Contribute
Register

MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT GAMING MX 6GB for $269.99 AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
If wanted to splurge for a Sapphire 5600, how hard is it to rip the drive cage out? Drill the rivets out?

Last edited:
If wanted to splurge for a Sapphire 5600, how hard is it to rip the drive cage out? Drill the rivets out?
There's a video I linked to in the Optiplex guide that shows exactly how to do it. It's linked in the buyer's guide part of the first post. The title is: Modify your Dell Mini-Tower and Use a Longer 10"+ Graphics Card

Here's the quick 3-4 minute version of HDD cage removal. Watch the whole video for all the details. Not as simple as you would think. Requires a cordless drill and a good number of different sized bits.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link. I have a cordless drill and the bits but probably will need to get a bit extension to get to the bottom of the cage.

In the past, I have used Dremel to cut the cage out makes a mess... The rivets are likely faster and not as big of a mess as long as that is an option. In the case, I cut the HD cage from it was monolithic with the CD ROM cage. I wanted to keep the CD ROM bays so cutting was the best option for me.

I found a Sapphire 5600 XT for $231 (open box at Micro Center). Tested it in one of my others systems and it's super quiet even at 99% utilization.

I drilled out the rivets using the video. I don't have a drill bit extension so I simply tilted my drill to get to the rivets in the bottom of the drive cage, worked just fine. Now if only I had realized that purchasing from ModDIY and using standard shipping, would take weeks to get my PSU adapter to get here from Hong Kong.

I found a Sapphire 5600 XT for $231 (open box at Micro Center). Tested it in one of my others systems and it's super quiet even at 99% utilization.
Good to hear it's that quiet. Even audio people should be able to use one then. Do you have the Dell 9010 or 9020 ? If I recall, longer cards block the Sata ports on the motherboard of the 9010. Is that an issue at all ?

I have a 9020 but I have to say even with the drive cage removed it was a tight squeeze to get the card to slide by the memory slots.

I have a 9020 but I have to say even with the drive cage removed it was a tight squeeze to get the card to slide by the memory slots.
Yes, same for me. My RX570 from Gigabyte has a metal backplate that sits right against the levers to release the ram. How is the card performing with macOS Catalina ?

I briefly tested the card in my other Win10 system. I am still waiting on the power supply adapter from MODDIY to get here. Since I do not game, I will leave the card in silent mode vs performance mode.

The MODDIY adapter finally arrived from Hong Kong. So replaced PS, inserted the card, and tried to boot (10.15.7). For some reason when i go into Clover menu > options > Graphics Injections, I see InjectATI selected for RX 5600 and InjectIntel selected for HD4600. I have to manually uncheck them to successfully boot. If not unchecked it will boot for a while and then panic. I am using your config.plist that I double-checked again does not inject anything under the Graphics section. I don't understand why clover tries to auto inject. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back