Graphics
HD 630
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
SE
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have successfully installed High Sierra on my MSI GL72M-7RDX, but I've seemingly stalled out on making progress on a few of the issues. I have some previous experience with Hackintosh builds, but this is the first that's seemingly a bit of a stretch compatibility-wise. I found a thread with a successful Sierra build and found someone with a GL62M-7DRX build on Reddit and was able to cobble things together to get a bootable system off the USB, but haven't been able to get it to boot off the internal drive EFI partition yet and now boots off the internal EFI. I exported my DSDT and SSDT files, but at this point my understanding of patching isn't great. I've done some reading on the process and did create a SSDT to disable the NVidia GPU, but I'm now using RehabMan's config_HD615_620_630_640_650_spoof.plist from his Laptop repo, but I'm totally lost as to what SSDTs I need to patch to get sleep wake working. This is the big one, as the laptop is almost useless if it doesn't wake from sleep.

GL72M 7RDX Specs
  • Core i7 7700HQ
  • Intel HD 630
  • GeForce® GTX 1050 with 2GB GDDR5
  • Intel® HM175 chipset
  • Realtek ALC898
Outstanding Issues
  • Wake from sleep results in black screen
  • Screen brightness
  • Webcam not working Used Macam to get cam to work
  • Audio
  • Wifi not working, though I ordered a DW1820A wifi card off eBay to replace it.
  • I'd love to get the NVidia GTX 1050 working, but that's secondary at this point. One of the above linked builds mentioned getting that working, though I know if I wanted to use Mojave I'm currently SOL. That was part of the reason I chose to install High Sierra.
If anyone might have any experience with getting this series of MSI laptop working any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have successfully installed High Sierra on my MSI GL72M-7RDX, but I've seemingly stalled out on making progress on a few of the issues. I have some previous experience with Hackintosh builds, but this is the first that's seemingly a bit of a stretch compatibility-wise. I found a thread with a successful Sierra build and found someone with a GL62M-7DRX build on Reddit and was able to cobble things together to get a bootable system off the USB, but haven't been able to get it to boot off the internal drive EFI partition yet. I exported my DSDT and SSDT files, but at this point my understanding of patching isn't great. I've done some reading on the process and did create a SSDT to disable the NVidia GPU, but I'm now using RehabMan's config_HD615_620_630_640_650_spoof.plist from his Laptop repo, but I'm totally lost as to what SSDTs I need to patch to get sleep wake working. This is the big one, as the laptop is almost useless if it doesn't wake from sleep.

Outstanding Issues
  • Screen brightness
  • Webcam not working
  • Wifi not working, though I ordered a DW1820A wifi card off eBay to replace it.
  • I'd love to get the NVidia GTX 1050 working, but that's secondary at this point. One of the above linked builds mentioned getting that working, though I know if I wanted to use Mojave I'm currently SOL. That was part of the reason I chose to install High Sierra.
If anyone might have any experience with getting this series of MSI laptop working any help would be appreciated.
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Motherboard
MS-1799 MSI GL72M UEFI Clover
CPU
i7 7700HQ
Graphics
GTX 1050 1920x1080
Mac
MacBook Pro
I too have a similar problem with my GL72M-7RDX. I'm not worried about the webcam or Wi-Fi at this point, but the issues of
  • Screen brightness
  • NVidia GTX 1050 working
Are the top priorities
Sierra 12.6
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
Core i7-2600K
Graphics
Intel HD 3000
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Motherboard
MSI GL72M 7RDX
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
SE
Mobile Phone
iOS
I too have a similar problem with my GL72M-7RDX. I'm not worried about the webcam or Wi-Fi at this point, but the issues of
  • Screen brightness
  • NVidia GTX 1050 working
Are the top priorities
Sierra 12.6
Any help would be appreciated.
Just saw this post @jeremymac. I'm working through my build on GitHub if you wanted to crib any of my setup and I'd love to connect if you make any progress on your end. My build is High Sierra. I did previously attempt running @gratebek's GL72M 7RDX build on Sierra, but it was pretty incomplete.

I haven't solved any of the issues you mentioned, but I have been trying. From other people's builds I've seen I believe getting the NVidia GTX 1050 working on pre-Mojave builds could be possible.

Motherboard
MSI GS60 6QE
CPU
i7 6700HQ
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
i have msi gs60 running 10.13.6 , only issue is sleep/wake is not working.. for your bluetooth issue put below kexts in ur clover kext others. also install BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext using kext manager and do terminal: sudo kextcache -i/
after reset it should work, if you have laggy connection do terminal step again

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext

Motherboard
MSI GL72M 7RDX
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
SE
Mobile Phone
iOS
i have msi gs60 running 10.13.6 , only issue is sleep/wake is not working.. for your bluetooth issue put below kexts in ur clover kext others. also install BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext using kext manager and do terminal: sudo kextcache -i/
after reset it should work, if you have laggy connection do terminal step again

BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
I feel like I'm pretty close with sleep wake. I do have it working, but it causes the screen to flicker. I followed [this thread](https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-black-screen-after-upgrade-to-high-sierra.237050/page-5#post-1637335), but kinda arrived at a dead end after trying all the byte 20 variants I could. Super frustrating.

Motherboard
MSI GL72M 7RDX
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
iMac
Classic Mac
SE
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just saw this post @jeremymac. I'm working through my build on GitHub if you wanted to crib any of my setup and I'd love to connect if you make any progress on your end. My build is High Sierra. I did previously attempt running @gratebek's GL72M 7RDX build on Sierra, but it was pretty incomplete.

I haven't solved any of the issues you mentioned, but I have been trying. From other people's builds I've seen I believe getting the NVidia GTX 1050 working on pre-Mojave builds could be possible.
@jeremymac I have updated my Github and do have a build that has working screen brightness and true sleep working. I also have a separate EFI where I got the GTX 1050 working. There's still lots of bugs with that one, so I kinda doubled back to using the HD 630.

Motherboard
MS-1799 MSI GL72M UEFI Clover
CPU
i7 7700HQ
Graphics
GTX 1050 1920x1080
Mac
MacBook Pro
@jeremymac I have updated my Github and do have a build that has working screen brightness and true sleep working. I also have a separate EFI where I got the GTX 1050 working. There's still lots of bugs with that one, so I kinda doubled back to using the HD 630.
I will take a look and see if i can have success with mine! Thanks so much!