Contribute
Register

multi-track interface for drummer, firewire? usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expanding/detailing aero++'s reply:

One needs:

1. Preamp channel for each Microphone
2. Analog to digital converter channel (ADC) for each Preamp channel
3. Digital to Analog conversion in stereo to hear it back.

This of course is a very vague, minimal requirement for "professional" quality recording.

The PreAmps:
If you are handy as you must be, having built your own computer, I would recommend building a preamp kit. I have only built one channel in mine but I only currently record one channel at a time and do drumming with midi.

I recommend Seventh Circle Audio's Mic pre kit:

http://www.seventhcircleaudio.com/

Unfortunately an assembled 8 channel kit is something like $4500.
If you build yourself, about $4000. This is what one or two channels of a classic Neve cost, and probably only marginally comparable.
There are many options in this price realm but this is the most affordable, touted option I have found.
You could of course get a quality 8 channel mixer and 2 Mic Pres and get really good at setting your levels before they goes into the computer. Three mics is what Glyn Johns used for all his classic drum recordings, but he is a great master. Another learning curve.....

The ADC:
A proper 8 Channel converter on the low end of good, is about $800 - $1000. That would be for a Black Lion modded Digi 002. All the apogee converters with that many channels cost upward of $1300. The real deal converters like Benchmark, cost $1300 for 2 channels.

All this pro stuff is so expensive. And this is not even really what the real pros use. The price/quality curve is such that the real jump in quality is just out of the bedroom producers means. The best way to get that extra leap in quality without the 1000% price jump is with craftsmanship... which is a long road for meatheads like me..... Well, enough defeatist meandering.

I currently use a Seventh Circle A12 mic pre that I built and an Apogee Duet for 2 channel conversion. My recordings are not pro but I am improving and getting a sound of my own.... trying to figure out how to find a new sound in the digital age.

Speaking of which....

I have been a musician for years and snooped on my own and friends' recording sessions. It is amazing how much drum replacement is used in what we hear nowadays; switching recorded drums for samples. In any case, it might be a reasonable option to invest in a really good drum sample library that you like and trigger from your drums or from a Drumkat or electronic drumset. This may sound ridiculous but it is realistically more attainably pro pricewise. It might take some learning and craftsmanship to massage things but you can get great results.

Here is a recent silly little thing I did with Addictive Drums in Ableton Live in my bedroom:

http://snd.sc/hoATOZ

Oh and Firewire is best bet for high quality.

ar13 said:
I use a Motu 828 Firewire interface connected to a Yamaha 01v via Lightpipe and i can record at the same time 12 tracks from the Yamaha [ 8 lightpipe from 828, 4 omni from yamaha to 4 in's in 828 analog ] and 4 more to the 828 analog . 16 tracks at the same time, We record our rehersals all the time ....

Nice! I have a similar setup! I also use a Focusrite OctoPre, the older one with limiter and compressor on each pre. I too am a drummer and record a lot of drum tracks via email. I love my set-up. I have the OctoPre and 828 in a moblie case so I can track anywhere, as long as there is power, lol. My 01v still rockin' after all this time. I also use the 01v as a control surface since it has midi in and out. :headbang:

Keep it simple. Get a 8 input/output Firewire interface with ADAT optical I/O and add an external preamp with an ADAT I/O. Lots of manufactures make 8 I/O FW400 interfaces, look around.

I bought a used Presonus 26x26 for under $400 and added a Behringer ADA8000 for under $200. That is 16 channels of I/O with Word Clock sync for under $700! You may want something better than the Beheringer for drums, I just use it for synth inputs. ART and Focusrite ADAT I/O preamps are probably better choices for high SPL recording like drums.

get used to checking local guitar center and craigslist for used interfaces if your on a budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back