Contribute
Register

MSI GT72 6QD Dominator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having the same laptop as yours, GT72 6QD Dominator G. Can we help each other to work around for this laptop, I'm still finding one.

Already install Mac into my ssd drive, but I having a common issue that MSI BIOS seems doesn't support boot from SATA

What doesn't work:
-Boot from HDD. Have to have clover USB stick (or mess with windows' EFI partition, AT YOUR OWN RISK)
BIOS doesn't support boot from SATA HDD EFI (see attached picture for boot options. Even after clover install on HDD, it doesn't show up in BIOS).
-Failed Optimus Driverless Nvidia GTX 1060!! :(

I still keep finding the solution for this, but no hope, it's already been 3 days..

Oh btw, GT72 6QD is NOT OPTIMUS, I'm really sure about that because there was a MSI support answer me that question. It has a dedicated physical button to switch between intel and Nvidia, and the Nvidia panels doesn't have options about OPTIMUS. I hope that will help.

If you make any further progress, please let me know.

I no longer have this laptop. I am pretty sure the one I had was Optimus.. But even if it is GTX 1060 dedicated, it is NOT supported by macOS 10.12.3/4

I think you can create clover EFI partition on HDD and boot using that.

I no longer have this laptop. I am pretty sure the one I had was Optimus.. But even if it is GTX 1060 dedicated, it is NOT supported by macOS 10.12.3/4

So That is mean I can create a installation drive and then install mac into that same drive?

Did you experience any conflict?

Oh mine is d-gpu GTX 970M, not 1060, Im not sure if it is supported or not.

And GT series is a little bit different from GE, so I think both of us are correct.

So That is mean I can create a installation drive and then install mac into that same drive?

And GT series is a little bit different from GE, so I think both of us are correct.
You can use your Intel HD Graphics instead of the Nvidia D-GPU.
You can disable your Nvidia cards via ACPI files or in Clover Bootloader.
But keep in mind that when you disable it with Clover it still use energy from your battery.

Ow, I see.
Looking at specs, you do have dedicated 970m GPU without Intel.
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72-6QD-Dominator-G.html#hero-specification

Good news - you can make 970m work with Nvidia Web Drivers.
I have done so for 980m/980 in few of my hackbook pro builds.

@HorchaudiBMW I have done 2 laptops with dedicated GPU - and they are working w/full acceleration. Intel GPU is disabled by manufacturer. Works great!
This is similar case to what I have written in my ASUS ROG G701VO-CS74K post.

@KhoaNguyen12345 Couple questions:
-Which one do you have: 4K or FullHD screen?
-Does SD card reader work in macOS?
-Webcam?

For booting, you can have very small USB3 thumbnail drive and use that to boot into macOS.

Last edited:
Ow, I see.
Looking at specs, you do have dedicated 970m GPU without Intel.
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72-6QD-Dominator-G.html#hero-specification

Good news - you can make 970m work with Nvidia Web Drivers.
I have done so for 980m/980 in few of my hackbook pro builds.

@HorchaudiBMW I have done 2 laptops with dedicated GPU - and they are working w/full acceleration. Intel GPU is disabled by manufacturer. Works great!
This is similar case to what I have written in my ASUS ROG G701VO-CS74K post.

@KhoaNguyen12345 Couple questions:
-Which one do you have: 4K or FullHD screen?
-Does SD card reader work in macOS?
-Webcam?

For booting, you can have very small USB3 thumbnail drive and use that to boot into macOS.

Actually, I haven't been able to boot to my SSD.

After creating the bootable USB, I installed it using this guide in #1 and #2 comments: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

However, when I reach to stage 2 of #2, which is finishing installing mac to the ssd_drive, I was not able to see anything in clover boot beside the USB installer itself. I have seen similar problem reported in your's thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pro-026-semi-success-work-in-progress.217274/

I wonder how can you fix that?

After this, if I have time, I will create a guide for those who have MSI laptop like me, because it seems like its BIOS is a little bit different than other laptops.

Actually, I haven't been able to boot to my SSD.

After creating the bootable USB, I installed it using this guide in #1 and #2 comments: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

However, when I reach to stage 2 of #2, which is finishing installing mac to the ssd_drive, I was not able to see anything in clover boot beside the USB installer itself. I have seen similar problem reported in your's thread: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pro-026-semi-success-work-in-progress.217274/

I wonder how can you fix that?

After this, if I have time, I will create a guide for those who have MSI laptop like me, because it seems like its BIOS is a little bit different than other laptops.

You are probably not using the correct version of Clover.
Current version is r4049 on sourceforge.

You are probably not using the correct version of Clover.
Current version is r4049 on sourceforge.
Several quick question:

Seriously, I don't know if my laptop sata controller is unsupported controller or not. So I don't know if I need sata-100--xxxx.kext or not

Several quick question:

Seriously, I don't know if my laptop sata controller is unsupported controller or not. So I don't know if I need sata-100--xxxx.kext or not

Your laptop is Skylake. The only mobile chipset for Skylake CPUs is 100-series.
Therefore you need SATA-100-series-unsupported.kext.

Thank you.
As mentioned in @emdirector comments, Am I able to create an installation boot ssd drive, and then install macOS into that same drive also? Wwhich mean I can do everything with only one drive for two purposes
How is it possible? Could you confirm and help me with that?
Thanks @RehabMan , you help me so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back