Contribute
Register

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4 + i7-12700K + AMD RX 580

In order.

• The GPU was purchased used from a trusted seller.
  • Yes. Several times actually as I've been going back and forth with the 580.
  • I've used the same main 8 pin connector as the 580 but i've used two separate 6 pin connections as I had extras.

I'll have Windows up and running tomorrow and perhaps that will tell me something. Perhaps if I get into Windows then I can reset the bios or examine it at least.
I have tampered with many graphics cards and changed bios
To check the BIOS
Find the original BIOS from the (techpowerup) site
Extract your BIOS card using software (flash tools) (do not do this with GPUZ, it extracts incompletely)
Then compare both using the software (red bios editor).
Be sure to check whether your graphics RAM is Micron or Samsung
to find the right version to compare (gpuz)
Sorry if I interfered, but I have seen these problems several times for BIOS incompatibility or graphics RAM timing

These graphics cards usually work properly on Windows with a lower clock for gaming, but they are weak in some tasks and cause the software to crash and even the blue screen in Windows.

Just be very careful if you misplace the bios you might lose the card
If your graphics card has 2 bios, usually the silent version is tampered with and the other is healthy and ok
It is better to test both first

Last edited:
Thanks a lot @NorthAmTransAm
I was able to boot Hackintosh using your EFI
Everything looks great and smooth
I have 4 questions that would be great if you have time and can answer them
- The driver in which I installed Hackintosh does not have an EFI partition! I do not know why! I do it through flash boot (my ssd is wd 850)

- Should I get help from OpenIntelWifi to set up Wi-Fi and Bluetooth?(I searched a bit but I don't understand exactly how to use it)(where should I add config) does itlwm or AirportItlwm start both bluetooth and wifi?

- And how to disable the first (main pci e) slot of the motherboard? (If you remember, I wanted to use 3070 on Windows and 5700 on Mac)

-It shows me the inside of the 12-core Mac CPU, is this ok? Shouldn't 8 cores be active?

View attachment 567729View attachment 567730
Glad to hear you're up and running!

1. Missing EFI partition--I've actually never seen this. Wanna try this?

2. Intel Wifi--I dont have the wifi version but I've got two resources for you.
a. https://openintelwireless.github.io/General/Installation.html
b. @CaseySJ's builds usually have info on these. Top notch stuff. Also @danofun on this page managed to get theirs working as well.

3. Disabling Slot 1. I'll need some time on this. For now you could probably just leave your 3070 connected and macOS just wont see it.

4. Processor String--Open your Config and go to NVRAM. In one of the entries you'll see a string saying "3.6 GHz 12 Core..." Change that string to whatever you want!

As for the GPU tips I say thanks! I managed to boot windows with the 6600 XT no problem. I'll do some studying on how to return it to factory bios and will be very careful.

@CREEEP @CaseySJ An update for now:

Steps I've taken and what's next.

1. Update bios. I've had issues with the RX 580 drawing the actual BIOS GUI, but with the 6600 XT it has no issue. Also, Secure Boot is enabled by default. Lesson learned...disable it or you wont see macOS in Boot Picker nor will you see a Boot Picker GUI. This bios is great, fast.

2. Using two separate power cables for the 6 and 8 pin connectors.

3. Boot Windows through OpenCore.

Prior to these changes I could intermittently get into Windows. Post, I seem to be able to get into it no problem. I'll stress this after work this evening or in the morning.

I was in and out of Windows then booted into macOS and I saw the verbose output load the amd driver. So, im in for now and am going to work on It all day. My goals are:

1. Find out if loading into Windows then macOS is a cheap workaround while testing.
  2. Find out if the VBIOS is tampered with. If so, find original. Got a lot to learn here.
  3. Once sorted, test restart, shutdown, improper shutdown.

@CREEEP

Can you give send me copy of your IOReg please?

Glad to hear you're up and running!

1. Missing EFI partition--I've actually never seen this. Wanna try this?

2. Intel Wifi--I dont have the wifi version but I've got two resources for you.
a. https://openintelwireless.github.io/General/Installation.html
b. @CaseySJ's builds usually have info on these. Top notch stuff. Also @danofun on this page managed to get theirs working as well.

3. Disabling Slot 1. I'll need some time on this. For now you could probably just leave your 3070 connected and macOS just wont see it.

4. Processor String--Open your Config and go to NVRAM. In one of the entries you'll see a string saying "3.6 GHz 12 Core..." Change that string to whatever you want!

As for the GPU tips I say thanks! I managed to boot windows with the 6600 XT no problem. I'll do some studying on how to return it to factory bios and will be very careful.
Thank you very much, I will definitely test it soon

@CREEEP @CaseySJ An update for now:

Steps I've taken and what's next.

1. Update bios. I've had issues with the 580 drawing the actual Bios GUI but with the 6600 XT it has no issue. Also, Secure Boot is enabled by default. Lesson learned...disable it or you wont see macOS in Boot Picker nor will you see a Boot Picker GUI. This bios is great, fast.

2. Using two separate power cables for the 6 and 8 pin connectors.

3. Boot Windows through OpenCore.

Prior to these changes I could intermittently get into Windows. Post, I seem to be able to get into it no problem. I'll stress this after work this evening or in the morning.

I was in and out of Windows then booted into macOS and I saw the verbose output load the amd driver. So, im in for now and am going to work on It all day. My goals are:

1. Find out if loading into Windows then macOS is a cheap workaround while testing.
  2. Find out if the VBIOS is tampered with. If so, find original. Got a lot to learn here.
  3. Once sorted, test restart, shutdown, improper shutdown.
Yes, I started Windows through Opencore (I haven't tested it completely yet, but I haven't seen any problems so far)
The separation of graphics cables is very important when there is a lot of pressure on the graphics, and it completely depends on the type of graphics card power supply circuit.
In general, an 8-pin cable also feeds the card, and in fact, the 6-pin cable is for dividing the pressure, but maybe the Mac cannot use the card well, and as a result, it puts more pressure on the card (power limit or timing in BIOS).
You can do a very easy task in the first step
Extract the BIOS with GPUZ (do not use this BIOS to reset or change, just for testing)

gpuz-overclocking.jpg

Open the BIOS using red bios editor and check the timing
If the last 3 timings are the same, the BIOS must be changed

red-bios-editor-memory-type.jpeg

Yes, of course, but I don't know what it is and how I should do it:?:
No worries. Google "IOReg Github" and download it from there. It's a fun way to view how our systems are structured. Very important for setting up the hackintosh and its add ons.

Open it, do a save as, zip it, send here! I just want to see where your GPU is sitting. I suspect the 3070 is on PEG0 and the 6600 is on PEG1.

And thank you so much for the info on the graphics card. Thats huge, I will report back soon.

No worries. Google "IOReg Github" and download it from there. It's a fun way to view how our systems are structured. Very important for setting up the hackintosh and its add ons.

Open it, do a save as, zip it, send here! I just want to see where your GPU is sitting. I suspect the 3070 is on PEG0 and the 6600 is on PEG1.

And thank you so much for the info on the graphics card. Thats huge, I will report back soon.
I got it
I will try to send it to you tonight
I haven't installed the 3070 yet
As you recommended before, I put 5700 on the main slot to cleanly install Hackintosh with it for now

@CaseySJ @CREEEP alrighty, I think I'm sending it back and will try again in the future. Theres nothing wrong with the 580 after all, I just wanted to be a little more up to date.

@CaseySJ @CREEEP alrighty, I think I'm sending it back and will try again in the future. Theres nothing wrong with the 580 after all, I just wanted to be a little more up to date.
I think I have a problem similar to yours
-------------------------------
Well, I think I messed up

Before I want to get "IOReg Github".

Out of curiosity, I moved the graphics card to the second slot, and Hackintosh got stuck in a boot loop
(I installed Hackintosh again without any problems and it was installed easily, but it does not go into Mac OS when the graphics is on the second slot)
When the monitor is connected to 5700, after some boot entries, the screen turns black and restarts

photo_2023-06-14 16.55.51.jpeg

Then I connected the 3070 to the first slot
But when I connect the monitor to the 3070 (when booting to MacOS), I see that the boot entries freeze on this part and then restart.

photo_2023-06-14 16.56.06.jpeg

Of course, I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not

Back