PNY GTX 670
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,
So I'm about to start adding parts to the shopping cart and just wanted to see if everything I have looks alright/if I will encounter any problems. I've done my research, but this is still my first build and would really appreciate any input.

I already have a gtx 470 I will be swapping into my hack (if it is compatible) I did just read that 10.8.2 has native support though.
CPU i7 3770@ 3.4Ghz Ivy Bridge
MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z77 DS3H
GPU GeForce GTX 470 (or optional 660 ti)
STORAGE SanDisk Extreme 240 GB
1TB Hard Drive
RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Already have case, fans, and power.

I guess my main concerns/questions are:
Do I need to do anything to my gtx 470 to get it working with 10.8.2? currently running it on windows pc (do I need to clear out the drivers before installing in hackintosh, e.t.c?)
Would I benefit greatly by buying the gtx 660ti? I'm not a gamer, but do use adobe suite daily as well as 3d rendering/animation programs like Autodesk Maya. Was hoping to save some cash and stick with my 470 if at all possible.
Also, I was considering the higher priced Gigabyte UP5-TH, but do not intend on using Thunderbolt and was curious as to what benefits I would see getting that vs the Gigabyte Z77 DS3H (besides more usb ports) I feel the Z77 is adequate for my needs, but willing to pay the premium if it is really worth it?
Lastly, are there any known problems this setup is known to cause?

I thank anyone in advance for input. Again, it would be super appreciated.

Hi all,
So I'm about to start adding parts to the shopping cart and just wanted to see if everything I have looks alright/if I will encounter any problems. I've done my research, but this is still my first build and would really appreciate any input.

I already have a gtx 470 I will be swapping into my hack (if it is compatible) I did just read that 10.8.2 has native support though.
CPU i7 3770@ 3.4Ghz Ivy Bridge
MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z77 DS3H
GPU GeForce GTX 470 (or optional 660 ti)
STORAGE SanDisk Extreme 240 GB
1TB Hard Drive
RAM Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Already have case, fans, and power.

I guess my main concerns/questions are:
Do I need to do anything to my gtx 470 to get it working with 10.8.2? currently running it on windows pc (do I need to clear out the drivers before installing in hackintosh, e.t.c?)
Would I benefit greatly by buying the gtx 660ti? I'm not a gamer, but do use adobe suite daily as well as 3d rendering/animation programs like Autodesk Maya. Was hoping to save some cash and stick with my 470 if at all possible.
Also, I was considering the higher priced Gigabyte UP5-TH, but do not intend on using Thunderbolt and was curious as to what benefits I would see getting that vs the Gigabyte Z77 DS3H (besides more usb ports) I feel the Z77 is adequate for my needs, but willing to pay the premium if it is really worth it?
Lastly, are there any known problems this setup is known to cause?

I thank anyone in advance for input. Again, it would be super appreciated.

Your list looks OK. I would stick with the GT470 for the MAYA. Just load the drivers for the nVidia in MultiBeast and the CUDA drivers from the nVidia site and you will be good to go. The drivers in the Windows PC are all installed to the windows HDD - nothing to do when you move the card to the OS X build. If you don't intend to use the TB ports the UP5 TH is a waste - spend instead on the -UD5H if you need extra ports.

Your list looks OK. I would stick with the GT470 for the MAYA. Just load the drivers for the nVidia in MultiBeast and the CUDA drivers from the nVidia site and you will be good to go. The drivers in the Windows PC are all installed to the windows HDD - nothing to do when you move the card to the OS X build. If you don't intend to use the TB ports the UP5 TH is a waste - spend instead on the -UD5H if you need extra ports.

Thanks for fast reply. Very helpful! I don't think I have any need for additional ports, but are there other performance advantages the UD5H would provide vs the Z77 DS3H? My setup would likely consist of SSD for OS, 1tb for storage and additional 500gb for backup, which I believe the Z77 has enough slots to handle. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also- I have version 10.8.2 I will be using for my install. Will I see problems with this installing? Is it better to just install 10.8 and then update via the app store? Does it not matter? Thanks again!

... but are there other performance advantages the UD5H would provide vs the Z77 DS3H?
Best way to see is go to the Gigabyte site for one board and check the "add to comparison list" box, then go to the other board and click on its "add to comparison list" box, then click on the "Product Comparison" button.

My setup would likely consist of SSD for OS, 1tb for storage and additional 500gb for backup, which I believe the Z77 has enough slots to handle. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope - you got it right.

Also- I have version 10.8.2 I will be using for my install. Will I see problems with this installing? Is it better to just install 10.8 and then update via the app store? Does it not matter? Thanks again!
Doesn't matter - I would go with the 10.8.2 from the start with a new UniBeast USB.

Thanks again!

I ordered the Z77 DS3H MB and I would NOT recommend it. I see no real advantage to this board. Audio is still not working on mine. No Sleep. Not sure why Tonymac is recommending it so much.

I would go with older proven MB with DSDT. GL

ahh wish I would have seen your post a few hours earlier. Ordered the Z77 DS3H a few hours before. Are you running 10.8.2? Also what gpu? If you find any fixes I'd really appreciate any advice. Was hoping this board ran native, as Tony had advised on the most recent customac guidelines :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back