RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

I've managed to set up my first Hackintosh build with UniBeast, following the installation guide here. As you can see in my profile, I used mainly the recommended parts from the buyer's guide, except for the ATI GPU that still satisfies my occasional gaming and video editing needs.

The installation process was pretty straightforward thanks to the great step-by-step description in the guide. After solving some minor troubles and doing some minor tweaking with MulitBeast and Clover Configurator, I have a running system now including
  • HDMI Audio
  • Bluetooth
  • iMessage/FaceTime (that one took some time and several attempts)
  • Booting Win10 from Clover after re-installing it in UEFI mode
However, the biggest problem that remains now, is that my machine freezes all the time. I can't fully reproduce every occasion, but it happens especially when playing some embedded video content on websites. But it can also happen occasionally when I just let the machine idle for a few mins. When it happens, I can still move the move over the screen but everything is unresponsive... clicking, typing, hovering over the dock...
When it happens, the only thing that helps, is a hard reboot... followed by a couple of freezes while booting up.

I'm not sure if this is related to my R280 graphics card or if I have to make some changes in my config.plist (or something totally different). To be honest, I would love to hear that it's my GPU and I should switch to a GTX because the fact that I can't use the sleep/wake function is very annoying.

Would be great if someone could give me hint into the right direction!

Are you overclocked at all? If so, you may need to feed more voltage to the CPU. I had issues like this on my 4690K where it would work great until I tried rendering video in FCPX or had heavy network traffic. Added a little bit of voltage to stabilize the CPU under load.

Nope, no overclocking since I built this new setup. Wanted to get it stable first. And I doubt that it's a CPU issue because it doesn't happen when using Geekbench or playing a game on Steam. Trying right now to reproduce/narrow down the issue and see if I can find something in the system.log.

Looks more and more video related to me. I just realized that it also seems to appear every time when I hover over a live photo in the Photo app (which would start the live animation/video).

OK, I managed to narrow it down to something that really looks like a graphics issue. Besides this live photo issue (that happens every time), It also happens in Safari and Chrome when playing video. I was able to track the event down in system.log:

Code:
Mar  7 23:28:45 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.WebKit.Networking.9F4A0AF5-B276-4EF2-AE3C-4EBEF56D3E10[556]): Service exited with abnormal code: 1
Mar  7 23:28:48 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Mar  7 23:28:54 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
Mar  7 23:28:56 Hackintosh gamed[581]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[mach_recv] monitored resource vanished before the source cancel handler was invoked

Code:
Mar  7 23:45:10 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.

Code:
Mar  7 23:53:24 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.single.04000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar  7 23:53:26 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.mdworker.single.07000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar  7 23:53:33 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.

This is what happens when I leave the machine idle for some time:

Code:
Mar  8 12:13:38 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Mar  8 12:14:43 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
Mar  8 12:14:52 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar  8 12:15:13 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Mar  8 12:15:13 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
Mar  8 12:15:19 Hackintosh kcm[771]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Setting timer interval to 0 requests a 1ns timer, did you mean FOREVER (a one-shot timer)?
Mar  8 12:15:19 Hackintosh syslogd[37]: ASL Sender Statistics
Mar  8 12:15:22 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar  8 12:15:34 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
Mar  8 12:15:43 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar  8 12:15:54 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
Mar  8 12:16:03 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.
Mar  8 12:16:14 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 1 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 9 seconds.
Mar  8 12:16:23 Hackintosh com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.DumpGPURestart): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Same freezer. Mouse works, Spotify keeps playing but everything is unresponsive.

OK thanks, looks like a really quick fix. I'll give it a try.

But this still doesn't explain why the same issue is happening with any type of video or animation. I can reproduce it every time when hovering over an imported iPhone photo. The moment, when the live animation would start, the machine hangs. I can leave the Photo app running while doing other stuff for hours and it won't crash. Same happens to embedded videos/animations e.g. on apple.com or when zooming into product photos on Amazon.

I got my hands on a GTX 1060 recently and tried it out in my system. The issues disappeared so I upgraded my build now with a EVGA GTX 1060 SC. No freezes since then and sleep/wake also works as expected now.

I got my hands on a GTX 1060 recently and tried it out in my system. The issues disappeared so I upgraded my build now with a EVGA GTX 1060 SC. No freezes since then and sleep/wake also works as expected now.
Marked as Solved.
Please change details of your Graphics Card in your profile (personal details).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back