Contribute
Register

[Solved] Multiple EFI but not seeing the active one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z270P-D3
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
GeForce Titan 1050i Pascal
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello! I've managed to get my new computer up and running now over the weekend. I had various false starts but finally now with downgraded Nvidia-drivers got most things up and running. This afternoon I wanted to take care of setting up the sound.

So I mounted the EFI (disk0s1) in Clover Configurator and didn't see any changes. Weird. So I do the same settings on disk2s1. No changes. Then I do some searches and I see someone saying that through Efi Mounter v3 you can see which is the active EFI before you mount it. Perfect, let's try that.

And the result is that the app says I'm using disk1s1 but then only shows me disk0s1 and disk2s1!

I'm guessing my various attempts during the weekend have created a bit of chaos and several EFIs.
Anyone got any idea how I can proceed from here?

Thank you!

View media item 190163

To make my setup more clear here is another screenshot of running the "diskutil list" command.

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *275.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 274.9 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
0: APFS Container Scheme - +274.9 GB disk1

Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume SDD 108.3 GB disk1s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 57.7 MB disk1s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 1.0 GB disk1s3
4: APFS Volume VM 1.1 GB disk1s4

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *3.0 TB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS HDD 3.0 TB disk2s2

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-03-06 13.06.57.png
    Screenshot 2018-03-06 13.06.57.png
    54.4 KB · Views: 85
No answers but I keep posting. :)

The computer keeps working perfect but another, probably related, issue I found. I got a notification about an available update "macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Supplemental Update". I install this update, it says it installs and all fine, computer reboots, login and all well. Then now, one day later, the same update shows as available again! So I've now installed the same update 3 times but it seems like it is not properly installed. Maybe this has to do with EFI as well?

APFS can be confusing. The correct EFI is the disk0s1. APFS keeps the EFI folder in a GUID partition for compatibility issues and then creates its normal working disk on another partition, the synthesized disk1 listed above.

APFS can be confusing. The correct EFI is the disk0s1. APFS keeps the EFI folder in a GUID partition for compatibility issues and then creates its normal working disk on another partition, the synthesized disk1 listed above.

Sure is confusing! OK, I will give it another go and see if I can make it work. Otherwise my plan is to make back-up of system, disconnect the HDD, format the SDD making sure to delete the EFI as well, start over with UniBeast and install High Sierra, get video and sound installed and THEN restore the back-up and connect the HDD again.

Also, please put your build details in your signature so we don't have to guess and per forum rules.

Ah, doesn't it show or have I missed putting in some information? Please let me know and I update. :)

Sure is confusing! OK, I will give it another go and see if I can make it work. Otherwise my plan is to make back-up of system, disconnect the HDD, format the SDD making sure to delete the EFI as well, start over with UniBeast and install High Sierra, get video and sound installed and THEN restore the back-up and connect the HDD again.

Be careful with restoring that backup because it will probably undo whatever you did to get audio and video to work...
What I do here is experiment with a blank spare HDD/SSD to get audio working. Then I use what I learned with that experiment to update the good working HDD/SSD.

Ah, doesn't it show or have I missed putting in some information? Please let me know and I update. :)

No it does not show in your profile. Your signature is different from your profile. Look to the left of this screen and notice the info under my name and avatar and then compare that to yours.

Now back to the problem of which EFI folder you need. Did you mount the one I suggested?

Thanks for checking in on me! Off for a week of work so no access to my Hackintosh for some days. But, yes, I mounted the disk0 but had no luck of actually saving any changes to it. So when I have time I'll do what I wrote above and then as you say and get everything working and then see if I manage to restore and then get video and audio working if the restore resets my fixes. I'll keep you posted! :)

AND, now I think I managed to update my profile info!

Back home and got time to check up on my system. You where right all along, it was the correct EFI. Finally I did a clean install (without migrating data) and got the NVRAM working (not supported natively on my motherboard). This means that the last selected boot option on Clover is remembered and some other stuff now just works.

For audio it works over bluetooth but not from the motherboard. I'll give it another go soon.

I've got one weird thing happening now:

The update that I try to install from the App Store is not remembered. I install it, it makes the update, it reboots and then I check again and it is NOT showed as installed the last 30 days. Some hours (or a day) later it shows up again as an available update.

Any thoughts? :)

EDIT: Trying to deactivate SIP, let's see how it goes.
EDIT 2: Fixed! Since I now have NVRAM-emulation working disabling SIP made it possible to install the update, have the computer reboot to "Install upgrade"-boot option, install and the reboot back to the normal MacOS-boot option. NVIDIA driver was then disabled for being incompatible but I just uninstalled the .106-driver and then re-installed with the Benjamin Dobel script, restarted and all works fine! So now just the audio missing. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back