Contribute
Register

Multibooting El Capitain with Ubuntu 16.04 - Totally confused on what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z490 Vision G
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
So I've got an Acer Aspire v3-571g laptop (Bios v1.13) with Insyde H20 EFI BIOS 3.7. From what I've noticed is this laptop provides only basic EFI support.

The laptop cannot directly boot GPT/EFI devices. However if I press F12, then I see two entries - one listed as normal and other as EFI USB HDD etc. and if I select EFI USB HDD then I can boot the OS in EFI mode.

So I installed El Capitan using this way and all was great. I installed clover to the EFI partition. Now I partitioned the drive to create space for Ubuntu and the partition scheme looks as follows - EFI | Apple HFS+ (El capitan) | Apple HFS+ (Recover) | EXT4 (Ubuntu)

I installed ubuntu in EFI mode and **ensured** that the device for the bootloader installation was the ubuntu partition itself and not the whole device (i.e. it was /dev/sda4 and not /dev/sda)

Now whenever I boot, I can only see Ubuntu and there's no option to get into clover.

From what I suspect, Ubuntu has somehow written itself as the default bootloader and unfortunately my bios only allows choosing between devices for booting and not the partitions or the fancy configurations. (I can only choose between the internal HDD/CD Drive/USB)

The following are in directory of my EFI partitions - Apple | Boot | Clover | ubuntu

I even tried rEFInd and I can boot perfectly fine from it if I use the USB. But if I install it to the EFI partition, ubuntu still hijacks the process and I do not see any rEFInd screen but rather boot straight to ubuntu login screen.

What can I do to fix this?

I am installing both OS on the same SSD with a GPT partition scheme.

So I've got an Acer Aspire v3-571g laptop (Bios v1.13) with Insyde H20 EFI BIOS 3.7. From what I've noticed is this laptop provides only basic EFI support.

The laptop cannot directly boot GPT/EFI devices. However if I press F12, then I see two entries - one listed as normal and other as EFI USB HDD etc. and if I select EFI USB HDD then I can boot the OS in EFI mode.

So I installed El Capitan using this way and all was great. I installed clover to the EFI partition. Now I partitioned the drive to create space for Ubuntu and the partition scheme looks as follows - EFI | Apple HFS+ (El capitan) | Apple HFS+ (Recover) | EXT4 (Ubuntu)

I installed ubuntu in EFI mode and **ensured** that the device for the bootloader installation was the ubuntu partition itself and not the whole device (i.e. it was /dev/sda4 and not /dev/sda)

Now whenever I boot, I can only see Ubuntu and there's no option to get into clover.

From what I suspect, Ubuntu has somehow written itself as the default bootloader and unfortunately my bios only allows choosing between devices for booting and not the partitions or the fancy configurations. (I can only choose between the internal HDD/CD Drive/USB)

The following are in directory of my EFI partitions - Apple | Boot | Clover | ubuntu

I even tried rEFInd and I can boot perfectly fine from it if I use the USB. But if I install it to the EFI partition, ubuntu still hijacks the process and I do not see any rEFInd screen but rather boot straight to ubuntu login screen.

What can I do to fix this?

I am installing both OS on the same SSD with a GPT partition scheme.

You need to add a UEFI entry to BIOS for Clover and set it as default.

You can do it with efibootmgr in Linux.

It is covered in post #2 of the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

You da man!

Unfortunately in my case, efibootmgr did not work. The boot order would be overwritten on every reboot.

Digging around, there's another tool bcfg available in a UEFI shell as documented in the Arch Linux wiki - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_Shell

Maybe you want to add that below the efibootmgr post for other folks.

Even worse for me, bcfg also did not work and the only way out was to use a modded BIOS with better EFI capability.

You da man!

Unfortunately in my case, efibootmgr did not work. The boot order would be overwritten on every reboot.

Digging around, there's another tool bcfg available in a UEFI shell as documented in the Arch Linux wiki - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#UEFI_Shell

Maybe you want to add that below the efibootmgr post for other folks.

Even worse for me, bcfg also did not work and the only way out was to use a modded BIOS with better EFI capability.

Nothing wrong with efibootmgr. Problem is your UEFI implementation in BIOS.

--

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

Mobo: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
Mobo: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Note: When specifying your bootloader, if using Clover legacy, please be sure to specify "Clover legacy"). Specifying "Clover" will be assumed as "Clover UEFI"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back