Contribute
Register

MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8GB OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a used graphics card like the Vega 56 or RX 580, what thermal paste would you recommend? Any tips?

I use Noctua NT-H2 or NT-H1 because I have a lot of it. Sometimes arctic silver 5. The advantage of the arctic silver 5 is the fact that it remains fluid over long periods of time. The mating of surfaces is much more important than the paste. ALL paste kinda sux. The more direct contact with the metal, the better. I've always wondered if copper leaf or copper foil would be better than paste. maybe gold or silver leaf. great care would be required.

I use Noctua NT-H2 or NT-H1 because I have a lot of it. Sometimes arctic silver 5. The advantage of the arctic silver 5 is the fact that it remains fluid over long periods of time. The mating of surfaces is much more important than the paste. ALL paste kinda sux. The more direct contact with the metal, the better. I've always wondered if copper leaf or copper foil would be better than paste. maybe gold or silver leaf. great care would be required.

There are carbon pads that work pretty well...

For a used graphics card like the Vega 56 or RX 580, what thermal paste would you recommend? Any tips?

if the chips have heat spreaders on them like CPUs. Diamond dust based thermal paste should be good because the micro diamonds will actually embed themselves in spreader and heatsink creating a very efficient thermal bridge. Diamond dust on silicon dies will likely kill the chips.

https://www.amazon.com/IC-Diamond-24-Carat-Compound/dp/B0042IBAOG

I have not used this stuff yet.

IC Diamond has a reputation for scratching the surfaces they are used on.

Yes it does. Not a problem if you spread it with a razor blade and mash down the heatsink on the heat spreader without a lot of side to side movement. You are essentially forcing the softer materials to "weld" to the diamonds. It is best for something you put together and never take apart again. The diamonds will penetrate both the heatsink and the heat spreader. It would likely make a good lapping compound.

Yes it does. Not a problem if you spread it with a razor blade and mash down the heatsink on the heat spreader without a lot of side to side movement. You are essentially forcing the softer materials to "weld" to the diamonds. It is best for something you put together and never take apart again. The diamonds will penetrate both the heatsink and the heat spreader. It would likely make a good lapping compound.

In the comparisons, I've seen the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the best of the conventional thermal pastes.

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 1.38.26 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-17 at 1.39.00 PM.png

In the comparisons, I've seen the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the best of the conventional thermal pastes.

View attachment 440953View attachment 440954

Again, making sure the contact surfaces are flat are far more important than the paste. Also note the 24k is closer to your Thermal Grizzly. I frankly use what ever I have. If I really want a better coupling, I'll use my mill to lap the heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back