Contribute
Register

Multibeast fails - do I need to disable SIP first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-z97x-UD3H
CPU
i5-4590
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm trying to get audio working (Clover & El Capitan) but whenever I try to install drivers using multibeast (8.0.1) it fails to install. Gives an error message. The log doesn't reveal much - just says it failed. ("installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.)"

Is this because I haven't disabled SIP?

(I have tried to disable SIP using the relevant terminal commands while booted into the recovery drive. I get a 'success' message, but when I reboot and test this in terminal, SIP is still enabled. I'm trying to fight one fire at a time... so it would be useful to know what to tackle first).

Every time I edit my config plist, using either textwrangler or clover configurator, I end up with an unbootable machine. The only way I can reboot is to physically remove the live SSD and boot from a backup drive using a chimera USB. I then load the SSD using an external disk cradle via USB, and restore config.plist (luckily I'm keeping a known working backup every time.) The SSD will then boot happily.

I've done this nine or ten times - and I'm using cut and pasted code from this site that should work. I'm doing it carefully too, trying to avoid the dreaded operator error. Could there be something else going on? Every time this happens it's taking me hours to get back to a working state because of Boot and Bios issues all of which seem to be caused by the edit to the config.plist.

I replaced my edited config plist with one downloaded from this site (can't remember where exactly, but I had in a folder of useful Clover things) and that resolved the boot issues. So clearly, I did screw up the edit of the plist - every single time. So if, like me, you have little idea what you're doing... take care when editing the config plist and have a backup available that you know will work, and a way of accessing the drive if it won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back