Contribute
Register

multiboot hp 4540 x 2, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MacBook Pro > Need model, size and model number > See Rules!
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU model number > See Rules!
Graphics
> Need model name or version number > See Rules!
Hey all, so I'm attemting to make 2 hp 4540s laptops with mutiboot installations.

The first is an i3 for my girl friend. I would like ML and ubuntu 13 to dual boot on 500gb hdd. But everytime I install ububtu it doesnt show up in chameleon. I also installed the os while the hdd was in my i5 probook, as it came shipped, and mac worked fine but no ubunbtu. I moved that hdd to the i3 thinking mac should work instantly but it doesn't. After I reinstalled, It boots and then flashes white and then stays black. Even with GraphicsEnabler=No flag it still goes dark but boots because I can type my password then use power and enter to shutdown.
Fresh install gave same results. Screen is for this.

As for my i5, I first tried to install on solid state but mac would automatically boot in safe mode regardless of flags or not so I tried using 320 hdd that came with i3. Installed windows 8 then ML and both booted fine from chameleon. Then ububtu messed it up. Installed it the same and then it erased bootloader. Booted to mac with usb and resinstalled kexts and bootloader but nothing shows up but missing os messages and now can't boot into mac even with usb. Needs another fresh install.

I followed rehabmans guide to install ML on probook very closely as well as his multiboot blog, and I think I skipped on using gptsync after the ububtu install. I checked to see if the hdd hybrid scheme was intact with the command but don't think I hit y. Not sure if its vital to installing because he doesn't clarify how to identify if the hybrid gpt is intact or what it is I'm looking for or changing when I hit y.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 20140120_232357.jpg
    20140120_232357.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 211
Hey all, so I'm attemting to make 2 hp 4540s laptops with mutiboot installations.

The first is an i3 for my girl friend. I would like ML and ubuntu 13 to dual boot on 500gb hdd. But everytime I install ububtu it doesnt show up in chameleon.

When you install Ubuntu, make sure:
- you install legacy (not UEFI)
- you install grub to the partition, not the disk

I also installed the os while the hdd was in my i5 probook, as it came shipped, and mac worked fine but no ubunbtu. I moved that hdd to the i3 thinking mac should work instantly but it doesn't.

The CPUs need different SSDTs. So you can't just move one install to the other and expect it to work.

I followed rehabmans guide to install ML on probook very closely as well as his multiboot blog, and I think I skipped on using gptsync after the ububtu install. I checked to see if the hdd hybrid scheme was intact with the command but don't think I hit y. Not sure if its vital to installing because he doesn't clarify how to identify if the hybrid gpt is intact or what it is I'm looking for or changing when I hit y.

Everytime you touch your HDD with gparted, it will break the hybrid. To fix it, you must use gptsync.

Thanks for the input RM! Well my bios is setup to be Legacy in both the places you mention (not uefi w/ or w/o csm or watevs). Not sure if there is a specific way to boot Ubuntu with legacy... using 2.0 usb on right with Ubuntu 13 on it, so I think that makes it legacy by default but not sure.

Yes, learned from my first attempt to install grub2 to partition instead of whole drive in step labeled IMPORTANT; in my case sd3 or 6 depending on the laptop. But then I reboot and with the MAC/Linux i3 dual boot it doesn't show up in chameleon. For the i5, missing os shows up after Ubuntu install but I think it's due to windows tripping out by breaking the hybrid like you mention. I also use the default disk utility when installing Ubuntu not gparted after the first couple of times cause I figure they were the same steps just different program. Wrong?

For the i3 I'm not making a hybrid since its just mac/Linux but Linux doesn't show up. In my first post the sceenshot shows the last thing before it flashes white then goes black. That's after clean install of mac then hp installer then attempting to boot into mac second time w/o usb. Even with usb and GE=No -x flag it still does this. I will try again today with clean install. This only happening now on the i3. When on i5 it was fine.

Yeah I figured it would be too easy to just swap the hard drives.
How will I know if I fix the hybrid with gptsync? I see a couple names of the partitions but the rest is just numbers and other terminology. Thank you so much for your service!=]

Thanks for the input RM! Well my bios is setup to be Legacy in both the places you mention (not uefi w/ or w/o csm or watevs). Not sure if there is a specific way to boot Ubuntu with legacy... using 2.0 usb on right with Ubuntu 13 on it, so I think that makes it legacy by us usb but not sure.

Yes, learned from my first attempt to install grub2 to partition instead of whole drive in step labeled IMPORTANT; in my case sd3 or 6 depending on the laptop. But then I reboot and with the MAC/Linux i3 dual boot it doesn't show up in chameleon. For the i5, missing os shows up after Ubuntu install but I think it's due to windows tripping out by breaking the hybrid like you mention.

If you follow the guide, installing Windows will not break the hybrid.

I also use the default disk utility when installing Ubuntu not gparted after the first couple of time cause I figure they were the same steps just different program. Wrong?

No matter how you create your partitions (with Ubuntu installer or gparted), you will still need to repair the hybrid each time with gptsync.

For the i3 I'm not making a hybrid since its just mac/Linux but Linux doesn't show up. In my first post the sceenshot shows the last thing before it flashes white then goes black. That's after clean install of mac then hp installer then attempting to boot into mac second time w/o usb. Even with usb and GE=No -x flag it still does this. I will try again today with clean install. This only happening now on the i3. When on i5 it was fine.

Get OS X working first before attempting any kind of multiboot.

Yeah I figured it would be too easy to just swap the hard drives.
How will I know if I fix the hybrid with gptsync? I see a couple names of the partitions but the rest is just numbers and other terminology. Thank you so much for your service!=]

Just run gptsync to rebuild the hybrid.

Note: I did my guide with 12.04LTS. Never tried any newer versions and according to some of the comments on my blog, it appears that later versions of gptsync are broken.

Gotcha! I'll try all that out. Broken as in buggy or doesn't work for 13?

hah word. Have a feeling this should all be working soon. good challenge for 2nd customac.

So the i5 five is working fine now, just need to use gptsync properlly (very handy), but still same problem with i3. I can install OS X and then boot into it with USB but after I install all the normal kexts and files it won't let me boot. It flashes white for a moment, almost like it's going to show login, then goes black. I then type in the password, hit power button and enter and it shuts down. I also hear HDD feedback when I do that so I'm pretty sure the OS is there but graphics aren't working
PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -x -v all tried in different combos.

The annoying thing is that after use the hp installer and try to boot, it doesn't work and then I try to boot with the USB and it does the same thing... flashes white then black. Even with boot arguments. So I can't even try something else, I've had to do a fresh install every time no matter how I install it.

Used all normal hp installer options and under option hard fixes used AHCI patch, AHCI 3rd party kext, Graphics glitch and EDID. Another time with just EDID and gave same results. Help appreciated!:)

Attachments

• 20140120_232357.jpg
    20140120_232357.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 142
So the i5 five is working fine now, just need to use gptsync properlly (very handy), but still same problem with i3. I can install OS X and then boot into it with USB but after I install all the normal kexts and files it won't let me boot. It flashes white for a moment, almost like it's going to show login, then goes black. I then type in the password, hit power button and enter and it shuts down. I also hear HDD feedback when I do that so I'm pretty sure the OS is there but graphics aren't working
PCIRootUID=0 GraphicsEnabler=No -x -v all tried in different combos.

The annoying thing is that after use the hp installer and try to boot, it doesn't work and then I try to boot with the USB and it does the same thing... flashes white then black. Even with boot arguments. So I can't even try something else, I've had to do a fresh install every time no matter how I install it.

Used all normal hp installer options and under option hard fixes used AHCI patch, AHCI 3rd party kext, Graphics glitch and EDID. Another time with just EDID and gave same results. Help appreciated!:)

What are the full specs for the laptop? And... what exactly did you select in the ProBook Installer?

Here are the specs from the Ebay ad where I bought it new.

Model number 4540S
Product Name HP ProBook 4540S Notebook PC
Product Type Notebook PC
Operating System Provided Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit Edition
Processor Intel Core i3-3110M 2.4 GHz
Number of Cores Dual-Core
64-bit Computing Yes
Cache Memory 3 MB L3
RAM 4 GB
Maximum RAM Supported 8 GB
Memory Technology DDR3 SDRAM
Memory Speed 1333 MHz/PC3-10600
Memory Form Factor SO DIMM 204-pin
Hard Drive Capacity 320 GB
Hard Drive Interface Serial ATA-300
Hard Drive Speed 7200 RPM
Optical Storage DVD+/-RW (+/-R DL), DVD-RAM
Screen Size 15.6 inches
LCD Backlight Technology LED backlight
Resolution 720p
Widescreen Yes
Image Aspect Ratio 16:9
Graphics Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000
Camera Integrated webcam
Sound Stereo speakers, stereo microphone
Codec IDT 92HD87
Input Device Keyboard, touchpad
Wireless Communications 802.11n
Network Interface Gigabit Ethernet
Remote Management Protocol SNMP
Battery Technology 6-cell Lithium-ion
Battery Capacity 47 Wh
Battery Run Time 7 hours
Interfaces 2 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0, Microphone input, Headphone output, HDMI, LAN, VGA
Memory Card Reader Yes
Input Voltage AC 120/230V (50/60 Hz
Output Power 65 Watts, 18.5 V
Color Brushed aluminum
Dimensions 14.8 x 1.1 x 10.1 inches
Weight 5.4 lbs

Changed wifi card to AR5BHB92 atheros
also switched the 320HDD with a 500 that came with i5.
Originally installed osx there to test and worked fine.
From the HP installer I installed:

4x40s support kexts
4x40s Ivy model
QUiet fan
low res
atheros 9285 Patch
Intel USB 3.0
check ssdt
i3/i5 ivy bridge system def
chameleon
optional hardware:
ACHI
AHCI 3rd party kext
graphics glitch
EDID
color profiles
blinkscreen
and then just the hardware monitor.

I now realize I don't think I need the atheros patch but installed on i5 and that works fine... :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back