1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. eMac
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Having some trouble getting MultiBeast 4.6.1 to run after upgrading to 10.8. Pretty much any option I run will fail. Here's the gist of what I see in install log:

Jul 28 13:41:50 <HostnameRedacted> Installer[4908]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=121 "An error occurred while updating system extension information." UserInfo=0x7fec3e2e7390 {arguments=(
"-update-volume",
"/",
"-Installer"
), NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while updating system extension information., NSUnderlyingError=0x7fec3e2e7dd0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kextcache error 71.)"}
Jul 28 13:41:50 <HostnameRedacted> Installer[4908]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Jul 28 13:41:51 <HostnameRedacted> Installer[4908]: IFDInstallController 3C21CA80 state = 7
Jul 28 13:41:51 <HostnameRedacted> Installer[4908]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Jul 28 13:41:51 <HostnameRedacted> Installer[4908]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

Here's what I've tried:
Repair perms and verified disk
booting in Safe mode
booted UseKernelCache=No
made sure root:admin owns /
Tried a 2nd copy of MultiBeast, 4.4, same error
Double checked the permissions on /S/L/E/, tossed /Sl/L/E/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel, kextcache -system-caches. Something kinda funky I saw there was this when rebuilding pre link:

bash-3.2# kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Kernel file /mach_kernel does not contain requested arch: i386
NVClockX.kext - no compatible dependency found for org.netkas.FakeSMC.
NVClockX.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
Prelink failed for org.usrsse2.NVClockX; aborting prelink.
Failed to generate prelinked kernel.

I was able to run MultiBeast on the 10.8 disk from my pre-upgrade 10.7 backup. So it's working but not ideal. This install runs OSX Server and it did the same pre and post updating Server.app.

Any ideas?

Having some trouble getting MultiBeast 4.6.1 to run after upgrading to 10.8. Pretty much any option I run will fail. Here's the gist of what I see in install log:

Jul 28 13:41:50 <HostnameRedacted> Installer[4908]: install:didFailWithError:Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=121 "An error occurred while updating system extension information." UserInfo=0x7fec3e2e7390 {arguments=(
"-update-volume",
"/",
"-Installer"
&nbsp;), NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while updating system extension information., NSUnderlyingError=0x7fec3e2e7dd0 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (kextcache error 71.)"}
Jul 28 13:41:50 <HostnameRedacted> Installer[4908]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Jul 28 13:41:51 <HostnameRedacted> Installer[4908]: IFDInstallController 3C21CA80 state = 7
Jul 28 13:41:51 <HostnameRedacted> Installer[4908]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Jul 28 13:41:51 <HostnameRedacted> Installer[4908]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

Here's what I've tried:
Repair perms and verified disk
booting in Safe mode
booted UseKernelCache=No
made sure root:admin owns /
Tried a 2nd copy of MultiBeast, 4.4, same error
Double checked the permissions on /S/L/E/, tossed /Sl/L/E/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup and kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel, kextcache -system-caches. Something kinda funky I saw there was this when rebuilding pre link:

bash-3.2# kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Kernel file /mach_kernel does not contain requested arch: i386
NVClockX.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
Prelink failed for org.usrsse2.NVClockX; aborting prelink.
Failed to generate prelinked kernel.

I was able to run MultiBeast on the 10.8 disk from my pre-upgrade 10.7 backup. So it's working but not ideal. This install runs OSX Server and it did the same pre and post updating Server.app.

Any ideas?

Have run into the same problem. Someone else on the forum indicated that this was resolved by deleting the fakesmc plugin kexts, but that didn't work for me. Interestingly, the kexts you select in MB do install, but the cache dosen't get rebuilt. A workaround for now is to run kext wizard after MB.

TonyMac / MacMan, are you already working on this?

When I tried to rebuild it manually it seemed pissed about NVClockX.kext, any idea if that's something I can toss/replace? I run a 8400GS in that.

Even though this may not help you since I didn't upgrade I figured out that if I installed the stuff from Multibeast before installing NVEnabler, the installation would come out being successfull. Then only problem was after you rebooted you were greeted with a blank screen, but if you enter PCIRootUID=1 before booting into ML, you will get into the OS successfully where you can then install NVEnabler and everything works. Hope this helps!

Same here, dont matter what i choose, it fails.

Something wrong with Multibeast

Same here, dont matter what i choose, it fails.

If you do a clean install with the Unibest stick, all is ok except when using any combo in Multibeast it ( multi beast) crashes as it tries to install and says something to the effect of: MB failed!
After that you restart the ML installation and get the dreaded ring crossed out sign. and then you can stand on your head and only a reinstall gets you in the ML desktop again.
And believe me i have done this now about twenty times as i thought i am doing something wrong.........i just wait for an improved MB that lets you do a clean install from USB unibeast stick and then accepts MB.
I must though point out that i am most grateful for all the work of Tonymac and friends and am sure tey will find a way too fix this.

Exact the same here :(.........but Multibeast 5.0 was announced yesterday ;)

Multibeast 5? couldn't find it anywhere. Is it up yet?

EDIT:
Never mind, I saw the report. It's not out yet, but they're working on it.

Yayz, I confirmed that MB 5.0.1 has fixed the issue with the Kernel cache puking. Huzzah to Tony, MacMan and the crew.

I was suffering from the same problem, but now it has resolved.
Before installing MultiBeast, I have installed Kext Wizard and
repaired permissions and rebuilded cache.Then it worked. :thumbup:
If you have already tried, I'm sorry for disturbing you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back