Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97 GAMING 5
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
Graphics
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
Hello,

So, I built a custom PC and then had the ingenious idea to install Mac OS X on another SSD drive so I can run both Windows 7 & Mac OS X...work and play on the same machine. I have worked my way through the installation process of Mountain Lion with Unibeast 5. I figured out which Boot Flags I needed to use...

(-v -x npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=No nv_disable=1)

and everything is running fine...except that OS X can't detect an ethernet connection. I used Multibeast and installed the network drivers one at a time (with clean installs in between) No dice, still no internet connection...

I've read on here that I might need to do a DSDT Install for my BIOS, just wanted to post something to see if anyone knows anything about the parts I used in my built below...

Just needing some help with Post-Installation

Motherboard - MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU - Intel Core i7 - 4790K
Graphics - MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4gb

Other Hardware -
G.Skill 16GB DDR3
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
CX750M ATX Power Supply 750 Watt
Corsair Hydro Series™ H80i GT
AOC E2727SHE Glossy Black 27" 2ms

nobodynose

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M Pro4
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello,

So, I built a custom PC and then had the ingenious idea to install Mac OS X on another SSD drive so I can run both Windows 7 & Mac OS X...work and play on the same machine. I have worked my way through the installation process of Mountain Lion with Unibeast 5. I figured out which Boot Flags I needed to use...

(-v -x npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=No nv_disable=1)

and everything is running fine...except that OS X can't detect an ethernet connection. I used Multibeast and installed the network drivers one at a time (with clean installs in between) No dice, still no internet connection...

I've read on here that I might need to do a DSDT Install for my BIOS, just wanted to post something to see if anyone knows anything about the parts I used in my built below...

Just needing some help with Post-Installation

Motherboard - MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU - Intel Core i7 - 4790K
Graphics - MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4gb

Other Hardware -
G.Skill 16GB DDR3
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
CX750M ATX Power Supply 750 Watt
Corsair Hydro Series™ H80i GT
AOC E2727SHE Glossy Black 27" 2ms

Your motherboard uses the Atheros Killer E2205 ethernet chip. Here's what you need to do:

• Remove any third-party network drivers you have from /S/L/E and /L/E:
ALXEthernet.kext
AppleIGB.kext
AppleIntelE1000e.kext
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext (this is the one you want to install, butt remove it for now, we're going to make sure it gets installed correctly)
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext​

• Download a fresh copy of AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext from http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=11.
  • Download KextBeast (even if you already have it, there's a newer version) from http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=3.
  • Double-click on the downloaded .zip archives to extract the kext and KextBeast.
  • Copy the resulting AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext to the Desktop.
  • Run KextBeast, which will copy any .kext files on the Desktop into their recommended location (/S/L/E for OS X up to 10.10.x, /L/E for El Capitan), fix the permissions, and flag the kextcache to be rebuilt on next boot.
  • Reboot.

Motherboard
MSI Z97 GAMING 5
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
Graphics
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
nobodynose,

Thank you!

I'll be getting this done and letting you know if all is setup and working 100%.

Thanks again.

Motherboard
MSI Z97 GAMING 5
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
Graphics
MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
nobodynose,

Hey! I actually tried one thing before doing what you said and it all works perfectly now.

I used the Boot Flags -v nv_disable=1

and it installed and setup all by it'self...crazy...internet and everything.

I downloaded OS X El Capitan and will be installing this version.

*** Should I still do what you told me to make the OS X bootable and work correctly? ***

Thanks again!

nobodynose

Motherboard
ASRock Z370M Pro4
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
nobodynose,

Hey! I actually tried one thing before doing what you said and it all works perfectly now.

I used the Boot Flags -v nv_disable=1

and it installed and setup all by it'self...crazy...internet and everything.

I can't explain that, but I'm glad it's working now!

*** Should I still do what you told me to make the OS X bootable and work correctly? ***

Absolutely! The post-installation step, most easily accomplished using MultiBeast, is essential to get everything working in most systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.