Contribute
Register

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4 + i7-12700K + AMD RX 580

I'm glad you stuck it out! I wonder if changing to Secure Model helped. This Bios is a bit of a head scratcher. I'll be buying new NVME drives this summer and can try to figure it out as well then.

Dummy check, you have CNVI enabled in Bios and Airportbrcmfixup disabled in EFI?

I'm glad you stuck it out! I wonder if changing to Secure Model helped. This Bios is a bit of a head scratcher. I'll be buying new NVME drives this summer and can try to figure it out as well then.
I modified something...Trusted Computing for sure.
Secure Boot Maybe...at the beginning I disabled it.
Please let me know if Ethernet and WiFi are supposed to work.
Thanks a lot!!

I modified something...Trusted Computing for sure.
Secure Boot Maybe...at the beginning I disabled it.
Please let me know if Ethernet and WiFi are supposed to work.
Thanks a lot!!
This is how we've got Ethernet going. It'll be under RP03 in IOReg.

@danofun did you get your Intel Wifi working?
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 2.18.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 2.20.00 PM.png

With that DeviceProperties entry the EFI doesn't boot...this is one of the reasons it was not booting.
I'm in Big Sur.
Hmm, that's a weird one for me. Another dummy check, do you have it enabled in bios as well? Mine is working in both Big Sur and Monterey.

Wanna try making sure the PCI address is the same for you?

Last edited:
With that DeviceProperties entry the EFI doesn't boot...this is one of the reasons it was not booting.
I'm in Big Sur.
I'm wondering if disabling CPUFriend during the install process will help. I've come across a few notes here and there about that.

Pro Tools Performance with 12700k + Apollo x16 + Apollo Twin

Just wanted to let you know what I've observed while running sessions over the last few weeks. One was a recording session and the others are mixing and mastering larger sessions.

• Correct Frequency Vectors are a massive help. You paid for this CPU so get all you can from it. Also, stability trumps speed. For pro audio there's little reason to overclock.
  • Disabling E-Cores prevents UAD (Apollo) from having dropouts. I don't know why but when using both interfaces (Twin and x16) it would toggle sample rates seemingly randomly. The only fix was to disable E-Cores. While Pro Tools can opt out of using Turbo and run fine, UAD is on its own and I suspect that its related and the E-Cores trip it up.
  • The single core speed of the 12700k mixed with 16 threads is a no-brainer. This thing kicks butt and allows you to work without pauses.
  • Pro Tools will be Pro Tools. It's gonna crash sometimes. Thats-Life.recovered.ptx and its more likely a plugin or slow drive tripping you up. People dog on the program but its almost always something else. That or someone on a core duo with 1500 cracked plugins wondering why they cant virtually recreate a 30 piece orchestra.

Note: This is about Pro Tools and UAD. Not about Reaper, Logic, Cubase, etc... They're all lovely DAWs.

Pro Tools Performance with 12700k + Apollo x16 + Apollo Twin

Just wanted to let you know what I've observed while running sessions over the last few weeks. One was a recording session and the others are mixing and mastering larger sessions.

• Correct Frequency Vectors are a massive help. You paid for this CPU so get all you can from it. Also, stability trumps speed. For pro audio there's little reason to overclock.
  • Disabling E-Cores prevents UAD (Apollo) from having dropouts. I don't know why but when using both interfaces (Twin and x16) it would toggle sample rates seemingly randomly. The only fix was to disable E-Cores. While Pro Tools can opt out of using Turbo and run fine, UAD is on its own and I suspect that its related and the E-Cores trip it up.
  • The single core speed of the 12700k mixed with 16 threads is a no-brainer. This thing kicks butt and allows you to work without pauses.
  • Pro Tools will be Pro Tools. It's gonna crash sometimes. Thats-Life.recovered.ptx and its more likely a plugin or slow drive tripping you up. People dog on the program but its almost always something else. That or someone on a core duo with 1500 cracked plugins wondering why they cant virtually recreate a 30 piece orchestra.

Note: This is about Pro Tools and UAD. Not about Reaper, Logic, Cubase, etc... They're all lovely DAWs.

NorthAmTransAm do u disable E-core with BIOS or opencore?​

A redundant yet hopefully easy enough guide to creating a macOS Monterey installer for reference
Note: This guide is for creating a bootable USB installer for macOS from macOS. It's been done 100 times, but I'd like a place to point people using this thread who might not be familiar.

Grammar Note: I'm leaving periods outside of quotations to not cause any confusion.

Why?

I'm the type of person to read multiple guides so why not one more? This time I figured we'd go the less technical route. After all, the goal of this platform is use macOS so we're going to be use Apple features.

Step 1 - Obtaining macOS Monterey like normie.

Download macOS from the App Store by searching "macOS Monterey". When you see the OS in the search results simply select "view", then select "get", then click download at the prompt. This will open Software Update and begin downloading right away. It should take around 10-20 minutes depending on your network as it is over 12 gigs in size.

App Store Download.png

Step 2 - Quit that installer, we don't want that here.

Once the download is finished, the installer will open. We can simply press Command Q to quit the installer. It will prompt you once more, select quit.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 2.16.07 PM.png

Step 3 - Flash drive formatting using Disk Utility, like an adult.

We need to format our flash drive. I'm using a USB-C/A SanDisk for this but you can use anything over 16GB in size. Using spotlight (Command Spacebar) type in "Disk Utility" and press enter.

Disk Utility Spotlight.png
Once in Disk Utility, press Command 2 so we can see a full device tree for each drive we have connected. Once you've carefully identified your flash drive, right click the parent (top of the tree) and select Erase. You'll be prompted to erase the drive here. Please copy my settings in the picture below. And yes, please name the drive "MyVolume" exactly.

MyVolume.png

Step 4 - Creating the installer using Terminal. C/P, password, press Y.

Using Apple's support pages for creating a bootable drive is on brand for this post so we'll be doing that. Open Terminal using Spotlight by pressing Command Spacebar and typing "Terminal" and pressing enter. Copy and paste the code below.

Code:
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Monterey.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Note: Are you making an installer for another version of macOS? Check out the source for this section:

You'll be prompted for a password in Terminal. It will not show you what you are typing but trust that it is being inputted and press Enter when done.

Then you'll be prompted with a "type Y for yes" situation as it will need to format the drive MyVolume. Type "Y" and press Enter. By the end of it Terminal will look like this and your flash drive on your desktop will be renamed "Install macOS Monterey". Good day.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 2.11.10 PM.png
I SAID GOOD DAY

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 1.56.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 1.56.37 PM.png
    457 KB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 1.56.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 1.56.37 PM.png
    457 KB · Views: 106
  • Installer.png
    Installer.png
    820.2 KB · Views: 95