Contribute
Register

MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8GB OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's it working out for you in Mac OS?

I had an MSI Vega 56 Air Boost. It ran a little hot and can get noisy, but worked fine in macOS.

After using this card for about a year, I switched to a PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 and it runs much, much cooler and I almost never hear the fans. It also overclocks like crazy.

Sounds like a great card. Where did you buy it?

I found a good deal and bought it used on eBay. I still have this card running in a secondary system of mine and it works great.

I flashed the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ BIOS on mine and the fans don't even spin until there's some load on the card in macOS. Beware that this can only be done on models that have Samsung HBM VRAM.

I flashed the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ BIOS on mine and the fans don't even spin until there's some load on the card in macOS.

How noisy was the Red Dragon Vega 56 card before you flashed the BIOS (w/ Vega 64 Nitro +)?

How noisy was the Red Dragon Vega 56 card before you flashed the BIOS (w/ Vega 64 Nitro +)?

There's no discernible difference before and after flashing.

The purpose of flashing the BIOS was so that more voltage could be fed to the HBM VRAM and thereby allow it to run at higher clock speeds. The purpose of flashing was NOT to improve on noise.

For a used graphics card like the Vega 56 or RX 580, what thermal paste would you recommend? Any tips?

Personally, I try to use Liquid Metal on everything that I can but it's not for everyone... Because Liquid Metal is electrically conductive, it carries significant risk. For those who do not want to take chances, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is probably the best thermal paste out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back