Contribute
Register

Music Studio Build II: Core i7-8700 - Asus Prime Z370-A - Radeon RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @nickerpmg ! Thank you :) I am using UAD PCIe cards since 2014 in my hackintosh builds and it works like a charm. Over the years, I did not have any problems with it at all. The installation and getting things to work is very straightforward - almost plug & play ;) There are no special configurations required - just install the UAD software & insert the PCIe (refer to the quick install manual). I would suggest you to go for the Quad (at least) or Octo PCIe for mixing purposes - otherwise you probably will not have enough processing power provided by the SHARKs because they do not use the HEXA core processing that was introduced by the latest (3rd) Apollo generation.
Cheers, thanks for a detailed answer!

Hey, @KingBfire! Just after making my own build with the i7-8700 and the Gigabyte Z370-D3 board, and I continually get "aae 6101 errors" which are CPU overload errors on ProTools. I am running ProTools 2018.12 on macOS 10.13.6. Any suggestions?

Hi, @custard-cake. I do not know how skilled you are with PT and all related topics, and if you tried to fix this problem by checking out all possible options yet. All I can say is that ProTools - especially the latest version 2018.12 - makes a lot of trouble again regarding those in the PT community well-known and frustrating CPU overload errors, asking to reduce the number of native plugins etc. After updating to 2018.12, I also started to face that kind of issues (but different error code). Since its release, I was in contact with their horrible "customer service" (as they call it) via e-mail and phone. The case reached support level 2 after months (?!) of waiting and pushing, then they just closed the ticket and did not answer any further emails. They had log files, system reports etc. as analysis material but just closed the ticket without any comment. And if you hear an inexperienced support agent telling you "two native plugins on a master bus is too heavy for your computer".... it is just a bad joke. Before the 2018.12 version, I never experienced such issues with my build, so you see it is a PT software issue, as stated in thousands of angry and disappointed PT community posts. Logic X does not have any performance problems. Currently, I am using Logic X or an older PT version on another computer until Avid released the upcoming 2019 version and accidentally "fixed" those things.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply man, yeah it’s just that the overloads seem random I’ve tried dumping all the plugins see if it was a bad install of one of the third party ones I have but no joy, it’s horrible how they just leave the program not working for all the latest updates, if I’m not wrong it’s only 2018.12 that is supposed to be stable on high Sierra. Just thought it might be something I missed in the setup in power manegment or something because the spikes don’t show in activity monitor or on the Protools usage window.

No, it's not your doing, it's the software. Regarding 2019.5, nothing was "fixed" that I can tell. There's no non-HDX/Ultimate useful improvement over 2018.12, but there is that AvidLink (LinkedIn for Avid, I guess...) program that replaced the Application Manager. I've disabled the auto launch of that program.

I just did a wee little upgrade of the setup, fooling around trying to make it more stable. I upgraded my motherboard to the ROG HERO XI and upgraded to Mojave. Protools is now running like a breeze. I haven’t gotten an error while running quite heavy workloads over the last few days.

No, it's not your doing, it's the software. Regarding 2019.5, nothing was "fixed" that I can tell. There's no non-HDX/Ultimate useful improvement over 2018.12, but there is that AvidLink (LinkedIn for Avid, I guess...) program that replaced the Application Manager. I've disabled the auto launch of that program.
Indeed! The long-awaited PT update that was delayed several times is just a bad joke for the Pro user community again. I am still facing the same darn AAE issues, and there is no recognizable benefit by running the "updated" version. I am not sure if updating to Mojave helps, but that would mean another problem for me regarding the missing Nvidia drivers and support..

Indeed! The long-awaited PT update that was delayed several times is just a bad joke for the Pro user community again. I am still facing the same darn AAE issues, and there is no recognizable benefit by running the "updated" version. I am not sure if updating to Mojave helps, but that would mean another problem for me regarding the missing Nvidia drivers and support..

If you have a good workflow and Nvidia is working, I would not upgrade to Mojave. If High Sierra is working for you, stick with it and just do the security updates.

Hi friend ! ( custard-cake ) Just be shure that you are having full video acceleration . This detail can easily fool us with PT . I suggest you to run a 3rd app like VideoProc and see if the gpu acceleration is working for tha card you are currently using . This would releive a ton with the issue youare describing . Another thing os to have your system optimizations done ad the company describes on thier website .

Hope this helps !

I ordered a z370-a 10 days ago but they say they won't get stock before 6 more weeks.
I see a Asus Z370-A mark II, I wonder what are the differences and if I should get this one, cause I won't wait another 6 weeks to start building my new machine.
Any luck with Mark II? My brother is a composer, and we were thinking about going this route to get Thunderbolt connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back