Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 GAMING 5
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
Graphics
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Hello,

So, I built a custom PC and then had the ingenious idea to install Mac OS X on another SSD drive so I can run both Windows 7 & Mac OS X...work and play on the same machine. I have worked my way through the installation process of Mountain Lion with Unibeast 5. I figured out which Boot Flags I needed to use...

(-v -x npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=No nv_disable=1)

and everything is running fine...except that OS X can't detect an ethernet connection. I used Multibeast and installed the network drivers one at a time (with clean installs in between) No dice, still no internet connection...

I've read on here that I might need to do a DSDT Install for my BIOS, just wanted to post something to see if anyone knows anything about the parts I used in my built below...

Just needing some help with Post-Installation

Motherboard - MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU - Intel Core i7 - 4790K
Graphics - MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4gb

Other Hardware -
G.Skill 16GB DDR3
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
CX750M ATX Power Supply 750 Watt
Corsair Hydro Series™ H80i GT
AOC E2727SHE Glossy Black 27" 2ms

Hello,

So, I built a custom PC and then had the ingenious idea to install Mac OS X on another SSD drive so I can run both Windows 7 & Mac OS X...work and play on the same machine. I have worked my way through the installation process of Mountain Lion with Unibeast 5. I figured out which Boot Flags I needed to use...

(-v -x npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=No nv_disable=1)

and everything is running fine...except that OS X can't detect an ethernet connection. I used Multibeast and installed the network drivers one at a time (with clean installs in between) No dice, still no internet connection...

I've read on here that I might need to do a DSDT Install for my BIOS, just wanted to post something to see if anyone knows anything about the parts I used in my built below...

Just needing some help with Post-Installation

Motherboard - MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU - Intel Core i7 - 4790K
Graphics - MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4gb

Other Hardware -
G.Skill 16GB DDR3
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
CX750M ATX Power Supply 750 Watt
Corsair Hydro Series™ H80i GT
AOC E2727SHE Glossy Black 27" 2ms

Your motherboard uses the Atheros Killer E2205 ethernet chip. Here's what you need to do:

• Remove any third-party network drivers you have from /S/L/E and /L/E:
ALXEthernet.kext
AppleIGB.kext
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext (this is the one you want to install, butt remove it for now, we're going to make sure it gets installed correctly)
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext​

• Download a fresh copy of AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext from http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=11.
  • Download KextBeast (even if you already have it, there's a newer version) from http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3.
  • Double-click on the downloaded .zip archives to extract the kext and KextBeast.
  • Copy the resulting AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext to the Desktop.
  • Run KextBeast, which will copy any .kext files on the Desktop into their recommended location (/S/L/E for OS X up to 10.10.x, /L/E for El Capitan), fix the permissions, and flag the kextcache to be rebuilt on next boot.
  • Reboot.

nobodynose,

Thank you!

I'll be getting this done and letting you know if all is setup and working 100%.

Thanks again.

nobodynose,

Hey! I actually tried one thing before doing what you said and it all works perfectly now.

I used the Boot Flags -v nv_disable=1

and it installed and setup all by it'self...crazy...internet and everything.

I downloaded OS X El Capitan and will be installing this version.

*** Should I still do what you told me to make the OS X bootable and work correctly? ***

Thanks again!

nobodynose,

Hey! I actually tried one thing before doing what you said and it all works perfectly now.

I used the Boot Flags -v nv_disable=1

and it installed and setup all by it'self...crazy...internet and everything.

I can't explain that, but I'm glad it's working now!

*** Should I still do what you told me to make the OS X bootable and work correctly? ***

Absolutely! The post-installation step, most easily accomplished using MultiBeast, is essential to get everything working in most systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back