Contribute
Register

Must upgrade to SSD & add RAM for Core i3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a Core i3 (Ivy - running on compatible Intel board with Integrated graphics - no dedicated graphics) with 4GB RAM running Windows8. Planning to install MacOS for development training purpose. I don't have space in my existing HDD and hence planning to add new one for MacOS.

Should I go for an SSD is it okay to go for a new HDD (160GB - quite cheap)?
Should I add more RAM (2GB / 4GB)? Not adding this is a bad thing?
Which MacOS version should I buy?

I know that we never regret upgrades but I want to know whether there will be a serious performance hit with this config.

I have a Core i3 (Ivy - running on compatible Intel board with Integrated graphics - no dedicated graphics) with 4GB RAM running Windows8. Planning to install MacOS for development training purpose. I don't have space in my existing HDD and hence planning to add new one for MacOS.

Should I add more RAM (2GB / 4GB)? Not adding this is a bad thing?
Which MacOS version should I buy?

I know that we never regret upgrades but I want to know whether there will be a serious performance hit with this config.
You can get a standard 2.5" laptop drive WD Caviar 200GB drive from Amazon.com for under $30. A 120GB will run about $25

More RAM is always good, but better to get paired kits. Macbooks come with 4GB and the OS seems to work OK on them, but if you are already used to more RAM, they will seem slow to you. Suggest a 2x8GB kit from the motherboard memory support list.

If you have no Mac and no access to a Mac, get the 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Retail DVD and use iBoot to install it, update it to 10.6.8, download El Capitan install app from the App Store and follow http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/ to install El Capitan.

Is this I3 based PC a custom build or a pre-built model by a Big Box PC maker ? Dell HP etc. ? Does it have 1 DIMM of ram or two ?

If you can get by with just 120GB of space on an SSD then you can find an entry level SSD for around $40 or less.
There are even some 250/256GB SSDs you can find on sale for about $55. They help to speed up boot times and
program loading times considerably.

If you will need to store large video files on the drive then best to go with a larger 500GB /1TB HDD.

Thanks for the replies.

You can get a standard 2.5" laptop drive WD Caviar 200GB drive from Amazon.com for under $30. A 120GB will run about $25
I was thinking of the same. I don't need much of space. I can very well use my external/network drives.

More RAM is always good, but better to get paired kits. Macbooks come with 4GB and the OS seems to work OK on them, but if you are already used to more RAM, they will seem slow to you. Suggest a 2x8GB kit from the motherboard memory support list.
So 16GB of RAM? Its kinda out of my budget. If its highly essential I thought I could add 4GB extra and make it 8GB. Wouldn't that work?

If you have no Mac and no access to a Mac, get the 10.6.3 Snow Leopard Retail DVD and use iBoot to install it, update it to 10.6.8, download El Capitan install app from the App Store and follow http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/ to install El Capitan.
Seems like a lot of work! No shortcuts?! ;) I do have a mac at work. Is there some way I can get a copy from there? Spending 20 bucks isn't a big deal as much as downloading and installing twice!

Is this I3 based PC a custom build or a pre-built model by a Big Box PC maker ? Dell HP etc. ? Does it have 1 DIMM of ram or two ?
I assembled the PC (CPU only) myself couple of years ago. I know for sure that it has 2 DIMM slots. Does the motherboard model have some significance? It was an entry level Intel (actual Intel motherboard - forgot the model) with Integrated Graphics 4000. So i3 should be good enough? Can't really go for processor upgrade.

If you can get by with just 120GB of space on an SSD then you can find an entry level SSD for around $40 or less.
There are even some 250/256GB SSDs you can find on sale for about $55. They help to speed up boot times and
program loading times considerably.
If you will need to store large video files on the drive then best to go with a larger 500GB /1TB HDD.
Storage isn't a criteria. I just want to use the OS. I can store files elsewhere (even cloud). Will there be a really big difference between HDD & SSD?

Storage isn't a criteria. I just want to use the OS. I can store files elsewhere (even cloud). Will there be a really big difference between HDD & SSD?
SSD will give you a much more responsive faster system. If you do not need much room, you can get a cheap 60GB drive at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018K3AV7A/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 that would work, but it is not that much more $$ to get a good one - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AAKZRPW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

SSD will give you a much more responsive faster system. If you do not need much room, you can get a cheap 60GB drive at Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018K3AV7A/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 that would work, but it is not that much more $$ to get a good one - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AAKZRPW/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thanks but I use amazon.in (I'm from India) and the prices seem same for 64GB and 120GB. So the minimum size doesn't matter if I plan to go for SSD. The point is 160GB HDD is $12 INR equivalent where as 120GB SSD comes to $45. Not sure if I should spend for something that I'll be using less often.

What about RAM? 4GB should do for the start? If I find the system really sluggish, I'll add 4GB extra.

Thanks but I use amazon.in (I'm from India) and the prices seem same for 64GB and 120GB. So the minimum size doesn't matter if I plan to go for SSD. The point is 160GB HDD is $12 INR equivalent where as 120GB SSD comes to $45. Not sure if I should spend for something that I'll be using less often.

What about RAM? 4GB should do for the start? If I find the system really sluggish, I'll add 4GB extra.

If you're being cheap, why not just install it without adding any RAM and see for yourself if you think you need more and how much?

If you're being cheap, why not just install it without adding any RAM and see for yourself if you think you need more and how much?

You mean if I want a cheap solution? ;) Yes. I'm planning to start without adding more RAM. Wanted advice on whether it would be a show stopper.

In my opinion, 8GB RAM is the absolute bare minimum I would want on any Mac running El Capitan. Even with 8GB, it doesn't take too much effort to get memory to start paging. Once paging starts, the system will start using your HD or SSD for virtual memory. This is where a fast SSD really helps but even the fastest SSD is no replacement for real RAM.

* Side note:
Every current model of Mac now ships with at least 8GB RAM. Apple, historically, has always been very stingy with base RAM. The fact that they saw fit to make 8GB the minimum on all models should be a hint.

In my opinion, 8GB RAM is the absolute bare minimum I would want on any Mac running El Capitan. Even with 8GB, it doesn't take too much effort to get memory to start paging. Once paging starts, the system will start using your HD or SSD for virtual memory. This is where a fast SSD really helps but even the fastest SSD is no replacement for real RAM.

* Side note:
Every current model of Mac now ships with at least 8GB RAM. Apple, historically, has always been very stingy with base RAM. The fact that they saw fit to make 8GB the minimum on all models should be a hint.

Totally agree on the RAM part. You don't know how much its important till you work in a sluggish PC. In that case, I should get a RAM+SSD combo? Samsung 750 EVO 120GB and Transcend 4GB (in addition to existing transcend 4GB).

Just because I'm installing mac os in a PC, should I expect its performace to be any lesser than in a mac with similar specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back