Graphics
GT 420M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I am trying to install Snow Leopard on my computer and i am using a Retail DVD. But every time after i swap the DVD's and try to boot SL i get the Still Waiting for root device error.

My Setup
i5-750
Msi-P55-GD65
LG Sata DVD super drive (Bought it today for this reason)
9600GT.

I have tried these two Boot cd's.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1073
and
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=197&p=1246#p1246

when i try -x it get the same error.

Can i please get some help :)

+1, same issue. but i'm at school right now and can't do anything till later tonight. according to another post have you tried?...
2. Use a SATA CD/DVD drive and SATA hard drive
3. Update your motherboard to the latest BIOS version available
4. Physically remove any extra RAM sticks so that your system has a total of no more than 4GB of RAM
5. Use only 1 graphics card in the 1st PCIe slot with 1 monitor plugged in.
6. Remove any USB peripherals besides keyboard and mouse.
7. Remove any hard drives besides the blank drive being used for OS X
8. Remove any PCI cards besides graphics- they may not be Mac compatible
9. Set BIOS to Optimized Defaults, then set SATA to AHCI mode and HPET to 64-bit
10. Set Boot Priority to boot from CD/DVD drive, then hard drive

base on these trouble shooting tips, i currently have a wifi card pci plugged in, so see if you have any pci plugged in that shouldn't be there. and i also have 2 other hard drive plugged in, see if you could disconnect those. and then check ur bios setting?

Do you have this MoBo?
I'll give those points a try, i dont know where my AHCI comes in my BIOS, Its only in the Raid Menu is that the same one?

Thanks alot dude its working now .....Installing as i type!!! :)

yes i have the same motherboard, and what did you do to get it working lol cause i had the same problem...unhook the harddrives ? or bios settings?

which boot did you use?

Oh so what i did was:-
1.Unplugged all extra Drives
2.Unplugged all the Usb's
3.In bios every where i could see AHCI i enabled it. :lol:
4.HPET was enabled.
5.Booted and it worked.

I have encountered a different problem now :oops: I edited the retail DVD to fit onto a Single layered DVD and that dosent work. So need to run out and buy some Dual Layered DVD...Sadly its 1 a.m!!!! :banghead:

I used this Boot cd: tonymacx86-iBootCD-test2.iso
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=197
its under the Boot CD Repository.

Which ISO did you use? I'm trying to install on a similar MSI P55-GD55 (just less SATA and Ethernet) I've tried The universal iso, the MSI ISO. and just get the boot screen, put in the Snow Leopard DVD, F5, -x, then it scrolls, then i get panic.

tried Empire EFI and get "acpi table not found: dsdt.aml" then

unable to find driver for this platform: \ "ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1388

I DLed the MSI P55-CD53 DSDT.aml (which is similar) but can't figure how to put it into one of the ISOs. I mounted it with PowerISO. Even extracted it to a ISB thumbdrive, put the DSDT in the Extras folder, Set Bios to start from USB, but it doesn't run from it. I'm not clear how to boot from a USB. (I only have Win 7 at the moment).

Any ideas?

Max

Miami

disneytoy said:
Which ISO did you use? I'm trying to install on a similar MSI P55-GD55 (just less SATA and Ethernet) I've tried The universal iso, the MSI ISO. and just get the boot screen, put in the Snow Leopard DVD, F5, -x, then it scrolls, then i get panic.

tried Empire EFI and get "acpi table not found: dsdt.aml" then

unable to find driver for this platform: \ "ACPI\".\n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1486.2.11/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1388

I DLed the MSI P55-CD53 DSDT.aml (which is similar) but can't figure how to put it into one of the ISOs. I mounted it with PowerISO. Even extracted it to a ISB thumbdrive, put the DSDT in the Extras folder, Set Bios to start from USB, but it doesn't run from it. I'm not clear how to boot from a USB. (I only have Win 7 at the moment).

Any ideas?

Max

Miami
I used the Boot Cd mentioned above.
Why dont you try what thaialism said above i.e removing extra stuff and also changing some settings.
Have you tried burning another DVD?
For the DSDT i think you need a mac running for that.

P.s- Can we get a full list of your specs?

I was getting that same error. I also got the waiting on root device. One day I put the default iBoot in and it worked. Don't know why. Just make sure everything is unplugged, except keyboard and ouse. I would also make sure your sata drive is in the first or second sata port. That's one change I made.

i've managed to install and now currently working on getting all the drivers and etc... installed, as soon as i'm finished i'll try to compile a mini guilde of how i did it on the
p55-gd65 from msi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back