Contribute
Register

Music Studio Build II: Core i7-8700 - Asus Prime Z370-A - Radeon RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone come a Asus prime z390 A and i7 8700 working build?

@KingBfire,
Do you still have your EFI folder for this build? I have the same build but none of the USB ports will work with USB 3.0 devices. I'm having a hard time working through the issues.

Of course I have (see "Other.zip"). The build is still my current one running in the music studio. I am running the latest Kext versions as follows:

1587628457390.png

I recommend you to also check if you have those kexts at two locations (and maybe different versions) that may cause issues:

Location 1: EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
Location 2: /Library/Extensions/

Back in the days, I found my kexts only at "location 2" but "location 1" was completely empty. Now I have the above listed kexts moved to "location 1" (EFI).

Attachments

• Other.zip
    272.4 KB · Views: 116
I see you are using USBInjectAll which isn't recommended. Do you use boot args to limit the number of USB Ports?

I am using AppleALC, dAGPM, FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet, Lilu, USBPorts, WhateverGreen kexts. I don't have any special SSDT's as far as I know. I have tried to work through creating the custom "USBPorts.kext" but that does not seem to work. In fact, none of the "SSxx" ports show up when I use USBInjectAll.kext. I have verified that I don't have any boot args that would prevent them from loading. I'm using an iMac 19,2 spec since I am using iGPU for display.

I have attached my EFI folder for comparison. (SMBios stuff changed).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.7 MB · Views: 120
@custard-cake , @jiffyslot , @jeam25 - A quick side note: I do not face any "CPU overload" errors anymore with the latest Pro Tools version 2020.03 :clap: Let's hope they will let it as is ... stable for the moment.:thumbup:

@custard-cake , @jiffyslot , @jeam25 - A quick side note: I do not face any "CPU overload" errors anymore with the latest Pro Tools version 2020.03 :clap: Let's hope they will let it as is ... stable for the moment.:thumbup:

Nice.

Because I've been conditioned to inherently mistrust these updates, I always keep the last 3 or 4 versions of Pro Tools installers around, just in case. I have one spare of 2018.12 that seems to be really stable. I'm staying at Mojave. All of my media SSDs are HFS+.

My intent in my builds is to win the "Pro Tools 6101-Error War" by using overwhelming CPU brute force, 64GB RAM, SSDs, and a carefully planned layout with a great power supply. My binned 9900KS runs at 4 GHz base, but the turbo is set to peak at 4.8 GHz across all cores. It's much more stable and quiet than the top-spec iMac i9 that I had for a while last year.

I still keep the Avid Video Engine disabled because Avid has not yet fixed the old clunky and buggy Quicktime Media Server process. All monitoring (and i/o) is through the UAD Apollo Console's Virtual Channels. I only use plugins in Pro Tools when I mix. Average System Delay on a 24/44.1 session is ~3 ms –because everyone knows that using Samples for measuring System Delay is cheating ;). I'm still running Clover, the usual kexts and drivers, and a custom SSDT with USB Inject All, all loaded and running from the EFI.

@KingBfire : How are you using the GTX? Are you on High Sierra or earlier? Is it a patch or spoof?

Last edited:
@KingBfire : How are you using the GTX? Are you on High Sierra or earlier? Is it a patch or spoof?

Sorry @jiffyslot , I just have seen that you added the question to your post. Yes, I am still using that ancient GPU on High Sierra 10.13.6. I do not have the Nvidia Web Drivers installed anymore as it seems to work without them in my case. However; i recently bought the Sapphire Radeon RX580 Pulse and I will try to upgrade my system with it the upcoming days. I really hope that the GPU change will be as smooth as possible. :angel:

Sorry @jiffyslot , I just have seen that you added the question to your post. Yes, I am still using that ancient GPU on High Sierra 10.13.6. I do not have the Nvidia Web Drivers installed anymore as it seems to work without them in my case. However; i recently bought the Sapphire Radeon RX580 Pulse and I will try to upgrade my system with it the upcoming days. I really hope that the GPU change will be as smooth as possible. :angel:
LMK how it went. That's a great video card. The Z390 is a hardware duplicate of the Z370 system, only with the Z390 and the i9 9900KS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back