Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

My first time post here and I hope you guys enjoy?

After seeing some of the great mods on the G4 cubes I thought I'd do something a little different by discarding the inners in favour of the bare acrylic case. I do have plans to Hackintosh this down the track once Mavericks is released to the public and when there is more support for the Haswell too.

I'm planning on adding a graphics card once it is released, I will have to mod the case some more to fit it in as it will be the GTX Titan Ultra. At the moment I'm happy with the Intel® HD Graphics 4600 as it runs my 84" UHD tv at 3840 x 2160 quite fine :)

I have a fan to add down the track, but I'm trying to work out how to make it look like it is floating mid air. Any suggestions would be great :)

Parts

CPU: i7 4770k
Mobo: GA-Z87N-WIFI
Ram: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866GHz
PSU: Seasonic 660w 80+ Platinum edition
Case: Power Mac G4 Cube

Cheers,

Muff-Diver

Looks funky, where have you tucked away the psu? Also, no on-board storage?

Are there any grounding issues to consider when doing away with the internal frame or does the power supply take care of those issues?

Thanks, the PSU is tucked away under the TV unit.
The SSD is tucked away behind the case stuck on with double sided tape.

I don't think I have any power issues as it turns on and it runs pretty well. Do you think I would need to earth it? are there any advantages in grounding it?

Cheers

Well what can I say?

It is what it is…

A 15 minute project posted along side projects that reflect resourcefulness, engineering skill, creative genius and real craftsmanship.

Maybe the point is that we take ourselves too seriously.

Good modding,
neil

Muff-Diver said:
Thanks, the PSU is tucked away under the TV unit.
The SSD is tucked away behind the case stuck on with double sided tape.

I don't think I have any power issues as it turns on and it runs pretty well. Do you think I would need to earth it? are there any advantages in grounding it?

Cheers

It should ground through the PSU just fine; there are a ton of people on here who use acrylic motherboard trays or have glues or epoxies insulating their standoffs from the metal of their cases.

Muff-Diver said:
I'm planning on adding a graphics card once it is released, I will have to mod the case some more to fit it in as it will be the GTX Titan Ultra.

I hope that you're joking but it is in no way going to fit, the titan is longer than the entire cube is tall.

On a side note it looks like there's lots of room for a mini tower cooler or possibly a 120mm tower cooler in there which would look cool although it might make it difficult or impossible to attach your upper thumb screws. Perhaps you could attach the board to the cube with strong magnets at the top and the thumb screws at the bottom? It would really help to move air through the cube without any need for additional fans.

Yeah I suppose the PSU should offer adequate grounding.

In terms of engineering prowess, perhaps other builds surpass this build, but it's an interesting take on things. Maybe an iteration on this build could be an external base unit to house fans/psu - with the motherboard/gpu on show in the acrylic case.

As for a floating effect fan, how about a delicate thin acrylic standoff of some kind?

Well what can I say?

It is what it is…

A 15 minute project posted along side projects that reflect resourcefulness, engineering skill, creative genius and real craftsmanship.

Unfortunately I do not have the facility, time and tools to pull off builds such as some of those in here. They are amazing and well worth the credit they deserve.

Muff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back