Contribute
Register

MSI Radeon RX 560 4GT LP OC 4GB Low Profile @ $125 ($110 after rebate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the UI smoothness when compared to using an Nvidia card is like night and day. It was immediately noticeable to me the second i got to the desktop.

I know this probably doesn’t belong here so I apologize…

Do you have an opinion on virtualSMC versus fakeSMC, especially on Mojave and moving forward here

I know this probably doesn’t belong here so I apologize…

Do you have an opinion on virtualSMC versus fakeSMC, especially on Mojave and moving forward here

I tried VirtualSMC with my main desktop back when version 1.0.1 was released. It worked fine. But I felt it still needed a bit of work because I lost a lot of the sensors such as fan sensors, etc. so I reverted back to FakeSMC due to its stability and very long development history.

I hadn't tried VirtualSMC again until about 2-3 weeks ago when I was re-doing my laptop. I decided to eschew using a custom DSDT in favor of using VirtualSMC just to test things out. It has been working great and the laptop has been running 24/7 since then with no issues whatsoever. However, as with my experience with the desktop, I did lose some sensors. It's less important to me on the laptop and it didn't bother me so I've continued to use VirtualSMC there.

Recently, ModMike posted that he got more sensors working in VirtualSMC but I haven't tested that build yet.

Looking ahead, I think that VirtualSMC's future looks bright. I may end up switching my desktop to it eventually. For now, I can say that both VirtualSMC and FakeSMC work. It's up to users to decide which they prefer. On laptops, I think VirtualSMC makes more sense because it can greatly simplify installing macOS.

@pastrychef

Are you saying VirtualSMC allows for less patched ACPI stuff?

(I'm on z370n-wifi here, currently testing iMac 18,3 - can find any difference operationally between Fake & Virtual so far)

I'm getting a SERIOUS itch for as simple, native and non touched install as possible here.
This RX 560 situation has totally opened my eyes - to the point of hovering above the "buy now" button on a Radeon VII

@pastrychef

Are you saying VirtualSMC allows for less patched ACPI stuff?

(I'm on z370n-wifi here, currently testing iMac 18,3 - can find any difference operationally between Fake & Virtual so far)

I'm getting a SERIOUS itch for a simple, native and non touched install as possible here.
This RX 560 situation has totally opened my eyes - to the point of hovering above the "buy now" button on a Radeon VII

On laptops, yes. One of the primary reasons why I needed to patch my DSDT on my laptop was to gain functional battery support (such as allowing macOS to know when it's charging, plugged in, or running on battery, etc.). VirtualSMC has support for this built-in so I was able trashed my DSDT.aml file.

I've been a bit busy and dragging my feet a bit but I do intend on doing a rewrite on my laptop guide with a far simpler installation method with the use of VirtualSMC.

On desktops, this isn't needed and I can't say either VirtualSMC or FakeSMC works better than the other. Other than the sensors, they both worked equally as well in my testing.

With a supported video card, installation for your hardware should be very close to "native" already.

Thx. Apologies for veering off topic a bit.
Cheers

I don't have this card on me anymore, but I'm curious if anyone is currently using it with Mojave and can comment on the fans and if they are controlled and idle low, etc

Out of stock on NewEgg (( Does anybody know where else to buy it with international shipping? Found it only on Amazon.

Last edited:
I probably looked the same item. US seller and shipping & taxes would have been too much.

I don't have this card on me anymore, but I'm curious if anyone is currently using it with Mojave and can comment on the fans and if they are controlled and idle low, etc

I found your thread about the fan profile of this card very helpful. Unfortunately this thing still spins at 30% at idle in Mojave. My SFF case has a 80mm fan blowing next to it (front to back of card) so I'm going to remove the stock fans and use a mini GPU adapter and connect it to the 80mm. It's a Noctua and larger so hopefully it won't be as annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back