Contribute
Register

MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X

Which MB is better for a 6th gen hackintosh?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS H97M-E
CPU
Intel i5 4460
Graphics
MSI GTX 750 2GB
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hey guys,
I hope I'm posting this in the correct sub-forum, if not, would admins please move it.

Anyway, I'm about to upgrade my PC to 6th gen hardware.
I'm jumping from i5 4460 & asus h97m-e to
i5 6600k & a new MB which I'm troubling with ATM.

I wanted to buy ASUS Z170-A or Z170-PRO, but seeing they still use USB 3.0 instead of 3.1 and they aren't saying if their 3.1 Type C + A combo is Gen1 or Gen2.

I want the latest features, so I took a look at MSI Z170A Krait Gaming, and I really love the color scheme.
Planning on getting a white NZXT S340 case, a white ASUS GTX 1060 Dual (when it gets support), so I wanna show that nice color scheme.

I was confused, there's like 5 versions of the board:

MSI Z170 Krait Gaming
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming R6 Siege
MSI Z170A Krait Gaming (for Xeons)

I saw that Z170 (without A) doesn't have USB 3.1, I saw that 1 is for Xeons, and I saw that 3X and R6 Siege is the same board, it's just 1 comes with a game I don't care about, so I'm left with 2 choices:

MSI Z170A Krait Gaming

On buyer's guide of August 2016, there is MSI Z170A Krait Gaming listed TWICE.

From what I saw on MSI's site, there's not much difference between these two.
3X has Type C + A USB 3.1, while the 1st one has 2x Type A USB 3.1. (I want that Type C though, planning on getting a new phone soon (OnePlus 3 with type C)).
3X has corrected SATA ports orientation (they made problems for the 2nd GPU, I think).
Has I/O ports whiter, or so it seems from picture.
Logo is gone too. But these last 2 differences are really minor.

As for LAN and Audio, I didn't see any differences.
So, my question is, since I'd rather buy the 3X version (and it's in store right now), can I do that?
Is the 3X version of this board supported for hackintosh?
Can anyone with a little bit of experience take a look at MSI's site, and take a look at these 2 boards to clear this for me?
Or, if anyone has used this board in a build already. I couldn't find by searching, though.

The difference between the two in the Buyers guide is that one of them has an AsMedia USB3.0 chip and more USB3.0 ports than the other. The MSI site I cannot to does not list the 3X version, so maybe this is a Euro only board?

Regardless, if the differences are minor, then it should work as well as the ones in the Buyer's Guide.

The difference between the two in the Buyers guide is that one of them has an AsMedia USB3.0 chip and more USB3.0 ports than the other. The MSI site I cannot to does not list the 3X version, so maybe this is a Euro only board?

Regardless, if the differences are minor, then it should work as well as the ones in the Buyer's Guide.

Hmm, I was looking at the Global MSI site.
In my country, there are 3 versions of the board. The Z170, Z170A & Z170A 3X. Cheapest to most expensive.
Here are the links.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-KRAIT-GAMING.html#hero-overview
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-KRAIT-GAMING-3X.html#hero-overview

The 3x has something called "Nahimic Audio Enhancer: Immersive sound quality that pushes the limits of reality".
I don't know if this would affect the audio, but I'm pretty sure they both have Realtek 7.1 ALC 1150 audio.

As far as USB goes, they both have the same ASMedia® ASM1142 Chipset.
1st 1 has 6xUSB3.1 (4 back, 2 mid board) from the z170 chipset
& 2xUSB3.1 (both type A, gen 2) from ASM1142.

The 3X also has 6xUSB3.1 (2 back, 4 mid board) from the z170
& 2xUSB3.1 (1 type A & 1 type C(which I want), gen 2) from ASM1142.

The 3X board has something called TBT connector, for Internal I/O, but I don't even know what that means and I doubt it's something that can mess up a hackintosh.

Apart from these 2 things, I really don't see anything else.

I've had trouble before, picking up a board that had like 3 extra letters than the 1 recommended. (same board, but 1 was for EU, I guess), and it took a lot of time to resolve.
I'd rather wait for someone to test this 3X Krait board, or someone who can confirm it's the same as normal Krait, 99% sure.
The return policy is terrible where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back