Contribute
Register

MSI PRO Z690 A DDR4 + i7-12700K + AMD RX 580

Oh, have you disabled E-Cores in your BIOS settings perhaps? Also make sure that Intel Speed Shift is set to Enabled as opposed to Auto. This was a big one.

I tested geekbench on Windows and get similar score, so I'm fine with the result for now. I don't want to disable E core on this processor, since this is also a major improvement on this generation (4 -> 8 cores)

However I still figuring out how to remove "Unknown CPU" on About page.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2565-12-12 at 14.32.43.png
    Screenshot 2565-12-12 at 14.32.43.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 34
from what I've seen even if we managed to make it work we lose almost 25% of performance when returning from standby. following the complete restart we find the initial performance... I don't have the latest version of opencore but I doubt that it will change anything!

In that case, no thank you :) I'm sure we could make read some logs and see whats not firing. Perhaps next weekend.

I tested geekbench on Windows and get similar score, so I'm fine with the result for now. I don't want to disable E core on this processor, since this is also a major improvement on this generation (4 -> 8 cores)

However I still figuring out how to remove "Unknown CPU" on About page.
Actually, does your CPU read correctly in About This Mac and then after restart it says "unknown"?

If so, can you see if this persist with Hibernation Fixup?

Last edited:
The Samsung drive would make a great session drive for Pro Tools if I got a different boot drive
The 980 Pros are one of the few drives that still use MLC NAND. That's going to be the drive that holds up best with large amounts of writing. If I needed a scratch drive, that would be my first choice. The 1TB models are selling for $99.99 at Newegg. That's a really great deal. Nobody beats Samsung in the durability category. Too bad that TRIM is broken when used as a MacOS boot drive.

SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c Samsung V-NAND 3-bit MLC

from what I've seen even if we managed to make it work we lose almost 25% of performance when returning from standby. following the complete restart we find the initial performance... I don't have the latest version of opencore but I doubt that it will change anything!
Check your CPU temperatures using Intel Power Gadget when running a benchmark after sleep. I just noticed that my CPU cooler does not increase fan speed under load after the first sleep. That's not good! Temps hit 100C, and it throttles.

The 980 Pros are one of the few drives that still use MLC NAND. That's going to be the drive that holds up best with large amounts of writing. If I needed a scratch drive, that would be my first choice. The 1TB models are selling for $99.99 at Newegg. That's a really great deal. Nobody beats Samsung in the durability category. Too bad that TRIM is broken when used as a MacOS boot drive.

SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c Samsung V-NAND 3-bit MLC

99 bucks is an insane deal. Damn you. Alright that'll be the move then.

Alright that'll be the move then.
Looks like they are closing them out to make room for the faster/newer 990 models. I'd still opt for the 980 Pro. Just don't install macOS on it, you know why it should be avoided. WD Black SN850(X) is the ideal macOS Boot Drive choice.

990 Pro models sell for the normal $170 per 1TB that Samsung usually gets. Best performance = highest price.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Last edited:
It seems to work now, running update to 13.1 from within System Settings
Just did the same. For the first time in a long while the Apple logo during boot is the correct size, weird.

Hi. I'm looking to setup a similar hackintosh with MSI PRO Z690 A + AMD RX 580, but with an i5-12600K CPU - should the setup be pretty much the same? Is this thread and EFI a good starting point for me? Thanks!

Back