Contribute
Register

Multibeast: "The installation failed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try running:

sudo kextcache -system-caches
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

and see what pops up as causing an issue. Delete the offending kexts and then try multibeast :)

I'm having installation errors with all kinds of installers.
Multibeast did the same thing you guys were experiencing so I installed an old Lion custombeast and manually installed audio kexts. This worked :)

My biggest problem now is enabling OpenCL and CUDA. OpenCL enabler in Multibeast causes kernel panic and Cuda installer says "installation failed".
The CUDA prefpane is however installed and some framework stuff, but it isn't working. I tried renaming the 295.10.whatever file to some other random name. Didn't work out for me.

Any ideas anyone?

hmmm, doesn't seem to be working for me. let me go over this to make sure i got you straight. i downloaded Kext Wizard. went to the Installation tab, browsed to my cloned Lion drive on which Multibeast works, and selected the ATI6000controller.kext folder in S/L/E, and installed that kext into my current ML drive with the System/Library/Extensions button selected. once done, i went back to the Maintenance tab and ticked the "Repair permissions" and "Rebuild cache" boxes under "System/Library/Extensions". i hit execute. then i opened Multibeast and tried installed FakeSMC.kext and the plugins as well as System Utilities just to see if it could complete installation without failing, but it still fails. did i go about this correctly? should i have rebooted anywhere in there?

Are you doing a fresh install or is it an upgrade? The method I used works for my fresh ML install. Also, try msparsons suggested method to pin point problem kext.

Has anyone in this thread had any luck with the new Unibeast? Or is it most likely that we're going to have to wait until the next iteration of Multibeast to get released?

Has anyone in this thread had any luck with the new Unibeast? Or is it most likely that we're going to have to wait until the next iteration of Multibeast to get released?

I got the same issue. Latest Unibeast is unrelated as I used it in the 2 scenarios below:

1-Fresh install on external HDD, worked flawlessly, Multibeast 4.6.1 ran perfectly with no errors whatsoever a treat and system boots up very quickly.

2-Ran an upgrade following the guide preview posted with Unibeast on my main HD. All went well up to the Multibeast Installation failed error:

8/5/12 11:44:43.139 AM com.apple.kextd[12]: kextcache error while updating / (error count: 27)

Tried running it from the external HDD install mentioned in 1- with the same effect.

EDIT: Thought the below was unrelated but turned out it fixed my issue!

Try running:

sudo kextcache -system-caches
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

and see what pops up as causing an issue. Delete the offending kexts and then try multibeast :)

I'm also having the same issue with some older hardware...

I'm running a i7-860, h55n-usb3, 6870, 16gb ram.

I tried all the tricks mentioned above with no avail. If any of you work it out, please post!

For the OP and any others having this issue with an update to Lion, here is how I got around it....

1. Make sure you have a backup of your original install in case anything goes wrong (this is critical and had to do numerous Time Machine restores before I figured out the solution).
2. Boot off of Unibeast USB. Select the USB stick at the bootloader.
3. When Unibeast starts the ML installer, do not click continue, instead go to the menu at the top and run terminal.
4. Use the cd command to navigate through the drives. I wont go into the detailed commands but navigate back to Volumes and then to your hard drive where you have your original Lion install.
5. Using the rm command (actually rm -rf xxxxx), delete the /Extras folder. Then delete the /System/Library/Extensions folder (note that I could not delete the whole folder at first due to read only issues, so I used the cd command to go to /System/Library/Extensions and then did a "rm -rf *" to delete everything.
6. Now exit terminal and you are back at the ML installer. Click continue to install ML over your old install. Once it completes reboot.
7. Boot back up off of Unibeast, but this time select your hard drive (I always do a -v so I can see what is going on). The system should not boot into ML off of your hard drive.
8. Now run Multibeast. At this point I no longer got the failure "Installation Failed" as mentioned by the OP. Once Multibeast completes you should be able to reboot and your system should be working with ML.

NOTES:
For me, doing the upgrade was important because I have a server and I did not want to lose all my settings.
I am not sure you have to be so drastic as to delete the entire folders like I mention above, but it saved me a lot of time and the update to ML and re-running Multibeast restored everything anyway.

So are you suggesting doing an upgrade from lion > clean install? I usually do a clean install then Migrate from previous version...?
If doing a clean install these steps do not apply if I am understanding your pathing correctly?

For the OP and any others having this issue with an update to Lion, here is how I got around it....

1. Make sure you have a backup of your original install in case anything goes wrong (this is critical and had to do numerous Time Machine restores before I figured out the solution).
2. Boot off of Unibeast USB. Select the USB stick at the bootloader.
3. When Unibeast starts the ML installer, do not click continue, instead go to the menu at the top and run terminal.
4. Use the cd command to navigate through the drives. I wont go into the detailed commands but navigate back to Volumes and then to your hard drive where you have your original Lion install.
5. Using the rm command (actually rm -rf xxxxx), delete the /Extras folder. Then delete the /System/Library/Extensions folder (note that I could not delete the whole folder at first due to read only issues, so I used the cd command to go to /System/Library/Extensions and then did a "rm -rf *" to delete everything.
6. Now exit terminal and you are back at the ML installer. Click continue to install ML over your old install. Once it completes reboot.
7. Boot back up off of Unibeast, but this time select your hard drive (I always do a -v so I can see what is going on). The system should not boot into ML off of your hard drive.
8. Now run Multibeast. At this point I no longer got the failure "Installation Failed" as mentioned by the OP. Once Multibeast completes you should be able to reboot and your system should be working with ML.

NOTES:
For me, doing the upgrade was important because I have a server and I did not want to lose all my settings.
I am not sure you have to be so drastic as to delete the entire folders like I mention above, but it saved me a lot of time and the update to ML and re-running Multibeast restored everything anyway.

So are you suggesting doing an upgrade from lion > clean install? I usually do a clean install then Migrate from previous version...?
If doing a clean install these steps do not apply if I am understanding your pathing correctly?

Correct.

Basically by emptying the Extensions folder you removed any conflicting kexts as suggested by msparsons but in a little more aggressive way. ;) Turned out I had an old kext conflicting already with Lion as I had substantially longer boot times but Multibeast wouldn't throw amy errors back then..

I am not really suggesting that, but the original poster who started this thread mentioned he was doing an upgrade. The best option of course is always a clean install (in my opinion), however, there are times where you may not want to do this and in these cases what I mentioned above seems to work. In my case, I am running a server and did not want to create the users and reload software so I just did an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back