Contribute
Register

Musicians on the board

Status
Not open for further replies.
OSX uses CoreAudio and CoreMidi which are part of the OS instead of another application layer like the old days of System 7-9, or ASIO etc. on windows.
OSX smokes windows for music production IMO because you can audition any type of media file within the finder, it's a TRUE drag and drop environment... windows on the other hand, doesn't even come CLOSE.

He is my attempt to blur the lines between hardware/software and composition/gigging/recording studio. I use this rig to compose, play live, and record my songs. This setup gives me 24 analog ins and outs.

Gear list:
Sabine Feedback Destroyer
Furman AR15 voltage regulator
Furman PL8
Roland JV880 (vintage synth expansion)
Emu Proteus 2000 (Beat Garden, Composer, Techno Synth, XL-7)
MOTU 8 channel MIDI
Korg Tuner (12string)
Presonus 26x26 Firestudio
Presonus Firestudio Project
Behringer ADA8000
AKG wireless mic
AKG wireless 12 string
Shure wireless inear monitor

Hackintosh – 4 RU case
Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner
500GB 7200RPM Seagate HD
Broadcom “Apple” WIFI card in a PCIe express adapter
SIIG FW400 PCI card

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
PRS CE22 “Black Knight”
Martin 12 String Acoustic w/LR Baggs pickup
Roland Juno-106
Novation SuperNova II 48 voice

QSC active HPR153i 3-way tops
QSC active HPR151i 15’ subs

Ableton Live
U-he Zebra 2
Gforce String Machine

Last edited by a moderator:
i´m using cubase 5 and logic 9 on my hackbuild...

I experience a strange and nerve killing bevaviour in both sequencers... the bigger the project gets the longer the programm needs to respond to my commands..

for example i change the arrow in cubase by shortcut, sometimes it reacts immidiatly sometimes it needs a loooooot of time (in the same project)...

then under win7:

-> same project,
-> same interface (rme multiface I)
-> same everthing just win 7 and cubase reacts without any delay...

does anybody have clue how to solve these issue or have a clue what i can check to resolve it ?

dysanfel said:
He is my attempt to blur the lines between hardware/software and composition/gigging/recording studio. I use this rig to compose, play live, and record
my songs. This gives me 24 analog ins and outs.

Gear list:...
Hackintosh – 4 RU case
Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner
500GB 7200RPM Seagate HD
Broadcom “Apple” WIFI card in a PCIe express adapter
SIIG FW400 PCI card
dysanfel, very nice setup. I know others will be interested in a more detail building account of your Hackintosh in the 4 RU case; e.g., how you selected your rack setup, Hackintosh case and components for your recording studio.

Right now, I'm thinking about how I want to move into a more robust recording setup. So, your post post has put the bug in me to start my project. I've been using my MacBook Pro and GarageBand using a PreSonus Inspire (FW400) as the interface to a Shure SM57 in front of my amps. Here's my guitar gear:
Guitars
  • Gibson LP Standard
    Rickenbacker 360/6 & 360/12
    Fender Strat American Deluxe
    Fender X12 (Strat 12 string)
    Ovation Acoustical 12 String*
    Harmony Jumbo Acoustical 6 string* (bought from Montgomery Ward in 1965, my Freshman year in college)
    * Acoustics are mic'd with the Shure.
Amps
  • Line 6 micoSpider || Spider 120 || Flextone II XL
Pedals
  • Boss Tuners & Compressors (CS-1 & -3)
    Line 6 Long Floorboards for above Spider 120 & Flextone amps

Thanks! The Hack build is straight off the Powerbuild on this site. I bought a 4RU case from Newegg.com. My only hangup was getting the right adapter for the Apple Broadcom WiFi. Multibeast worked like a charm! I am set for at least 4-5 years with this machine.

I think until Apple releases a rack mountable form factor that is under $2K that the Hackintosh is the only way to go for rack mounted music computers.

Is your 4RU Hack quiet? Please provide the case mfgr/model #/Newegg link. R U using the stock cpu cooler? What graphics card are you using? Any other I/F cards beside the Sig?

You got a couple of us Mod's liking what you put together and want more info. :thumbup: TIA.

Stork said:
Is your 4RU Hack quiet? Please provide the case mfgr/model #/Newegg link. R U using the stock cpu cooler? What graphics card are you using? Any other I/F cards beside the Sig?

You got a couple of us Mod's liking what you put together and want more info. :thumbup: TIA.

It is relatively quiet, but I don't do mixing for releases with these large speakers/subs so its not important for it to be super quiet. I have an iMac+Duet+NS10M for serious mixing down for releases. However, any fan noise from that computer vanishes when I turn up the QSC HPRi 3-ways and subs.

The graphics card is the EVGA GT240 from the "powerbuild" here on TonyMac. I got it through Amazon as it was the only place I could still find it. I am using the stock CPU cooler. The lone Siig FW expansion card has 4 FW400 outputs which is plenty enough. All audio interfaces are FW.

The case is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811182566

What you can't see from the pics are the custom jack outputs on the side of the rack. 2 XLR outputs for the speakers, 4 MIDI ins and outs, a FW400 input, and a USB input. This is for quick setup on stage.

The only thing I still want to do is get a SSD drive and an Oberheim Matrix 1000, down the road. :D

dysanfel, good information on your rack mounted Hackintosh setup. Thanks, too, for the information on how you deal with computer noise when recording.

Have you (or anybody following this thread) any experience or know of any quiet computer cases suitable for a recording studio environment? Are there any articles on the subject which you've found compelling?

If your looking to minimize computer case noise you could use fanless graphics cards, use acoustical foam inside the case, and use quiet fans. However, for optimal use you want the actual case in another room. Thats what the big studios do.

Also check out this link: http://www.endpcnoise.com/

dysanfel, thanks for the info. I'll pass it along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back