Contribute
Register

My FCPX Build - Noob here, help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm about to make this purchase so I wanted to see what you guys think, and if I'm going to run into any pitfalls. I've included links so you can take a look at the parts too. This is my first time, pushed into it because I just can't handle the current pricing Apple has going on, but I love FCPX.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB Type-C Thunderbolt 3 (here)
Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K SkyLake 4.0GHz LGA 1151 Boxed Processor (here)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB 4 x 8GB DDR4-2400 PC4-19200 CL16 Quad Channel (here)

Video Cards: 2x Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 Overclocked 4GB GDDR5 Video Card w/ WindForce Cooling (here)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal SSD (this is super common I'm not linking ;))

Power Supply: Corsair CX Series CX750M 750 Watt ATX Modular Power Supply (here)

I'm considering getting a cheaper motherboard with just dual 16x PCI and no Thunderbolt 3, and making my workflow all USB3. It'd save me a chunk of change.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks!

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 LGA 1151 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB Type-C Thunderbolt 3 (here)
I'm considering getting a cheaper motherboard with just dual 16x PCI and no Thunderbolt 3, and making my workflow all USB3. It'd save me a chunk of change.

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks!

Why are they charging over $500 for a Gigabyte Z170X motherboard. Can't imagine how that would be a good investement.
There are other ways you can get Thunderbolt. Take a look at the GA Designare motherboard. You can buy one for less than
half the price of the one you've listed.

Why are they charging over $500 for a Gigabyte Z170X motherboard. Can't imagine how that would be a good investement.
There are other ways you can get Thunderbolt. Take a look at the GA Designare motherboard. You can buy one for less than
half the price of the one you've listed.

It's one of the only ones I could find in stock with 2+ 16x PCI slots. I was looking at the z170 cause the ease of install. Are the GA Designare's just as easy?

It's one of the only ones I could find in stock with 2+ 16x PCI slots. I was looking at the z170 cause the ease of install. Are the GA Designare's just as easy?
There's really no need for 16 PCI-e lanes when using an RX460 graphics card. You wouldn't saturate the bus or even come close when using that card. So running dual 460's in x8 slots will work perfectly well. If you want to you could run a single RX 480 8GB card in the first x16 slot if you're worried about having enough bandwidth. The Designare motherboard will work equally well. Use search on this site to find out more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back