Contribute
Register

Music studio help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac > Need Full model name & year > See Rules!
CPU
Intel > Need full model # > See Rules!
Graphics
HD 2400
Mac
  1. iMac
Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my old Hackintosh build and was wondering if anyone knew any builds good for high Sierra? This OS is stable for majority of music production plugins i use so that's why i wanna stay with this OS.I was just gonna install high Sierra on my current system which is possible but i was running mountain lion - gigabyte z77m-d3h-mvp mother board, i7 3770k processor, 16gb ddr3 ram, liquid cool memory... Is this sufficient for a high Sierra upgrade or is there another recommendation or can i upgrade some parts from this build please help black Friday sales coming this week.
I'm running most DAWs , protocols, FL studio, Reason 12, Ableton Live etc the plugin processing is the main issue it uses alot of cpu. I could also increase my ram to 32gb and just install the OS as an option.

Thanks

This is the most viewed Golden Build ever. I think it's very hard to find the Z390 Designare new but it may be available used. Should be able to run either High Sierra or Mojave on it.

This is the most viewed Golden Build ever. I think it's very hard to find the Z390 Designare new but it may be available used. Should be able to run either High Sierra or Mojave on it.

I'll check it out cheers!

Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my old Hackintosh build and was wondering if anyone knew any builds good for high Sierra? This OS is stable for majority of music production plugins i use so that's why i wanna stay with this OS.I was just gonna install high Sierra on my current system which is possible but i was running mountain lion - gigabyte z77m-d3h-mvp mother board, i7 3770k processor, 16gb ddr3 ram, liquid cool memory... Is this sufficient for a high Sierra upgrade or is there another recommendation or can i upgrade some parts from this build please help black Friday sales coming this week.
I'm running most DAWs , protocols, FL studio, Reason 12, Ableton Live etc the plugin processing is the main issue it uses alot of cpu. I could also increase my ram to 32gb and just install the OS as an option.

Thanks
Sounds like you will need a CPU upgrade as your 3770K probably is not good enough.

A system based on a 300 series motherboard and an Intel 8th or 9th generation CPU should be able to run High Sierra without problems provided you use a supported graphics card as the integrated CPU graphics will not be supported on High Sierra.

My main system and second system use such hardware with RX 580 graphics cards and run MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / Mojave 10.14.6 / Catalina 10.15.7.

A system based on a 300 series motherboard and an Intel 8th or 9th generation CPU should be able to run High Sierra without problems provided you use a supported graphics card as the integrated CPU graphics will not be supported on High Sierra.
If I'm not mistaken, Coffee Lake is supported since High Sierra. CFL iGPU should be fine.

If I'm not mistaken, Coffee Lake is supported since High Sierra. CFL iGPU should be fine.
If you use a 9th generation Intel CPU you can't use High Sierra if you want to use its integrated GPU. The iGPU in the 9th generation CPUs are supported from Mojave onwards.

In my main system High Sierra does NOT recognize the i7 9700KF, labelling it "unknown" even though the system runs normally. While on my second system High Sierra recognizes the i7 8700 so it may be that High Sierra can support the iGPU in 8th generation Intel CPUs.

Last edited:
Thanks! So the limit for CPU recognition is between Coffee Lake (8) and Coffee Lake Refresh (9). But these use the same iGPU so there may be hope even for a 9th generation build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back