Contribute
Register

MultiBeast High Sierra not writing to EFI Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why I keep getting this, do you know how to fix this problem?
I could't find the solution here.
You can try to drop the MATS ACPI table.
At Clover Boot Screen select Options > ACPI Patching > Tables dropping > Drop MATS

For permanent solution set config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes/FixHeaders_20000000=true

FixHeaders.png

I don't understand how this response is helpful, even if it's accurate.

On previous Mac OS X, unibeast install followed by multibeast was enough to get it running (or in many cases running perfectly).

On high sierra, it does not seem to be - so either unibeast is not copying the necessary kexts over to the EFI drive to get the boot drive to boot, or multibeast is not.

Whatever the case, the new installation regime for high sierra doesn't seem to do that, or at least not consistently.

If the answer is "run unibeast, then multibeast, then copy over the kexts and config.plist to the boot drive", that would be a different matter. It seems to be causing quite different issues compared to e.g. Sierra.

I don't mean to accuse, just saying it is acting quite differently from previous iterations, and the 'advice' isn't always helpful.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/unibeast-8-troubleshooting-notes.235489/
1. UniBeast does NOT install anything on your hard drive, it CREATES a bootable USB stick.

MultiBeast has NEVER installed kexts to the EFI partition.

If you run MultiBeast QuickStart EFI it will do everything necessary to make any EFI based High Sierra boot from the hard drive.

MultiBeast has never and will never support Fusion or RAID drives. Those are the only cases where you need to manually copy anything to get the system to boot.

You can try to drop the MATS ACPI table.
At Clover Boot Screen select Options > ACPI Patching > Tables dropping > Drop MATS

For permanent solution set config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Fixes/FixHeaders_20000000=true

View attachment 295332

Thanks for your post.
I will try it out.

If you run MultiBeast QuickStart EFI it will do everything necessary to make any EFI based High Sierra boot from the hard drive.

Not true in all cases - I certainly did not find this to be true.

MultiBeast has never and will never support Fusion or RAID drives. Those are the only cases where you need to manually copy anything to get the system to boot.

Wrong, there are other cases where it seems to be necessary.

I am having the same problem. After a successful install and running Multibeast, I still can't boot without the USB stick. I've checked my system profile, and that hasn't even been updated by Multibeast. So does Multibeast have no effect ?

I'm also finding Multibeast High Sierra is not working for me.
maybe a less angry mod can help ?
EFI partition is created and looks to have the correct files in it (compared to another High Sierra disk which is booting fine).
So i'm wondering if something went wrong with the bless command ?
any help appreciated.

I'm also finding Multibeast High Sierra is not working for me.
maybe a less angry mod can help ?
EFI partition is created and looks to have the correct files in it (compared to another High Sierra disk which is booting fine).
So i'm wondering if something went wrong with the bless command ?
any help appreciated.

Hi there.

How are you using "bless"? I don't think you need to go anywhere near that for a High Sierra standard install. All that is under-the-hood for MultiBeast.

Which bootloader are you using, or ...

Or are you at the initial install point in which case the UniBeast and MultiBeast pair work well installing and transferring a system using Clover.

Though two people disputed OAM's response, it was true when made in 2017.

Happy to help if you explain more.

:)

Hi UtterDisbelief thanks for responding.

I've been building Hackintoshes using these guides since 10.6.
I'm having no problems with the Install, and multibeast is adding the kexts i need for my system without problems.

The only problem i'm having is my motherboard can't boot from my SSDs EFI partition (it doesn't show in the boot list).
---
normally, i'd think this was a problem with the mobo's BIOS ect, except I have another High sierra SSD that I built last week which boots through EFI without a problem - I can't remember how I got last weeks build to work and have tried to create a 2nd build mant times.
---
I've spent the last day comparing the 2 SSDs to try to find the difference but havent spotted one.
Both SSD are GUID with an EFI partiton in FAT32 with a block size of 512k and 409600 blocks.
the EFI folders inside the EFI partitions are identical.
---
I'm having the exact same issue with my Mojave build.

It seems a shame to have to use a USB stick to boot this machine.

Hi UtterDisbelief thanks for responding.

I've been building Hackintoshes using these guides since 10.6.
I'm having no problems with the Install, and multibeast is adding the kexts i need for my system without problems.

The only problem i'm having is my motherboard can't boot from my SSDs EFI partition (it doesn't show in the boot list).
---
normally, i'd think this was a problem with the mobo's BIOS ect, except I have another High sierra SSD that I built last week which boots through EFI without a problem - I can't remember how I got last weeks build to work and have tried to create a 2nd build mant times.
---
I've spent the last day comparing the 2 SSDs to try to find the difference but havent spotted one.
Both SSD are GUID with an EFI partiton in FAT32 with a block size of 512k and 409600 blocks.
the EFI folders inside the EFI partitions are identical.
---
I'm having the exact same issue with my Mojave build.

It seems a shame to have to use a USB stick to boot this machine.

Okay. If one SSD works and another doesn't on the same motherboard, the motherboard sounds fine.

As you are a long-time builder you will know that certain Samsung "Plus" and "Pro" models needed a firmware update to work in macOS. Are both SSDs the same brand?

You are correct that the technical use of the "bless" command makes boot media recognised, but using Clover on High Sierra, as I said, no need to go near.

There's something we are missing ...

I wasn't aware that there were problems with some ssd's - although i'm certainly suspecting it may the issue.
The Good SSD is a kingston and the others are all ADATA.
so i guess i'm going to have to find another few ssd to test.

Reading up on Samsung Plus, they seem to be an NVM which i'm aware have issues with macOS and windows.

i'm not using the bless command anywhere, i'm using multibeast.

I'd like to know more about how the EFI boot process works, but its very hard to find detailed info :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back