Contribute
Register

MSI Z590 ACE + i9-10900k Thunderbolt 4 Maple Ridge set up issues

Okay so I got out the TS3+ dock, which is PCIE only - I think part of the confusion that happens with the TS4 is that it is a TB4 AND USB4 dock, so if it fails to connect over TB4, then it will just revert to being USB only. The TS3+ is only a PCIE TB3 dock, so it's easier to tell if hot plugging is working.

That said: Hotplugging is still not working - I plugged it in and it failed to connect.

Should I reenable the SSDT-TB3HP.aml in my config.plist?

My biggest thing is; I don't want to blindly enable and disable stuff and just say hey! it works! and call it a day; I like to know why something is working and what it's doing instead of just firing files at it! That's why I really appreciate your help with this - I'm starting to figure out a bit more of what's going on! Fixing TB4 has always been the one thing I wanted to do, and I'm stoked to be getting this much closer!
The IOReg screenshot indicates that the new Thunderbolt SSDT has still not taken effect (hence no hot plug). This is surprising so let's check all the basics again:
  • Post a screenshot of OpenCore Configurator --> ACPI page.
  • If you have more than one EFI partition, check that you're booting from the correct disk. If in doubt, open the BIOS boot menu and select the right boot disk.
  • What we're looking for is this:
    • Under RP01 we should see a sub-device called UPSB
    • And under UPSB we should see DSB0, and under DSB0 we should see NHI0
    • We should also see DSB1, DSB2, and DSB3
  • If we don't see these devices, it means the Thunderbolt SSDT has not taken effect and hot plug will not be functional

I downloaded OpenCore Configurator, and here is the requested screenshot (I'm on OpenCore 0.8.1 however)
Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 10.43.03.png

Am I booted to the correct disk - I accidentally booted to the wrong one earlier, but still ruled that out, and I'm still not seeing UPSB or the other devices.

EDIT: hold on, I just noticed that yeah, the new SSDT isn't in the list. The heck? I know I added it! One second

I downloaded OpenCore Configurator, and here is the requested screenshot (I'm on OpenCore 0.8.1 however)
View attachment 550621
Am I booted to the correct disk - I accidentally booted to the wrong one earlier, but still ruled that out, and I'm still not seeing UPSB or the other devices.

EDIT: hold on, I just noticed that yeah, the new SSDT isn't in the list. The heck? I know I added it! One second
Now you see why I always recommend using an app such as OpenCore Configurator. :)

HOWEVER, please note that the TITLE BAR of your screenshot says OpenCore 0.6.0 Release Configuration. This means you're using the wrong version of OpenCore Configurator (OCC). Each version of OCC supports only 2 versions of OpenCore. For the latest OpenCore 0.8.1 we must download OCC version 2.61.1.0.

Thank you! I noticed that as well haha, I just grabbed the download from the Downloads section, but I'll go back to the source and download the latest version!

AYYY it shows up now! And now my Thunderbolt controllers show up in System Profiler.
Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 10.53.07.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-04 at 10.54.02.png

AND HOTPLUGGING WORKS! Both the TS4 and the TS3+ hotplug just fine now, with ethernet disconnecting and reconnecting properly!

AND HOTPLUGGING WORKS! Both the TS4 and the TS3+ hotplug just fine now, with ethernet disconnecting and reconnecting properly!
Glad to hear; that's more like it!

Glad to hear; that's more like it!
Thank you so much for all the help!
The last thing is trying to get the DisplayPort to work reliably, but I think it's more of an issue with the dock than with macOS. If I connect to the DisplayPort on the dock while macOS is booted, I get full resolution and refresh ranges, but as soon as I shut down the PC and start up again, I get no display out even in BIOS, and even moving the DP cable back to the PC results in no signal, so I have to force reboot the machine :l I don't know if it's related or not, but I'm guessing it's not. I have that little DisplayPort > miniDP adapter that was included with my motherboard for pass through DP, and it just... works sometimes and sometimes not hah

But I've rebooted it several times, and confirmed that hotplugging continues to work reliably each time!

Thank you again for all the help @CaseySJ! You've been an absolute life saver, and I couldn't be more thankful! Thank you for your time and support :)

Last edited:
Hi @stiligFox, I have a similar setup as yours, but my board is Z690.
I'm trying to make the Maple-Ridge work, but it is very unstable.
I use a Sabrent Thunderbolt 3 enclosure with a 2Tb Silicon Power Gen4 NVMe to test with, also a HooToo Hub.
I think the port mapping is done correctly, but I'm no expert. With the last build there was no port limit issue.

When the Silicon Power is detected at startup (TypeC closer to the big DisplayPort) the Maple-Ridge section in IOReg shows this:
Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 01.54.42.png

I've attached my EFI folder and IOReg file. My build is a MacPro7,1 i9-12900k, 64GB RAM, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite DDR4, 6800 XT.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• Z690-AORUS-ELITE-DDR4-MAPLE-RIDGE.ioreg
    7 MB · Views: 58
  • Z690-AORUS-ELITE-DDR4-MAPLE.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Sorry for bothering @CaseySJ
I found out that the driver is not installed, so I guess that the aml file isn't loading maybe?

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 10.29.20.png

Sorry for bothering @CaseySJ
I found out that the driver is not installed, so I guess that the aml file isn't loading maybe?

View attachment 559510
Hi @olvido,

That is okay actually. The Thunderbolt SSDT is working, but there are two versions of the SSDT:
  • One version does not change the NHI (native host controller) device ID from Maple Ridge to Titan Ridge. This is the version you are currently using. Because macOS does not fully support Maple Ridge, it reports that no driver is installed for Thunderbolt Controller.
  • The other version changes the device ID to Titan Ridge. Then the driver will be installed, but we find that this is less reliable.
We experimented with both options and found that neither option is ideal, but the first option is generally better.

Thank you @CaseySJ !
The problem is that only sometimes I get the external thunderbolt drive mounted. Don't really know why...
My point is that when the thunderbolt drive it is mounted hot-plug is not working, because once I eject it there is no coming back until don't know when...:rolleyes:
Anyway I did a test copying 750GB from the external thunderbolt drive to a internal WD Black 850, and it took less than 8 minutes. I guess it was working correctly.

I tried different Maple Ridge SSDT:
  • SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V1B.aml
  • SSDT-MAPLE-RIDGE-RP05-V2
I also tried the RP01 but that one I realised wasn't my case.

Could it be possible to enable hot-plug?

Thank you so much @CaseySJ !

Back