have)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX680 SC (currently have)
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (currently have) (I plan on upgrading the memory later)
  • Patriot Dual Bay 2.5" SATA 3.5" drive bay (for SSD) (being shipped)
Since I am using a 1000W PSU in my system and I am not willing to take it apart to fit it into the Powermac's PSU housing, I have no choice but to place it on the bottom left part of the case. What methods do you guys prefer to use to keep it from moving around and secure?

So far, the only progress I have made was that I have gutted out the whole chassis and washed it.

I definitely could use some pointers from anyone experienced in this type of thing to ensure I get this done right and I would appreciate the help. Thanks

12474967164_cabff3c1b4_b_d.jpg12474462485_a4052baaaa_b_d.jpg12474600233_3d38dbac53_b_d.jpg12474404005_b3b1bf4994_b_d.jpg
12474390375_f6f95265e2_b_d.jpg12474377975_219c16f1b5_b_d.jpg12474585733_e1eb119ce7_b_d.jpg
12474569983_7aaa6ef9db_b_d.jpg

Frank - Welcome to the forum.

If you have not looked at the offerings from the Laser Hive you should go to this link:

http://www.thelaserhive.com/

These are some of the most complete conversion kits available today with top notch quality and support.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks neil for the homecoming welcome. I am impressed with the ATX conversion kits on the laserhive site. I briefly got a chance to look at their other products w/ the limited amount of time I had. They definitely look more seamless than Mountain Mods and they appear to be mesh well with the chassis and they still leave the power outlet exposed which is a plus. Do you know where they're located out of?

Yes the laser Hive is in the UK. However they ship all over.

Good modding,
neil

The original front panel I/O can be re-used. You could create a front panel cable by yourself or buy a ready-made cable from here. I bought cable from BlackCH mods for my mod. Superb quality and price wasn't that bad.

If you are willing to do some soldering, tutorial for the cable can be found here.

My suggestion is take your time and read through this forum to get ideas. Do not rush and have lots of fun..

Ricky

Look at my thread. I use 3m tape. I tried taking my psu apart to fit it in the g5 psu chasis, just didnt turn out the way i want it.

@Kiuruja: Thanks for the reference. That seems more cost effective and less technical than building one myself. If you don't mind, do you have pics of your build that I could see with the front panel alterations.

@rickyreall84: Thanks, I definitely understand. Best believe I'm taking my time on contemplating what items to purchase when accessorizing my chassis.

@hytekazn: Could you post the URL of your post if you don't mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back