i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello!

I have been happily "lurking" tonymac for the longest time, but on this day I emerge with a problem. I am attempting to use two graphics cards on the same machine (in order to use 4 monitors). I have had this machine up and running mac OSX and windows before, but only with a GTX 480 gpu. A while ago I added on my 9600GT and while windows had no problem with it, I booted into Mac and I got the angry "grey screen of death".

I have tried booting off just my installation USB, but got the same effect. I know both GPU's work with Mac OSX (as I had the 9600GT in a different hackintosh before!). But I need to get them working on the same machine.

I have considered that maybe the different drivers neccessary are causing the problem? What if I was to get two GTX 480's? Would it work then? I would have no real problem getting another GTX 480 as I could SLI them in windows for my games... Any suggestions or suggestions to cheaply get 4 monitors running would be great!

My specs:
Intel i7 920 @ 4GHz
evga x58 SLI motherboard
6 GB Mushkin (optimal)
1010W PSU

This is EXACTLY what I want to do, just with 2 GTX580 cards. I'm even willing to buy a new Gigabyte MOBO if necessary (I have an SLI capable ASUS P67 mobo and a i7 2600k CPU). Could anyone give us a clue how to do this? Or if it's even possible?

Its absolutely possible! I did it on my last hack build. You have to generate a custom EFI string. I originally had one 9800 GTX+, and added a second one about four months ago. Here are the links I used to help me do it.

Grant Pannell — Snow Leopard Hackintosh (GA-EP45-EXTREME), Multiple Video Cards & More!
Dual Graphic Cards / EFI String / Displays on first card are not detected!
MULTIPLE NVIDIA card installation HOW-TO. EFI STRINGS

I'm not sure what will happen if they are SLI'd though. I've been wondering the same thing, as I'm looking to build a new Gaming Win 7/OSX Lion dual boot machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back