Contribute
Register

My Cube 2.1: Core i7 and ATI 6670 inside a Cube G4 case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful build Sleppek, I have done the same with that build and GT640, but will be using a 3570k with a built in 300 watt PSU with twin 92mm blower fans, my aim is to be able to make my build totally practical, and be able to run at full speed at all times, I see you have the thermals running just at a safe limit and would like to know how you can sustain those temps for a long period, a screen shot of the time would be good. keep up the good work. Cheers Rossi.

sleppek - thank you for the explanation on the corner rail.

I went back into my records of past cube builds and found the lowest power consuming CPU was the i3-2125 at 65 watts and I am happy with it. All of the others had CPUs that generated more throw-away heat and I had trouble getting that heat out the full cube enclosure.

I think that you made an excellent choice using the i7-3770T CPU at 45 watts.

Again thank you for detail and quality posting.

neil

Wow, that's really amazing sleppek!

It's pretty close to what I had in mind for my Cube mod, and where I wasn't sure about it being feasible, that concern has now been put to rest. Not that I think it's going to be easy, but at least it seems to be possible!

Where do I place my orders??

I read about both your G4 Cube mods this week, and now I'm completely motivated to try myself! :p

The thing that boggles my mind the most about this is how is it possible for the CPU, GPU, a Blu Ray drive and an SSD to be powered by just a Pico PSU without everything exploding. Let alone a GT 640 which supposedly needs a 300W PSU minimum. Theoretically, your build should be powering off constantly. Is everything running ok? Have you tried playing any games?

... powered by just a Pico PSU without everything exploding. Let alone a GT 640 which supposedly needs a 300W PSU minimum. Theoretically, your build should be powering off constantly. Is everything running ok? Have you tried playing any games?

I selected the components w.r.t. the power consumption. I took the 3770T and not a K-version.

A few examples of the maximum power consumption:
- MSI N640GT-MD2GD3 V3: max. 42W
- Samsung SSD 840 Series 500GB: max. 5.6W
- be quiet! Silent Wings 2 PWM: 2.0W
- be quiet! Shadow Wings SW1 Mid-Speed: 2.0W

My first Cube also works with 2 additional 2.5" HDDs.. :)

I never tried to play games with it but I do picture editing with the Cube which stresses it a lot.

Very good work !! Amazing ...

Best Regards

PippoX0

I discovered an old Cube at the bottom of the pile of electronics to be recycled and thought I might take on a project like this. Thanks for the excellent photos and play-by-play. Do you happen to have a CAD file or image/template for the plexiglass pieces?

I was wondering how much it cost to build it? Also would you ever consider building one for someone?

Looks awesome! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back