Contribute
Register

multi-track interface for drummer, firewire? usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H55M-USB3 Rev 2.0 Bios F10
CPU
i7-860
Graphics
PNY 9800 GT
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Going to be doing a build soon to record music with. I'm a drummer and use between 8-16 mics on my setup.

I'm interested in some sound boards / mixers and don't know what to get. Since I'd like to do most mixing in the software, its not super important to have tons of control knobs on a mixer, is it? I just want something that will pipe 8-16 tracks into my mac at the same time, and have Garageband record each track separately to play with later.

Don't know if I should make sure to get a motherboard that has firewire? Or do many mixing boards find that usb is sufficient? I suppose I could always get an aftermarket 1394 card if I thought I needed it...

What do you guys think? Comments / thoughts are appreciated!

I'm in the same boat actually. I've been using an old m-audio delta 1010 which has 8 inputs. Just enough for me. I've had to use this driver http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/ as the m-audio one won't work. However there is zero latency and it's working like a dream. Only issue. No midi.
Not sure whether you can chain them either.
Hope that helped.

While I'm just a closet musician using GarageBand for my guitar recordings, I chose the Presonus FireBox for my needs because it had a Firewire interface. Everything I read on musical interfaces for the Macs said that USB can/will cause latency problems. The USB devices are cheaper, but I didn't want to spend time debugging the interface.

I've also read good reviews for Alesis Firewire products.

BTW, here is great site - Bullets and Bones - for musicians starting the computer recording experienced using Macs.

I use a Motu 828 Firewire interface connected to a Yamaha 01v via Lightpipe and i can record at the same time 12 tracks from the Yamaha [ 8 lightpipe from 828, 4 omni from yamaha to 4 in's in 828 analog ] and 4 more to the 828 analog . 16 tracks at the same time, We record our rehersals all the time ....

erickphilips said:
I'm in the same boat actually. I've been using an old m-audio delta 1010 which has 8 inputs. Just enough for me. I've had to use this driver http://www.audio-evolution.com/drivers/ as the m-audio one won't work. However there is zero latency and it's working like a dream. Only issue. No midi.
Not sure whether you can chain them either.
Hope that helped.
That's really interesting for peoples without the money ! :clap:

marosell said:
Going to be doing a build soon to record music with. I'm a drummer and use between 8-16 mics on my setup.

I'm interested in some sound boards / mixers and don't know what to get. Since I'd like to do most mixing in the software, its not super important to have tons of control knobs on a mixer, is it? I just want something that will pipe 8-16 tracks into my mac at the same time, and have Garageband record each track separately to play with later.

Don't know if I should make sure to get a motherboard that has firewire? Or do many mixing boards find that usb is sufficient? I suppose I could always get an aftermarket 1394 card if I thought I needed it...

What do you guys think? Comments / thoughts are appreciated!

Hello there, late reply I know... but if helps is still needed here's a few question

- what kind of quality you're aiming for?

- what's your budget?

- 16 discrete tracks at the same time would require a lot of hardware (16 preamps to start with) and to do it without a mixer would be very expensive.
You could group them down to eight channels. Overheads for the cymbals, snare up + down, hi hat, kick, toms

for multiple track recordings firewire is definetely the way to go :)

aero++ said:
- what kind of quality you're aiming for?

- what's your budget?

- 16 discrete tracks at the same time would require a lot of hardware (16 preamps to start with) and to do it without a mixer would be very expensive.
You could group them down to eight channels. Overheads for the cymbals, snare up + down, hi hat, kick, toms

for multiple track recordings firewire is definetely the way to go :)

Professional production quality, or close enough that it's difficult to tell that it's not, and for as cheap as possible :D . Vague, I know.

I have mics, so for the board? Less than $2k. Why is a board w/out a mixer more expensive than one with? You would think that not having a mixer would simplify the hardware a bit. Doesn't everybody mix post-recording nowadays with the software?

I'll probably be using Garageband, but I might check out REAPER or ProTools.

First up, I only dabble with music recording these days (so take what follows accordingly!), but regarding mixing, there's a lot to be said for having faders to play with, as opposed to using a mouse. Unless you are just setting relative volumes once or twice in the track.
So, depending on what software you are using, you might want to look at either a separate control input device, or a mixer (with firewire out) that can also be used as a control surface. I like the look and price of those Alesis ones with f/w, but have no experience with them. Personally I use a Moto Traveller, but that's no good on it's own for 8 mics.

An interesting alternative, if you are lucky to find one second hand at a nice price, would be something like a Mackie HDR24/96. Loads of inputs, and totally stand-alone. So you can take that out and about separately, and then just grab the files off it's HD (via USB, but it's not that slow). Provided your s/w can handle the format.

i recommend the M-Audio 10/10...i know you said 16...but for the price and quality it is worth mixing a couple of your mics together...i think so anyways ;)

marosell said:
Professional production quality, or close enough that it's difficult to tell that it's not, and for as cheap as possible :D . Vague, I know.

I have mics, so for the board? Less than $2k. Why is a board w/out a mixer more expensive than one with? You would think that not having a mixer would simplify the hardware a bit. Doesn't everybody mix post-recording nowadays with the software?

I'll probably be using Garageband, but I might check out REAPER or ProTools.

Mixing 'in the box' is definetely a good choice for you.
Audio interfaces normally don't come with more than 2-4 mic preamp, so you'll have to add more externally, either via a mixer or a preamp box

To squeeze all your budget you could coose between the options below
http://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_fireface_800.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/apogee_ensemble.htm

and add extra 4 preamps with this
http://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_quadmic.htm

Or if you want to save a bit of $$$ you could get the fireface 400 (rock solid and beautiful sound)
http://www.thomann.de/gb/rme_fireface_400.htm

and buy an extra preamp like this
http://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_octopre_mkii.htm

There are tons of other cheaper option but if you can afford at least the Fireface 400 do it, you wont have to upgrade in a very long time ;)

Ah don't use garage band use logic 9 or PT9 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back