Contribute
Register

MSI GS63VR 7RF Stealth Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick status update:
Working:
- powermanagement
- batterystatus ( I think, don't know how to check if everything is 100% ok )
- ethernet
- gfx (intel hd630)
- all usb-ports (including the usb-c) > worked out of the box (
- ps2 mouse & keyboard using the VoodooPS2Controller

Not working:
- disabling nvidia card
- audio
- wifi/bluetooth (need to swap card for this)

not working & no (good) solution yet:
- display-port/hdmi > hooked directly onto the nvidia gtx1060, so that's a no go as long as there are no drivers for this.
- trackpad gestures > no trackpad in system pref, and no 2 finger scrolling etc. The VoodooPS2-kext does the main work, but it's a Elan trackpad. I did try that one driver (forgot the devvers name) but it was quite buggy, so currently i will be using it as a simple trackpad or use a external mouse)

I can use some help with the following subjects:
audio: I did read trough various tutorials, but couldn't comprehend the guides suggested in the laptop FAQ. So I'll probably need to revisit them. I ended up using this guide: https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALC_guides/blob/master/Realtek ALC AppleHDA.pdf but so far no success. The os does now recognize what looks to be the correct hardware but is unable to output any sound. Could this also be a EAPD causing this?(I don't know if a have one), but if read the FAQ correctly then the audio should work, and should only fail after sleep? So I'm really wondering how I can check what's the real issue here.

Disabling the discrete GFX: to gain more batterylife & lower fan-noise I would really love to disable the nvidia graphics while in OSX but & I tried following Rehabman's guide, but I think my understanding of the SSDT files is too minimal to succesfully patch those files. The SSDT's mentioned in the guide don't match the functionality I have, I do have a list of what is aprox. mentioned in the SSDT files, but then I still don't know what files I should patch with which patches. I have given it a couple of tries, but I keep ending up with files that are not able to compile because certain references don't match any longer etc...

Batterystatus: I patched the DSTD-file following rehabman's guide but there is one line inside my DSDT and I don't really know if this needs to be editted. And if so, how I should approach it.
I have 2 OperationRegions which have the "EmbeddedControl" word in them. The second one had some 16bit items, and I have managed to split those into 8-bit ones. But in that first block, every item is 8bit (or less) except 1, which is 264 bits. If I do a search for its identifier, it gets mentioned a lot, and not just in the simple store-code blocks as mentioned in the guide. I do however have a feeling that the battery-status is working correctly, but I don't know how I can check this and be absolutely 100% sure that it's working correctly. I did check just by rebooting into windows and comparing battery-levels, and there is a slight difference: +- 5% less battery inside windows, but I don't know how correct these value's truly are.

Attachments

• msi-gs63vr-7rf-problemreporting.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 195
I can use some help with the following subjects:
audio: I did read trough various tutorials, but couldn't comprehend the guides suggested in the laptop FAQ. So I'll probably need to revisit them. I ended up using this guide: https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALC_guides/blob/master/Realtek ALC AppleHDA.pdf but so far no success. The os does now recognize what looks to be the correct hardware but is unable to output any sound. Could this also be a EAPD causing this?(I don't know if a have one), but if read the FAQ correctly then the audio should work, and should only fail after sleep? So I'm really wondering how I can check what's the real issue here.

You probably need CodecCommander.kext. Problem may manifest itself prior to sleep/wake... depends on how the AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver verbs are coded.

Disabling the discrete GFX: to gain more batterylife & lower fan-noise I would really love to disable the nvidia graphics while in OSX but & I tried following Rehabman's guide, but I think my understanding of the SSDT files is too minimal to succesfully patch those files. The SSDT's mentioned in the guide don't match the functionality I have, I do have a list of what is aprox. mentioned in the SSDT files, but then I still don't know what files I should patch with which patches. I have given it a couple of tries, but I keep ending up with files that are not able to compile because certain references don't match any longer etc...

There is nothing unusual in your files.
_OFF is in SSDT-15 at scope _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.
There is no _INI at that scope, so you simply add one that calls _OFF (can be added quite simply to SSDT-15, just below _OFF.

Batterystatus: I patched the DSTD-file following rehabman's guide but there is one line inside my DSDT and I don't really know if this needs to be editted. And if so, how I should approach it.
I have 2 OperationRegions which have the "EmbeddedControl" word in them. The second one had some 16bit items, and I have managed to split those into 8-bit ones. But in that first block, every item is 8bit (or less) except 1, which is 264 bits. If I do a search for its identifier, it gets mentioned a lot, and not just in the simple store-code blocks as mentioned in the guide. I do however have a feeling that the battery-status is working correctly, but I don't know how I can check this and be absolutely 100% sure that it's working correctly. I did check just by rebooting into windows and comparing battery-levels, and there is a slight difference: +- 5% less battery inside windows, but I don't know how correct these value's truly are.

The SMD0 in at _SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC is not referenced.

There is nothing unusual in your files.
_OFF is in SSDT-15 at scope _SB.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.
There is no _INI at that scope, so you simply add one that calls _OFF (can be added quite simply to SSDT-15, just below _OFF.

So adding the following just below the _OFF method should do the trick?
Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized) // _INI: Initialize
{
_OFF()
}​

How can I check if the code really worked? Or do I just listen/feel if my laptop is running cooler/quiter?

The SMD0 in at _SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC is not referenced.
So I don't need to worry about this I guess?

I'm still fiddleing with the audio, but I'll come back on that one later.

By the way, if you like I've attached my patch for the battery status. If the Graphics one is OK as well you can add that one as well to your repo. I'm not very good at REGEXes so, forgive me but I don't have a regex for the gfx-fix.

Attachments

• MSI-gs63vr-7rf.battery.patch.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 139
So adding the following just below the _OFF method should do the trick?
Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized) // _INI: Initialize
{
_OFF()
}​

How can I check if the code really worked? Or do I just listen/feel if my laptop is running cooler/quiter?

Check in ioreg and System Information to see if the graphics device is on the PCIe bus or not...

So I don't need to worry about this I guess?

Correct. Rename it to SMDX and you'll see that it is not referenced.

By the way, if you like I've attached my patch for the battery status. If the Graphics one is OK as well you can add that one as well to your repo. I'm not very good at REGEXes so, forgive me but I don't have a regex for the gfx-fix.

See battery patching guide, post #1, "Contributing".

See battery patching guide, post #1, "Contributing".
I will post it there later today/tomorrow.
....patch along with information about your computer....
Which information do you expect here, just laptop model or really more in depth specs (cpu/gfx/display-resolution/mem/hd/....)?

I will post it there later today/tomorrow.

Which information do you expect here, just laptop model or really more in depth specs (cpu/gfx/display-resolution/mem/hd/....)?

I need laptop make/model, native DSDT (to verify the patch correctness), and the patch.

StijnD, Very good job.:thumbup:
My old Y580 is still pretty good like HackBook, but i find something new and this laptop is not a bad variant.
Will be look for your work.

Very nice! I'm also looking to hackintosh the exact same model when mine arrives :) Any progress regarding audio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back