Contribute
Register

My 2013 Build no longer boots up

Motherboard
Gigabyte ZX87-OC Orange/Black
CPU
i7 > Need full model number > See Rules!
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
GA Z870c I7 Hasswell
Corsair Ripjaws 32 Ram
Nvidia 760
Corsair 1050 PowerSupply
Fractal R4 Customac
Yosemite

Hello All,
Well, my system stopped booting, and my UniBeast USB doesn't help me get back in. My system while on the Apple splash white screen appears to want to load but takes too long and actually never does. I wanted to try to re-do my UniBeast USB but I'm afraid it's just going to wipe out my drive altogether. Of coarse, I would back up my files first. But would my original set up on my drive really get wiped out just because I am trying to get my drive to boot up again?

ALSO-Since my system is way outdated. Despite the fact that hackintoshing is now dead because of Apple making their new M1 series chips, I am wondering if I should even bother trying to get as updated a system as I can for the moment. Should I bother spending the money? if so, what chip should I get? motherboard all that stuff to replace what I have now? (Yeah, I can go look at the specs/hardware page here, but I wonder if anyone has anymore wisdom to share that would guide me in the right direction here.)

Also, I have an otherwise well working motherboard with an old Haswell i7. Where might I look to sell it quickly as used items other than like Ebay or Amazon?

THANK YOU!!

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

Looks like you’re in some predicament. Well before you say it can’t be saved, there is a way to boot into your system. If you still have a backup of the EFI you can create a separate USB stick (with a working configuration) and boot from that (boot from USB EFI partition first then select your main drive in the menu). Failing that you could try to either try to update Clover or transition to Opencore.

As it goes there is a very good guide here to get you started on Z87 and transitioning to Opencore. This will allow you to upgrade to more recent versions of macOS with your system. > https://github.com/jerw84/Z87-D3H

As for advice on new hackintosh hardware, Z490 (L1200 socket) Comet Lake is best for macOS compatibility but lots are now starting to upgrade to Alder Lake Z690 because of its performance (using the new L1700 socket and CPUID spoofing). You will need a supported AMD GPU however to run these as from Intel Rocket Lake onwards there is no IGPU supported under macOS. Whilst the new M1 Mac Studio is making inroads, it still cannot beat the flexibility or power & upgradeability of a hackintosh platform.

If you want further details on buying advice check out the guide here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/building-a-customac-hackintosh-the-ultimate-buyers-guide/

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I forgot to also mention, but if you still have your UUID, ROM and board serials from your older Clover EFI you can transfer those to Opencore - just copy and paste into the same fields using a Plist editor.

Motherboard
Gigabyte ZX87-OC Orange/Black
CPU
i7 > Need full model number > See Rules!
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi there,

Looks like you’re in some predicament. Well before you say it can’t be saved, there is a way to boot into your system. If you still have a backup of the EFI you can create a separate USB stick (with a working configuration) and boot from that (boot from USB EFI partition first then select your main drive in the menu). Failing that you could try to either try to update Clover or transition to Opencore.

As it goes there is a very good guide here to get you started on Z87 and transitioning to Opencore. This will allow you to upgrade to more recent versions of macOS with your system. > https://github.com/jerw84/Z87-D3H

As for advice on new hackintosh hardware, Z490 (L1200 socket) Comet Lake is best for macOS compatibility but lots are now starting to upgrade to Alder Lake Z690 because of its performance (using the new L1700 socket and CPUID spoofing). You will need a supported AMD GPU however to run these as from Intel Rocket Lake onwards there is no IGPU supported under macOS. Whilst the new M1 Mac Studio is making inroads, it still cannot beat the flexibility or power & upgradeability of a hackintosh platform.

If you want further details on buying advice check out the guide here > https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/building-a-customac-hackintosh-the-ultimate-buyers-guide/
Wow great reply back! thank you so kindly! Very appreciated. I am just not sure about having an EFI back up. I didn't know to make one specifically on EFI when I did this. All I have is the same bootable from when I originally did this. OK! I will probably get back on here some time hopefully soon !
Thank you again!!

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D
CPU
Ryzen 5900X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Wow great reply back! thank you so kindly! Very appreciated. I am just not sure about having an EFI back up. I didn't know to make one specifically on EFI when I did this. All I have is the same bootable from when I originally did this. OK! I will probably get back on here some time hopefully soon !
Thank you again!!
I see. Well if you want to learn more about what to add into the EFI I suggest you look at the Dortania Opencore guide, it has a ton of info to get you going. Just select the platform most appropriate for you. And don’t forget to use an EFI mounter to access the EFI partition. > https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

You’re most welcome!