CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 + RTX 2060
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
I'm stuck no matter what I try. I have a laptop almost identical to most posts in this thread, mine is a MSI P65 9SE (the "creator" version of the GS65, but same hardware).
Follow my guide on Github here, or you can wait until I upload it here.

Motherboard
MSI MS-16Q4-Clover
CPU
i7 9750H / HM370
Graphics
UHD 630 + RTX 2060, 3840x2160
Awesome, it worked right away (tried with Catalina directly), thanks a lot !

However a couple things were confusing in your guide, it would be worth clarifying/improving:

Installing Clover:

• I suggest to mention every version that you use for reference (Mojave/Catalina version, Clover version, kexts version) as things can change at any point in the future and become incompatible.
  • The list of kexts you link at this step does not match what's in your repo, that was confusing. For instance there were more kexts in your repo than described here at this step, and USBInjectAll was not in your repo (replaced by USB Ports ?).
    At this point in the guide as I wasn't sure I just copy/pasted the content of your repo in my CLOVER folder (erasing its content first).

Building the installer:

Is there a technical reason to rename "Install macOS Catalina" to install_osx ? Or is it just for consistency with the rest of your instructions ?

Installation:

A problem here is that you chose to use the "minimal-dark" theme as the default of your plist: this makes it very hard to follow the rest of your guide, as this theme does not show any text on screen. So you can't know the name of your drives, and that's quite important to properly follow the rest of the Installation instructions, as more drives appears along the way.
Because of that, I accidentally restarted the installation from scratch after the first reboot.
I now have 4 "mac" drives but not sure what they are (only the last is the real drive where macOS is installed - first is probably the original USB drive. Not sure what are the second and third).

Post-Installation:

I did not need to apply any of your fixes to have brightness keys/audio/battery status/usb/mouse working properly - but I still boot from my USB drive containing your whole repo, is it because of that ?

Speaking of which, it'd be nice to include an easy step by step to also install Clover on the drive where macOS was installed (the linked one seems a bit long and complicated). Currently exploring options to do that...

---

Anyway I'm quite happy with my setup now, as I've managed to keep it fully external : I wanted to keep the original Windows install, and not have to open the laptop to add a drive (it's pretty complicated with the GS65/P65).
So I bought a 512GB NVME SSD drive and an USB 3.1 Gen 2 interface, and installed Catalina on it. macOS is as fast as if it was installed on an internal SSD :)

with a bit of customization... :

Last edited:
Motherboard
MSI GS65 8SE
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 + RTX 2060
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
  • I suggest to mention every version that you use for reference (Mojave/Catalina version, Clover version, kexts version) as things can change at any point in the future and become incompatible.
I didn't mention the version of the kext because the link sends you to the most recent version of the kext. It's recommended to update to the latest version of the kext.

The list of kexts you link at this step does not match what's in your repo, that was confusing. For instance there were more kexts in your repo than described here at this step, and USBInjectAll was not in your repo (replaced by USB Ports ?).
Those kexts are essential to boot the installer. The kext in my repo have the kexts I described in "Installing Clover" and "Post Installation" kexts. You can see after "Post Installation" that there are other kext you might want to install (since it fixes some issues).
Is there a technical reason to rename "Install macOS Catalina" to install_osx ? Or is it just for consistency with the rest of your instructions ?
Not necessary. I just got that from Rehabman's laptop guide.

I did not need to apply any of your fixes to have brightness keys/audio/battery status/usb/mouse working properly - but I still boot from my USB drive containing your whole repo, is it because of that ?
Yup. It was because you copied the EFI folder from the repo, thus you didn't need to apply any fixes.

Ideally the EFI folder is for models that have the same CPU/GPU configuration as my MSI GE65 but I also include a Guide just in case if anyone was curious on how I installed macOS.

Motherboard
MSI GS65 8SE
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 + RTX 2060
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
A problem here is that you chose to use the "minimal-dark" theme as the default of your plist: this makes it very hard to follow the rest of your guide, as this theme does not show any text on screen. So you can't know the name of your drives, and that's quite important to properly follow the rest of the Installation instructions, as more drives appears along the way.
You can change the theme by editing your config.plist in GUI->Themes. I will change it in the next release.

Motherboard
MSI MS-16Q4-Clover
CPU
i7 9750H / HM370
Graphics
UHD 630 + RTX 2060, 3840x2160
Ah ok, the guide is more a general tutorial than GS65 specific - makes sense then.

Motherboard
MSI GS65 8SE
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630 + RTX 2060
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android
Ah ok, the guide is more a general tutorial than GS65 specific - makes sense then.
I tried making it a more general tutorial for MSI laptops but I was using my computer as an example but each computer is slightly different

Motherboard
MSI gs65 8sf
CPU
I7 8750h
Graphics
Rtx 2070
Here is an updated Clover setup with mostly everything working. I did not change the wifi card, so I did not test that. DGPU not working, not currently supported. but is disabled using SSDT-DDGPU
Sleep works fine with the occasional black screen on wake. Yes backlight control has been implemented.
USB-C and Thunderbolt works but when in use, it will enable the DGPU
that's it enjoy. all required files are attached.
Thank you so much for your EFI, using it I was able to put os x mojave the first time on my gs65 8sf
but I had some difficulties that I could not solve; dGPU is working constantly, that is, the GPU indicator is constantly on orange, there are thoughts why your patch did not work and did not disable dGPU?
sorry for my english, translated using google

Motherboard
MSI GS75 9SG
CPU
i7-9750H
Graphics
RTX 2080
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
I tried making it a more general tutorial for MSI laptops but I was using my computer as an example but each computer is slightly different
@e12350, I have adopted your EFI folder and I'm quite happy with the results. Just one question: is there any way at all to get an external monitor working either through the HDMI or Thunderbolt 3 port? This is the only one remaining frustration I have with this otherwise perfect hackintosh.