5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello! :wave:

I would like to build my first hackintosh, which should be fast, stable
and works well with linux (arch linux). It should be good for virtualization (virtualbox, vmware), compiling software, basic stuff and some gaming (especially GTA IV and Call of Duty Black Ops).

I looked around and thought of that build :

Motherboard : GA-H55M-UD2H
Graphic : XFX Geforce 9600 GT 512 MB (already got it)
PSU : be quiet! PurePower 530W
Processor : Intel Core i5 750 (or 760?)
Sound : Creative SoundBlaster Live! (drivers from kxproject)
Memory : Corsair XMS3 4 GB kit (2x2GB) DDR3

Will it work with Snow Leopard and Linux?
What could I choose as alternative GPU, if I need more power?

Feel free to joke about my bad english :D .
I am from Germany.

assoricks

PS : Big "Thank you!" to tonymacx86, macman, lnx2mac and all the other experts for the professional informations!

assoricks said:
Hello! :wave:

I would like to build my first hackintosh, which should be fast, stable
and works well with linux (arch linux). It should be good for virtualization (virtualbox, vmware), compiling software, basic stuff and some gaming (especially GTA IV and Call of Duty Black Ops).

I looked around and thought of that build :

Motherboard : GA-H55M-UD2H
Graphic : XFX Geforce 9600 GT 512 MB (already got it)
PSU : be quiet! PurePower 530W
Processor : Intel Core i5 750 (or 760?)
Sound : Creative SoundBlaster Live! (drivers from kxproject)
Memory : Corsair XMS3 4 GB kit (2x2GB) DDR3

Will it work with Snow Leopard and Linux?
What could I choose as alternative GPU, if I need more power?

Feel free to joke about my bad english :D .
I am from Germany.

assoricks

PS : Big "Thank you!" to tonymacx86, macman, lnx2mac and all the other experts for the professional informations!
looks fine. If ou want an alternate card instead of a 9600, you could tr the GT240. 1 gig model, bout the equal to a 9800gt.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130537&cm_re=EVGA_Gt_240-_-14-130-537-_-Product

Thanks, but I've still got some questions :

Does the XFX 9600 GT run out of the box, or do I need to use nvenabler kext?
Does it run in 64-bit mode?
Can I boot iBoot from an usb-dvd-drive? (LG)

:) assoricks

assoricks said:
Thanks, but I've still got some questions :

Does the XFX 9600 GT run out of the box, or do I need to use nvenabler kext?
Does it run in 64-bit mode?
Can I boot iBoot from an usb-dvd-drive? (LG)

:) assoricks
Uhh im not sure on the 9600. Look up some reviews or look at Tony's Wiki. Theres a list of compatibility for many of the OS's. I looked in the wiki, seems like the 9600 will work in 10.6.5, not 10.6.3. Im not completely sure though.
Heres the link to the list of different OS and all of the compatible parts. http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page Go to the URL and go down to hardware. It has a huge list of compatible components and their ease of installation.
Iboot you should be able to boot from a usb as long as you have the neccesary tools to write an iso to a usb and make it bootable. If you want to here are the instructions (For windows to write the iso bootable to a usb): TO SAVE TIME MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PROGRAM CAPABLE OF MOUNTING IMAGE FILES TO A VIRTUAL DRIVE. I reccomend Daemon tools, quick easy and free.
1. Open Command Prompt
2. Type in "Diskpart" without quotes
3. Make sure your usb is plugged in, type in "list disk" without quotes
4. Find your usb in the list disk part, for example if you can tell by the size of the drive in the list disk. (i.e if i want to know which disk is my flash drive in list disk and its a 16 gig flash drive, list disk will show 16 gigs in mb. 16000 mb)
5. Type in "Select Disk 1"(Or whatever your flash drive has as the designated disk number with the listdisk command) Without quotes
6.When you select the disk with the above command type in "clean" without quotes
7.Type in "Create Partition Primary" Without quotes
8. Type in "Select Partition 1" Without quotes
9. Type in "Active" without quotes
10.Type in "Format fs=fat32" Without quotes. This will take a bit and you will lose all data on the flash drive.
11. Once its completed the format type in "Assign" Without quotes
12. Type in "Exit" without quotes. This will close the diskpart command making sure that you still have the previous command prompt window open, if you dont just open up command prompt again.

Ok almost done.
13. Next open up Daemon tools or whatever ISO mounting program you are using.
14. Create a virtual Drive and mount the iboot iso to it.
15. In the command prompt type in "xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\" Without quotes REPLACE THE LETTER D WITH YOUR VIRTUAL DRIVE LETTER, AND REPLACE THE LETTER E WITH YOUR FLASH DRIVES ASSIGNED LETTER. ONLY REPLACE THE LETTERS, LEAVE THE :\ WHERE THEY ARE!

16. Let it write to the drive, with an iso like iboot it should only take a second or two.

17. Safely eject your flash drive

18. Plug your flash drive in the soon to be hackintoshed computer, Boot up the computer to be the hackintosh, and follow the iboot instructions EXCEPT instead of your boot sequence being the CD first, in BIOS make the first boot to be the Usb Flash Drive. Iboot SHOULD boot from the flash drive as if it was a dvd and then you can proceed to install with your Retail Snow Leopard DVD. If you are asking me if you can burn the Snow Leopard install to a usb instead, the answers no.

Hope i helped

Thank you! :clap:
I will install chameleon, os x installer, windows 7 installer and arch linux installer on one usb-stick after I figured out how to install os x.

Happy new year, or how we would say in germany "Guten Rutsch!".

assoricks :wave:

Wow i so wanna learn german, for one reason.... BEst language to learn when you wanna be angry.... Happy new year to you aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back