Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Hopefully this will help someone with a similar set-up.

I had a mostly stable system running Yosemite on a stock frequency i7-4790K, and being the tinkerer I am, I was tempted to start overlocking the 4790K. Had it running very stable at 4.7GHz in Windows 8.1, had what appears to be a very stable OC at the same frequency in Yosemite as well. Then eventually some odd behavior cropped up.

First up, when the computer goes into deep sleep, upon wake none of the USB port would work. The input cursor would blink so the system hasn't crashed/froze.

Then, when I copy very large files (1+GB) the ethernet would basically shut down after about 300mb of transfer. Not just disconnect...Shut down. The router won't see the plugged in wire and the control panel shows Ethernet in red as in nothing is connected. None of the lights on the port on the back of the computer is on.

I've been trying all sorts of combinations of settings in BIOS to track this down, including quite a few suggestions about turning off CPU over voltage. On the MSI BIOS, CPU over voltage is marked as PCI PLL Filter (found a cross reference somewhere, might have been Anandtech, that shows this setting). Turning this off made a small difference, it no longer fully shut-down all USB ports, but upon wake, USB port would "come alive" or wake up after about 20 seconds. The network issue was never resolved, so I went back to running stock 4.0GHz/4.4 Turbo frequency for the time being.

Then I started poking around Clover's Boot Options and noticed that under CPU menu the Bus Speed is listed as 99XXX and changes from boot to boot. Upon reading up on the Bus Speed option menu, it says incorrect bus speed can cause all sort of instability...Then I went into the BIOS and realized that MSI's settings alters the bus speed in addition to CPU multiplier and voltage when overlocking to a dynamic CPU rate (I left it on dynamic instead of static) Setting the bus speed to static at 100MHz in BIOS fixed all the sleep/wake issues when the CPU is over-clocked while CPU speed is dynamic. I guess the board simply alters the voltage now to change the CPU speed depending on load.

Now that I got that fixed, I'm going to see if I can push 5.0GHz and still remain stable...It ran Prime95 fine a while at 4.9GHz in Windows 8.1, except the CPU reached 89º C while under load.

I have the same USB issue after wake no matter what the overclock is with basically the same setup. I'll give your suggestions a try.

One question, does setting the bus to static disable the speed stepping?

Any chance you could post a screen shot of you OC settings in the BIOS?

I am not sure where to set the bus to 100MHz static, I've looked all over, and this is new to me so I might just be mixing up the terminology and what the options are label as.

Thanks for sharing that information, I am planning to use same CPU but on a Gigabyte Z97 Black Edition board. Your post will help me alot as I will be playing with OC.:headbang:

I still cannot figure out the no USB after sleep issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back