Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5H TH
CPU
I7-6600k
Graphics
MSI 970
I am currently working on a new hackintosh machine and currently the only issue I have right now is finding a graphic card that will be able to handle up to 6x 27" 2560x1440 screens.

I am guessing I would need two different cards for the 6 screen setup, but for a 3 or 4 screen setup.
Are there any good graphic cards that will run this?

I am not really looking for a top notch gaming card, but a decent card that could play some games via bootcamp, like BF4, cause that's basically the only game I might start to play.

Thanks in advance.

Would a min-dp to dual DVI cable work when using 2560x1440 resolution?

Would a min-dp to dual DVI cable work when using 2560x1440 resolution?

Try it and let us know. Personally, I try to avoid adapters in the graphics cable. I have bought a new display before just to avoid needing one when testing DP and HDMI.

I've recently bought two qnix 2710 with dual dvi, hdmi and displayport.
I intended to connect both of these with a mini-dp to dp cable. No success at all.

I've also tried the following

Adapter, dual dvi - hdmi
Adapter, dual dvi - min dp
Hdmi cable
Dual dvi cable

The hdmi cable gave me 2560x1440 on the MacBook Pro retina 13" Kate 2013
The dual dvi gave me 2560x1440 on a Linux machine with dual dvi connection
Both adapters could only give me 1920x1200 for my Mac mini mid 2011 (with discrete graphic)
The mini-dp to dp cable gave no success at all! no matter if I used it with my MBPr or Mac mini.

But if not with adapters, is using a cable with different connections a better alternative?

I've recently bought two qnix 2710 with dual dvi, hdmi and displayport.
I intended to connect both of these with a mini-dp to dp cable. No success at all.
But if not with adapters, is using a cable with different connections a better alternative?

Nice displays. You get the tempered glass, the Matte or the standard model?

About the cables, not sure what to tell you. I do know that some adapters are "passive" and some are "active". Sometimes one works and the other doesn't. From what I've read, it's usually a shotgun approach to finding which. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.

Nice displays. You get the tempered glass, the Matte or the standard model?

About the cables, not sure what to tell you. I do know that some adapters are "passive" and some are "active". Sometimes one works and the other doesn't. From what I've read, it's usually a shotgun approach to finding which. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.

Indeed they are, and I got the matte ones since I have the quote amount of light around me and didn't wanna to get much reflections.
And yeah, the part about passive and active adapters I am aware of, but I thought when buying genuine cables they would work, sadly that wasn't the case though : <
I am thinking about ordering some Accell UltraAV cables, since they are certified by displayport.org.. but they cost $20 each, plus taxes and shipment to Sweden, that's close to $80 for two pair of cables. But actually using the 2560x1440 resolution would be worth it though...

for 6 displays get an R9 280x (Sapphire Toxic). If you plan on gaming on Windows, you need 2 of them (at least, we're talking about a lot of pixels there). For standard usage, one R9 280x with 6 displays should be OK although I'm not sure if the Korean ones will work with adapters (you will need DP to 4 DP converter) or if they will work in this configuration on OSX.

for 6 displays get an R9 280x (Sapphire Toxic). If you plan on gaming on Windows, you need 2 of them (at least, we're talking about a lot of pixels there). For standard usage, one R9 280x with 6 displays should be OK although I'm not sure if the Korean ones will work with adapters (you will need DP to 4 DP converter).

Awesome, thanks a bunch.
I will only game on, at tops, three screens.

Question is. How do I connect 6 screens to it when it only have 5 outputs?
Do I need a splitter?

Awesome, thanks a bunch.
I will only game on, at tops, three screens.

Question is. How do I connect 6 screens to it when it only have 5 outputs?
Do I need a splitter?

Yes, you need a splitter (check this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-MST-DisplayPort-Eyefinity-Club3D,21947.html but again, I do not know what kind of support you will have under OSX).

Or, you could just go with an ASUS MATRIX-R9280X-P-3GD5 (that has 2 DVIs and 4 DPs). Just a note, is a 3 slots card, so make sure you have enough space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back