Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 / 20C60078BM
CPU
Intel Core i7-4702MQ CPU @ 2.20GHz / Intel HM87 rev. C1
Graphics
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 / 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all!

First of all, I want to apologise if my question is already answered, but I've been searching the forums and couldn't find proper solution.

Let's get to the question.

As you can see from my signature I have Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E540, which came with 1TB HDD.
Since it has M.2 port I upgrade it with SSD 256GB which I wanted to use for dual boot with Win 10 and El Cap.

I have followed several guides, read a lot of posts mainly from RehabMan (you, sir, are the best) and did about 6 fresh installs of Win 10 and around 4 of El Cap. So after all this, my goal was successful! But.. There is one little problem that bothers me.

To be able to help me I will give you information about what I did. So long story short:
I have configured my Bios to boot only with UEFI.
Booted Win 10 installation from DVD. On setup screen, before installing, I have used cmd diskpart to do several preparations on the SSD disk (all partitions on 1TB HDD are deleted and the whole space is unallocated):
Cleaned it, convert it to GPT, create efi partition with 350mb size - format it quick fat32, create one primary partition with the half size of disk leftover.
Installing Win 10 on the primary partition was success. (Win setup didn't create efi and recovery partitions).
After booting in Win 10, I have used diskpart to remove msr partition, since it cause headache to OSX Disk Utility and created another partition with the leftover of the SSD.
So after this I have 3 partitions: Part1 - efi 350mb, Part2 - primary(installed win10) 119gb, Part3 - primary(el cap to be installed) 119gb.
Next thing was to boot clover from usb with el cap installation and format Part3 with HFS+J so I can install it.
Installation and Post Installation of El Capitan was successful.

After booting Win 10 through clover, I lose clover bootloader and upon starting my laptop Win 10 is booting up.
Inside "[GUIDE] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover UEFI" there is a part "Dual boot Windows UEFI" which helped me with this one. I have decided to use the 'efibootmgr' solution so I won't have to worry about windows updates re-creating 'bootmgfw.efi' file.
So I booted Ubuntu and fixed the boot order as shown in example. And to be sure I changed order as shown in example (my 'Clover UEFI' entry was Boot0009 and I used "sudo efibootmgr -o 9") which was success.

After restarting clover was back and I booted successfully in el cap. After that I wanted to boot to Win 10 which was successfully but after restart I lost clover again and Win 10 is auto booting up..

So should I stick to renaming 'bootmgfw.efi' (which I haven't done yet)? Am I doing something wrong?
Help is much appreciated!

Best wishes,
Philip.

After booting Win 10 through clover, I lose clover bootloader and upon starting my laptop Win 10 is booting up.
Inside "[GUIDE] Booting the OS X installer on LAPTOPS with Clover UEFI" there is a part "Dual boot Windows UEFI" which helped me with this one. I have decided to use the 'efibootmgr' solution so I won't have to worry about windows updates re-creating 'bootmgfw.efi' file.
So I booted Ubuntu and fixed the boot order as shown in example. And to be sure I changed order as shown in example (my 'Clover UEFI' entry was Boot0009 and I used "sudo efibootmgr -o 9") which was success.

After restarting clover was back and I booted successfully in el cap. After that I wanted to boot to Win 10 which was successfully but after restart I lost clover again and Win 10 is auto booting up..

So should I stick to renaming 'bootmgfw.efi' (which I haven't done yet)? Am I doing something wrong?
Help is much appreciated!

Check again your UEFI entries with efibootmgr.

Check again your UEFI entries with efibootmgr.

Thank you for your fast reply.

I've checked my UEFI entries - they were rearranged and Windows was in first place again, so I changed order of "Clover UEFI" again to be first. After that I booted to OSX, mounted EFI partition, renamed bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi (just to be sure), unmounted EFI partition and now everything seems to be okay. Clover is not lost after Windows is booted! Yeyy!
I've noticed that if Windows is booted, after restart Clover is with it's the default theme and if El Capitan is booted, after restart Clover is using the theme that I have chosen. I don't think this is a problem but it's worth mention it.

I hope this will solve my problem. If not, I guess I have to carry Ubuntu USB with me just in case :)

Best wishes,
Philip.

I've noticed that if Windows is booted, after restart Clover is with it's the default theme and if El Capitan is booted, after restart Clover is using the theme that I have chosen. I don't think this is a problem but it's worth mention it.

Something strange is happening, like it is booting to a different EFI/Clover. You should check your Clover bootlog for an explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back