Contribute
Register

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4 + i7-12700K + AMD RX 580

I'll be updating towards the end of November as i've got some Pro Tools sessions to run and can't risk something not working. Keep scouring the forum though, I bet you you someone else has the same ethernet controller issue as we'll all be updating. Most likely its something super simple.

@danofun thanks for the kind words! I've had a busy touring schedule since June so i've been a bit absent but plan to dive back into this stuff as soon as i'm back. Thanks for keeping the thread alive and being helpful.

@Nikos87 this would be a sweet machine for you. My EFI, though not completely current, should work fine for you just read over post #1 as there are some nuances and knowing how it works is crucial--we are our own troublshooters. Also I believe you'll need to add the boot arg
Code:
agdpmod=pikera
for your 5700xt. Is that right @Feartech?
or:
Code:
agdpmod=pikera

Hi @sonny362 thanks for the response, and others.
I'm using OC 0.8.5, which I created by basically syncing the sample config plist in the 0.8.5 release back to the plist from @NorthAmTransAm 's 8.0 config posted in this thread. There are actually very few changes, mainly, they removed a few things. I'm using the same MOBO BIOS as posted in this thread, configured exactly the same, because when I started tweaking things, I started getting WindowServer crashes (that could have been bios tweaks or config tweaks, the 8.0 EFI posted in this thread is slightly different than the config as described in OP; I am using the 8.0 EFI config).
I would say the only significant difference between my system and the OP is that I have the 6800 XT GPU and I run dual monitors over DP ports. In fact this had been the main weirdness I had not resolved, when the system boots, only one monitor comes up, and the second monitor doesn't come up unless the system sleeps and resumes, or I manually replug in the second monitor.
One thing I'll try right now is booting Monterey on this 0.8.5 config.

Edit: booted Monterey using the 0.8.5 config, and Ethernet works fine, and shows up in Hackintool under peripherals as expected. I guess I need to look in the logs for messages around Ethernet.

Last edited:
Hi @aol.
I'm using OC 0.8.5 too, and my Ethernet is written in DeviceProperties only:

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1c,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
<dict>
<key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
<string>Internal@0,28,0/0,0</string>
<key>device-id</key>
<data>8xWGgA==</data>
<key>device_type</key>
<string>Ethernet controller</string>
<key>model</key>
<string>Intel Ethernet controller i225-V</string>
</dict>

It's enough to Ventura for me.
I can upload my EFI to you, if you need it.

I'm using two monitors too (HDMI + DP connectors on my GPU). Do you're using direct cables without and adapters? macOS is very sensitive to any kind of adapter. I have similar trouble with monitor connected by HDMI-HDMI cable with DP-HDMI adapter (under Windows all works fine), i changed this to cable DP-HDMI - all works fine.

Thanks Man! will give it a go and report back. My next move is going to be purchasing a TB card. I read in post #1 that the best bet is the Titan Ridge. Is Maple ridge a complete no go, or is it a matter of some features not working? All I need the TB card for is to connect the Apollo X4 and that’s it. So I am likely to avoid flashing the Titan.

Thanks Man! will give it a go and report back , my next move is going to be purchasing a TB card.I read in post #1 that the best bet is the Titan Ridge , is Maple ridge a complete no go , or is it a matter of some features not working ? All I need the TB card for is to connect the Apollo X4 and that’s it , so I am likely to avoid flashing the Titan
please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

Thanks Man! will give it a go and report back , my next move is going to be purchasing a TB card.I read in post #1 that the best bet is the Titan Ridge , is Maple ridge a complete no go , or is it a matter of some features not working ? All I need the TB card for is to connect the Apollo X4 and that’s it , so I am likely to avoid flashing the Titan
Even without flashing I find it safest to roll with a GC-Titan.

Very strange.
I have the same mobo, there isn't any troubles with Ethernet (i225-V) in Ventura.
I tried this one in Ventura beta - all OK. Last night upgraded my Monterey 12.6.0 to Ventura - the same. Ethernet works on 2500 fine, without fixing the speed.

1. What OC version are you using?
2. Do you using the last mobo BIOS?

So... step one is complete ,sadly i had no luck with your EFI ,but i was able to use a diffrent one and install macOS , evething seems to be working ,so success i guess.
Regardless ,Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions my friend !

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 20.17.00.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 20.17.00.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 20.18.35.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 20.18.35.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 51
@sonny362 Thanks, that fixed it for me! I had a slightly different PciRoot and Internal@ value, once they matched your values, it worked! I don't even seem to need to modify the hardware settings; in Monterey I seemed to need to force it from automatic (which would do 2500baseT) to manual (1000baseT). In Ventura, automatic mode seems to detect that my old switch/router only supports 1000baseT or whatever, works in automatic mode.

RE Monitors: my second monitor is an old Apple Cinema Display, connected to the GPU via a dongle. So it's GPU DP port -> dongle -> Apple lightning -> display. FWIW my Windows partition does not boot up to both monitors either. My old GPU (5700 XT) booted up two monitors in all environments, so I guess it's as you say, the GPU is super sensitive about the dongle. Thanks again for your help.

Updating EFI to 085 and macOS to Ventura today in hopes of getting this thread current. Standby.

Back