i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
When most macOS compatible cards start at over $300 or more, it's good to see you can still get something that works with Sierra through Big Sur for less than $70. Gives you graphics acceleration and Metal support. You can put one in most any form factor case, use HDMI 1.4 or the DVI ouput with most any monitor. Plug and play, it just works with no effort on your part. Provides only iGPU like graphics performance so don't expect to game with this unless it's Dota 2 on medium settings at 1080p. Install it on AMD hacks that have no iGPU that works in macOS. Most flexible of any card you can buy for use in a hackintosh these days. Best of all, these are in stock too.

1628172386169.png
Screen Shot 7.jpg

Last edited:
When you search Amazon for an RX560 there really isn't anything available that will work with macOS. All you can get is over-priced XFX 560s that don't even have a macOS compatible Vbios or no-name brand cards that may not even be genuine. The XFX is mostly useless for macOS unless you flash it. Not something I want to do with a new card.

$499.99 = a complete ripoff for the buyer.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

Even on Newegg the prices are 2-3x too high. Do not buy these for your hackintosh.

Screen Shot 11.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't notice it was a PCIe x1 card till I read the review and saw how many cards they installed in the example/ screenshot in the review. Looking at the image you provided should make that clear, but it is easily missed.

I'm not sure given it is a x1 card that it would be very good for a Hack system. Even if it can drive a single display at 4K@60Hz on a Windows system. This link explains how they have tweaked the system to run at 4K60 instead of 4K30 - https://www.anandtech.com/show/8191/nvidia-kepler-cards-get-hdmi-4k60hz-support-kind-of

I think the intended purpose is for this card to drive multiple 1080i/p screens for video, such as you would use in a CCTV monitoring workstation.

I doubt the Nvidia drivers in macOS or Linux have been adapted to work the same as the drivers in Windows.

Didn't notice it was a PCIe x1 card till I read the review and saw how many cards they installed in the example/ screenshot in the review.
I used to have a Zotac GT 710 which was also PCIe x1 and it didn't work with Big Sur. So yes, I think it's best to stay with the cards that are PCIe x8 that fit in a full size x16 slot. From what I've read of user reviews, this 4 HDMI port Asus card is primarily for digital signage and stock traders that need 4 displays for their trading online.

This pic shows that it is x1 much more clearly.

1628427586096.png

Last edited:
This is the Asus GT 710 2GB card that I own and use in one of my hacks:

ASUS GT710-SL-2GD5-BRK GeForce GT 710 2GB GDDR5 great value graphics with passive 0dB efficient cooling includes LP brackets - £50 at Amazon.co.uk

51sMCSXKtwL._AC_.jpg 61SQMMMzF+L._AC_SL1000_.jpg 41qKEjtnbLL._AC_.jpg

• Both the DVI and HDMI ports work, never needed to try the VGA port.
  • DVI connector drives a 1920x 1080 display, would probably drive a slightly larger display but not tried it.
  • HDMI will drive a 2560 x 1440 display.
  • As the largest resolution on my monitors is 2560x 1440 I have never tried using it with a 3840 x 2160 display, which Asus say it can drive.
  • Works out of the box, in macOS El Capitan onwards, even though it is a 2017 card.
  • Not tried this card in an earlier version of macOS.
  • I usually use my old AMD HD5450, HD6450 and HD7870 cards when running earlier versions of OS X.

This is the Asus GT 710 2GB card that I own
That's one of the better choices along with the MSI DDR3 cards mentioned above. Does it look like it will keep support in Monterey or do you think Apple will drop it by the time of the Public release this Fall ?

Personally I am expecting Apple to drop Nvidia with the GM release of Monterey, as none of the 'Supported' iMac's. MBA's or MBP's use any Nvidia cards.

MBA's and MBP's switched to Intel IGPU's only and the iMac's switched to Intel & AMD in 2015.

The only supported system that 'could' use an Nvidia dGPU would be the newest Mac Pro 7,1. Everything else seems to have the dGPU built in to the logic board and it to be non-interchangeable.

We might be able to extract the last version of the Nvidia kexts from Big Sur and inject them via OpenCore, but for that we will need to wait and see.

The only supported system that 'could' use an Nvidia dGPU would be the newest Mac Pro 7,1. Everything else seems to have the dGPU built in to the logic board and it to be non-interchangeable.
I think SMBIOS = MacPro6.1 is also a recommended choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back