Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Multi Boot Multi Drive BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I'm having issues with trying to get my machine to boot properly. I have one drive with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, one drive with macOS Mojave, and one drive with Windows 10 1903. When each drive is plugged in on their own, they can boot just fine. When the macOS and Ubuntu drives are in, both will boot just fine. When the Windows and Ubuntu drives are in, they will boot just fine. However, when the macOS and Windows drives are in, only macOS will boot fine. Windows will BSOD with a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. The issue didn't begin until after I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave last week.

When I installed each system, I had only its own drive plugged in. So the drive Ubuntu is installed on was the only drive present when I did the install. The drive macOS is on was the only drive in the system when I did its install. The Windows drive was the only drive in the system when I did its install. Each system was installed in EFI/UEFI mode.

To recap:
DRIVES INSTALLED BOOTING INTO OS BOOT RESULT
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS x64
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Windows 10 Pro x64 1903
Ubuntu
macOS
Windows
Boot Success
Boot Success
BSOD
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS x64
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Ubuntu
macOS
Boot Success
Boot Success
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS x64
Windows 10 Pro x64 1903
Ubuntu
Windows
Boot Success
Boot Success
macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Windows 10 Pro x64 1903
macOS
Windows
Boot Success
BSOD

Last edited:
When you installed Mojave did you change the EFI partition on the Mac OS drive at all?
Check for the Microsoft folder in theEFI or EFI/Clover folder

I didn't change anything in the EFI, as far as I know. Only thing that would have changed would be anything that the Mojave installer would have done.

I've done a complete re-install of Mojave on its disk, plugged in all on its own. I also did a complete reinstall of Windows 10 on its own disk, plugged in all on its own as well. And I still have the same issue. So I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have anything to do with the Mojave upgrade, since a Mojave clean install does the same.

Here's some more interesting bits. When I check the EFI partition on my Mac disk, it appears to be empty. Here's is what I did to check it.

[censored]$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (external, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *512.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 511.9 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: APFS Container Scheme - +511.9 GB disk1
Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume Macintosh SSD 94.8 GB disk1s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 26.5 MB disk1s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 506.8 MB disk1s3
4: APFS Volume VM 20.5 KB disk1s4
[censored]$ sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
[censored]$ sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
[censored]$ sudo ls -lsa /Volumes/EFI/
total 4
1 drwxrwxrwx@ 1 _unknown _unknown 512 Aug 1 01:25 .
0 drwxr-xr-x+ 9 root wheel 288 Aug 1 01:24 ..
1 drwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 512 Aug 1 01:25 .Spotlight-V100
1 drwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 512 Aug 1 01:25 .Trashes
1 drwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 512 Aug 1 01:25 .fseventsd

So... I'm now lost. How does this boot if the EFI partition is blank? Does it read from the APFS somehow? Oh, an important tidbit at this point: this is an actual Mac Pro, so I'm not running Clover.

Last edited:
Mount the Mac OS drive EFI partition and open it in Finder.
Use the EFIMounter app from the forum software downloads -

Unfortunately, still empty, even when using the EFI Mounter.
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 10.16.54 PM.png

Okay, you’re not going to believe this, but I just booted Windows with the Mac drive still installed. I did NOT boot into Mac before booting Windows, though, so hmm... troubleshooting continues.

What has changed? I just installed the 10.14.6 supplemental update. Rebooted. Checked for App Store updates. Then shutdown. Then put my Windows drive in. Then booted to the boot menu, selected my “EFI Boot“ option for Windows. And it booted.

So time to try some more scenarios and see what happens.

Just want to give an update. Everything seems to be running fine now. after The 10.14.6 supplemental update, I don’t have blue screen issues with booting Windows when the Mac drive is plugged in. I’m wondering if maybe the 10.14.6 initial update had issues with this and the supplemental had a fix for it.

I still cannot get the EFI partition to show any files. Still shows empty no matter how I try to mount it. I’ll maybe try mounting it from inside of Linux and see what it shows. But I’m not worried about it at this point.

Just want to give an update. Everything seems to be running fine now. after The 10.14.6 supplemental update, I don’t have blue screen issues with booting Windows when the Mac drive is plugged in. I’m wondering if maybe the 10.14.6 initial update had issues with this and the supplemental had a fix for it.

I still cannot get the EFI partition to show any files. Still shows empty no matter how I try to mount it. I’ll maybe try mounting it from inside of Linux and see what it shows. But I’m not worried about it at this point.
enable show all files and check root - maybe you installed legacy and placed EFI boot in root instead of in EFI partition

since you have failed to follow forum rules and enter your hardware into your profile or create a sig, I have no idea what hardware you are trying to install on.

Unfortunately, also no EFI folder in root.

I explain previously this thread that I'm on a Mac Pro. I've updated my signature with more details. The signature builder doesn't provide for my system, so I entered it manually.

EDIT: Or rather, I had put in my signature manually. It seems to have been removed since then.

Mac Pro 2009, flashed to 2010. Dual Intel Xeon E5520. 8x8GB DDR3-1066. EFI flashed Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB.
Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 12.56.48 AM.png

Mac Pro 2009, flashed to 2010. Dual Intel Xeon E5520. 8x8GB DDR3-1066. EFI flashed Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB.
You do realize, do you not, that the tecniques and tricks presented on this forum site are meant for installing and running the Mac operating systems on off-the-shelf PC hardware, do you not?

Advice on troubleshooting supplied here nine times out of ten will not work on a 'real" Mac. For help with your problem you need to post on a Mac support forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back