Contribute
Register

MSI GS63VR 7RF Stealth Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to the hackintosh community. I also have a MSI GS63VR 7RF. Is the clover configuration dialed in enough at this point that you would recommend using it in a daily-use environment?

I'm currently using this machine as a laptop for my professional work as a web developer 8 hours a day. And I haven't experienced many issue's to date. You can sometimes get the odd crash mainly when shutting down & disconnecting other external screens/devices at the same time, but I have never had it lock up & bricking itself. So in my opinion it's pretty stable as for now. I am using this machine as a windows-machine after hours, so It's a double boot.

For audio, i discovered I do have an unsupported Realtek codec, but the voodooHDA does work.... sort a: the headphones output is recognized as SPDIF and doesn't have any volume support :S The internal speakers do work & I haven't tested the line in, so I can't comment on that.

I haven't swapped out the wifi/bluetooth card yet, but I am planning to, if I can get my hands on a compatible one. I do need to do some more research on this.

As I have a bluetooth headphone, I just use a simple bluetooth dongle & a pair of bt-headphones & that fixes most of my issue's. The bluetooth is working fine with this dongle & the audio issue's are out of the way ;)

Battery-status I have yet to perfect, see this thread, as I have to patch the dtst file for this to work accurately, but I'm still working on that (if I have the time)

If you wan't to use an external display, do know that the dp & hdmi port are not working as of now, they are hooked directly onto the nvidia card. I did read today that the pascal (beta-)drivers were released, but I have yet to test them. I am currently using a usb-c to hdmi dongle, which is working, but it has its quirks. For example, I can only get it to connect properly when my headphones are connected & I'm outputting audio & even then it doesn't work all the time. So hopefully the pascal driver will circumvent this issue. The usb-c dongle's usb-port doesn't work at all, when using it in this configuration.

If you need any help setting the installer up or want some clover-files/settings, do request, I can post them if you like. I do want to note that I am not running sierra at the moment, I'm running el capitan as there were some issue's with sierra at the time of my install & haven't bothered updating yet, as there are no real features that I need to have for my work.

I'm currently using this machine as a laptop for my professional work as a web developer 8 hours a day. And I haven't experienced many issue's to date. You can sometimes get the odd crash mainly when shutting down & disconnecting other external screens/devices at the same time, but I have never had it lock up & bricking itself. So in my opinion it's pretty stable as for now. I am using this machine as a windows-machine after hours, so It's a double boot.

For audio, i discovered I do have an unsupported Realtek codec, but the voodooHDA does work.... sort a: the headphones output is recognized as SPDIF and doesn't have any volume support :S The internal speakers do work & I haven't tested the line in, so I can't comment on that.

I haven't swapped out the wifi/bluetooth card yet, but I am planning to, if I can get my hands on a compatible one. I do need to do some more research on this.

As I have a bluetooth headphone, I just use a simple bluetooth dongle & a pair of bt-headphones & that fixes most of my issue's. The bluetooth is working fine with this dongle & the audio issue's are out of the way ;)

Battery-status I have yet to perfect, see this thread, as I have to patch the dtst file for this to work accurately, but I'm still working on that (if I have the time)

If you wan't to use an external display, do know that the dp & hdmi port are not working as of now, they are hooked directly onto the nvidia card. I did read today that the pascal (beta-)drivers were released, but I have yet to test them. I am currently using a usb-c to hdmi dongle, which is working, but it has its quirks. For example, I can only get it to connect properly when my headphones are connected & I'm outputting audio & even then it doesn't work all the time. So hopefully the pascal driver will circumvent this issue. The usb-c dongle's usb-port doesn't work at all, when using it in this configuration.

If you need any help setting the installer up or want some clover-files/settings, do request, I can post them if you like. I do want to note that I am not running sierra at the moment, I'm running el capitan as there were some issue's with sierra at the time of my install & haven't bothered updating yet, as there are no real features that I need to have for my work.

Any update on the graphics card functionality since Nvidia released Mac 10xx drivers? My 2012 rMBP just died and I've been looking at this laptop whether or not it runs macOS.

Any update on the graphics card functionality since Nvidia released Mac 10xx drivers? My 2012 rMBP just died and I've been looking at this laptop whether or not it runs macOS.
As I'm currently not on sierra but on el-capitan, I'm not able to install this driver yet. I am looking into upgrading to sierra, but won't be doing it any time soon, as I don't want to risk to lose my computer for more then a day, because of my professional activities. Perhaps there are some other people here on the forum that have already installed the new driver on their laptop, I can't really imaging this laptop being that much different from other people with pascal nvidia cards...

Does anyone know if there's a guide upgrade guide for laptops going from el capitan to sierra? Or could i just follow the desktop guides on this? Or is it simpler to just reinstall all together?

Does anyone know if there's a guide upgrade guide for laptops going from el capitan to sierra? Or could i just follow the desktop guides on this? Or is it simpler to just reinstall all together?

If you installed correctly (eg. have correct and current Clover setup), you should be able to simply update from the App Store.

As I'm currently not on sierra but on el-capitan, I'm not able to install this driver yet. I am looking into upgrading to sierra, but won't be doing it any time soon, as I don't want to risk to lose my computer for more then a day, because of my professional activities. Perhaps there are some other people here on the forum that have already installed the new driver on their laptop, I can't really imaging this laptop being that much different from other people with pascal nvidia cards...
Oops, I missed that part. I hope your upgrade to Sierra goes well. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Oops, I missed that part. I hope your upgrade to Sierra goes well. I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress.
After a long day of tweaking I was able to install sierra finally. I was running a dual boot, without reinstalling win 10 but that wouldn't allow me to update my current mac osx setup because windows had a MSR & de macintosh hd wasn't te first partition etc etc. .. so i ended up backing it all up & just wiping the NVME SSD & repartitioning from an mac os installer. Restore my Mac Backup & updated from there. I'm currently working on fixing the graphics again, because for some reason my old setup no longer works to fix the intel hd630 gfx. I was able to install the geforce driver, but currently it's not working yet or it isn't used on desktop ... So I have to investigate further. But for my day-to-day work my prio is to fix the intel gfx asap. will report back here later, when I have some more/better news

Did some more research/googling but it didn't result in any fix for the igpu. I did remove the file disabling the nvidia card but it still won't use it or at least i can't select to use the nvidia-webdriver? it automatically reverts back to osx default graphics driver .... ? Does somebody have any idea's on this? An is it at all possible to have graphic switching on a hackintosh laptop? So should I invest time in fixing both or not? Because if i have to choose, I would off course go for the most power ...

Did some more research/googling but it didn't result in any fix for the igpu.

config_HD620.plist from the guide has the correct settings.
You also need FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext.
It is easy...
Read guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Don't forget about DVMT-prealloc requirements.

I did remove the file disabling the nvidia card but it still won't use it or at least i can't select to use the nvidia-webdriver? it automatically reverts back to osx default graphics driver .... ? Does somebody have any idea's on this? An is it at all possible to have graphic switching on a hackintosh laptop? So should I invest time in fixing both or not? Because if i have to choose, I would off course go for the most power ...

Nvidia not supported in Optimus configuration.
Read the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

config_HD620.plist from the guide has the correct settings.
You also need FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext.
It is easy...
Read guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Don't forget about DVMT-prealloc requirements.
Those are all in place. It is strange that in my previous setup, I had no issue's with the DVM-T pre-alloc. But now, if I check the system report, it does report only 31mb of ram for the iGPU, so I'm probably screwed on that one, as I have no options in my bios to alter this value(ad have no aspiration to tweak bios-images etc....) . I do find it strange that this value didn't bother my setup on 10.11.x? Is it at all possible that removing the windows-installation has anything to do with this .... ?

I forgot about that line in your faq, sry about that. How could I check if the nividia card is not routed via the intel igpu? and the webdrivers probably won't work until I disable the igpu, right? so i need to follow your guide on disabling that: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back