Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z270M MORTAR
CPU
Intel i5 7600k (no overclock)
Graphics
HD 630 (Onboard)
Anyone know if this MB will support a PCI thunderbolt 3 card? I've seen a couple sites list a thunderbolt header in the specs, but most do not. Thanks.

Thanks for the response. Is it possible this means thunderbolt 2 support only?

I have this board and don't see and listing for a TBT header in the link or have not found one on the board. I do see a TPM header which has nothing to do with Thunderbolt.

I have this board and don't see and listing for a TBT header in the link or have not found one on the board. I do see a TPM header which has nothing to do with Thunderbolt.

The manual for the motherboard said that the TBT connector is labelled "JTBT1" and is located at the bottom left corner besides the SATA ports and the front panel connectors JFP1 / JFP2.

I stand corrected! Yes there is indeed a TB header in the location you mentioned. It is indicated in the manual but not explained other than with an asterix and footnoote. Thanks for point this out. I wonder if I should try the ASRock Add-On Card Model THUNDERBOLT 3AIC ? It is $79.00 US from NewEgg. I have a PCI E slot available under the 1060gtx. Would this card if require drivers possibly? Suggestions?

Last edited:
I stand corrected! Yes there is indeed a TB header in the location you mentioned. It is indicated in the manual but not explained other than with an asterix and footnoote. Thanks for point this out. I wonder if I should try the ASRock Add-On Card Model THUNDERBOLT 3AIC ? It is $79.00 US from NewEgg. I have a PCI E slot available under the 1060gtx. Would this card if require drivers possibly? Suggestions?

As you said, MSI did not even elaborate what use is there for that port. So there is no way to know if the card will work with the port unless you or others try it.

Drivers for Thunderbolt will be provided with the card for Windows. For MacOS the drivers are contained in the OS itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back