Contribute
Register

My experience on AMD vs NVIDIA vs Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a gtx 1070 and do feel that my card is not giving my money's worth in hackintosh. I m thinking of picking up a rx 560 and was wondering if I could use both 1070 and 560 in my system and use amd for mac and nvidia for windows?
Hi umran23,
Did you ever try this? I got fed up with my GTX1070 running under par and bought (at a relatively reasonable price) an RX580 Pulse. Whilst it is less powerful it feels loads faster and smoother BUT I no longer have acceleration via CUDA for one or 2 video plugins I have. I haven't been able to sell the GTX1070 yet so I'm thinking about trying to put it alongside the AMD to see what happens (no idea if my PSU has enough outputs/spare cables yet).

I can confirm this works with a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB graphics card in High Sierra 10.13.1. Added the RadeonDeInit to the config.plist file.
Code:
<key>Graphics</key>
    <dict>
        <key>RadeonDeInit</key>
        <true/>
Stork, thanks for confirming this. I wanted to clarify something before I purchase the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB - is it still working OoB and compatible with the setup here (kgp's imac pro build):https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

From my understanding once I have this card on High Sierra, I will not need lilu and whatevergreen kext's. Will sleep and wake work just fine, as well as multiple monitor support at full 60 hz (at least 3), and without any kernel_task cpu hogging issues with having multiple 4k monitors?

Stork, thanks for confirming this. I wanted to clarify something before I purchase the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB - is it still working OoB and compatible with the setup here (kgp's imac pro build):https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

From my understanding once I have this card on High Sierra, I will not need lilu and whatevergreen kext's. Will sleep and wake work just fine, as well as multiple monitor support at full 60 hz (at least 3), and without any kernel_task cpu hogging issues with having multiple 4k monitors?
Starting with 10.13.4, you'll no longer need the RadeonDeInit config.plist mod. The RX 580 graphic cards with the AMD 580 Reference Design port layout, like the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse 8GB card, work OOB w/o the graphics kexts. Now, you may need Luli kext and another kext for some other reason, but I don't use them on MyHero II build.

I have one 4K monitor which my Sapphire 580 fully supports. I have no clue if it will support multiple 4K monitors. Check on AMD's or Sapphire's website.

Finally, since I don't have a X299 motherboard, I have no idea what it takes to make it successful. You'll need to read and search kpg's thread.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Hi umran23,
Did you ever try this? I got fed up with my GTX1070 running under par and bought (at a relatively reasonable price) an RX580 Pulse. Whilst it is less powerful it feels loads faster and smoother BUT I no longer have acceleration via CUDA for one or 2 video plugins I have. I haven't been able to sell the GTX1070 yet so I'm thinking about trying to put it alongside the AMD to see what happens (no idea if my PSU has enough outputs/spare cables yet).
Hello also interested in this one. Was running with GTX1080 but moved to RTX2080 so was planning in adding a RX580 and have 2 GPUs in one machine.
Did FCPX improve as well with your RX580 compared to the GTX1070 performance?
Thks.

Hi
Hello also interested in this one. Was running with GTX1080 but moved to RTX2080 so was planning in adding a RX580 and have 2 GPUs in one machine.
Did FCPX improve as well with your RX580 compared to the GTX1070 performance?
Thks.
I have been very happy with FCPX since changing to AMD. I never tried the dual Nvidia/AMD thing - there wasn't really room in the case, and I didn't fancy having tp battle with the inevitable configuration problems, so I just sold the GTX1070. The plugins I was worried about (mainly Neat noise reduction) turned out to have OpenCL support which just needed enabling, so although it doesn't run quite as fast as with the GTX due to the lower GPU spec, I'm very happy with the setup. Need to keep resisting the temptation to sell again and get a Vega 56 now that prices are dropping a bit...;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back