Contribute
Register

My first build, is everything here compatible and the best option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I made a build within my budget (≈2000GBP) and I would like you to just have a look and tell me your thoughts, and if I should proceed with this. I also have a few reasonings for my decisions and a few questions along the way, so thanks to everyone that is willing to read and help me out. I am very new at this without much experience, so I would like the parts to be as compatible as possible, so I don't face many problems during the installation.

This computer will be used for music/audio production/editing (professionally), so keep that in mind.

Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
Corsair H60 (2018) 57.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda Pro 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
MSI Radeon RX 560 - 1024 4GB AERO ITX Video Card
NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
TP-Link Archer T9E PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Samsung - U28E590D 28.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor
  • CPU: Since I am ‘confined’ to Intel, I think this is the best reasonable CPU I can find. I saw a post where someone said that it’s important for music production to have as many threads as possible, so my mind went to AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X. I clarified that I want a smooth setup process as I am not a programmer, so I should probably avoid this processor.
  • Motherboard: My main reason for selecting this motherboard is that it has 2 M.2 ports that I can connect the SSD’s and create the raid.
  • CPU Cooler: I just picked this one mostly at random. I do want a really good/quiet/effective cooler but I am not sure what to look. I want my computer to be quiet as I have recordings and work with audio. Do you have any suggestions? I can go a bit higher in price, and my motherboard seems to support better cooling systems.
  • Memory: 16GB hurts a bit but it should be OK for now. RAM prices are off the charts atm, so it will be my next upgrade. It should be ok for the near future since it’s 3200. Do you think I need more /different model?
  • Storage: My concept for this was to buy two identical M.2 SSD’s and create a raid. I paid quite a bit for this since I also had to find a motherboard with 2 M.2 ports, but I hope the speeds will be off the charts here. 5000MB/s X2.
  • GPU: I was initially planning to get a very basic graphics card since I thought I don’t need it for audio. Some people pointed out that GPU actually helps with a lot of things and could improve the performance with many of my plug-ins (VST). I think this is a good, middle of the road card which does also power 2 4K monitors (for the future). I understand GPU’s are important for the whole hackintosh thing, so is this one alright?
  • Power Supply: My build is 325W, so I should be alright with power. Do you think I need more/less? Also, is this a good model?
  • Case: I just put a random case as an estimate for price, but I can go higher if I need to. Do you have any good cases to recommend that could facilitate the things that I included? Some USB’s on the front would be good.
So that’s all for now. A few extra questions;
  1. Will any of these parts perform not as they are meant to perform? I saw a ****** post that said that somebody build a machine with the threadripper but it was not performing as well as it can. Is it possible to run into any kinds of problems like this? Will all the parts that I’ve picked perform as well as if I had Windows?
  2. I need to connect FireWire to the computer for my sound card. Where would you suggest I plug it into for maximum performance?
  3. Do I need the TP-Link - Archer T9E PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter?? I saw it recommended on here but my motherboard has Wi-Fi. Is this a hackingtosh thing or I should be OK with my motherboards wifi?
Please feel free to let me know anything else I should be aware about this build and mackintosh in general. If you all approve of this I will go ahead and get it. Thank you very much for reading this whole book, I appreciate your help.

The system should be compatible with MacOS High Sierra.

(1) They should if you install a compatible MacOS version. For your case that means High Sierra.
(2) You need Firewire? Then you will need a supported Firewire PCIe expansion card as current motherboards no longer support Firewire.
(3) Yes, if you want WiFi functions in MacOS. The WiFi hardware that comes with that motherboard may not be compatible with MacOS High Sierra.

The system should be compatible with MacOS High Sierra.

(1) They should if you install a compatible MacOS version. For your case that means High Sierra.
(2) You need Firewire? Then you will need a supported Firewire PCIe expansion card as current motherboards no longer support Firewire.
(3) Yes, if you want WiFi functions in MacOS. The WiFi hardware that comes with that motherboard may not be compatible with MacOS High Sierra.

Thanks! Is there a way to know whether my motherboards wi-fi is compatible or nor?

Thanks! Is there a way to know whether my motherboards wi-fi is compatible or nor?

Hi,
Have you done the build yet? I currently have almost the same identical build and also for audio production as well! Did the wifi card work on your macOS High Sierra, and will i need a graphics card (looking towards integrated graphics from cpu). I'll be using logic 10.4 and a lot of Native and Omnisphere plugins and string libraries etc.

If you got any pictures of your final build, can you please take a few photos?
Thanks a lot! :)

Hi,
I currently have almost the same identical build and also for audio production as well! Did the wifi card work on your macOS High Sierra ?
Thanks! Is there a way to know whether my motherboards wi-fi is compatible or not ?

If the included Wifi card is made by Intel you can be certain that it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back